Old 20 October 2004, 13:25   #21

Town: South coast
Boat name: Boats
Length: 6m +
Scorpions are not all they are cracked up to be.

Owners are extremely loyal to the brand, could be because the price they pay. Then again most owners like the brand they purchased.

They do have a tendency to stuff. Look at the amount that have cracked/broken screens.
Old 20 October 2004, 13:37   #22

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSimon
They do have a tendency to stuff
You're clearly thinking of taxidermists. We're talking about Scorpions
Quote:
Look at the amount that have cracked/broken screens.
Never seen one, only ever heard of one, and the discerning owner nobly accepted "driver error".

Having said that, you look a bit like a gnome from where I'm sitting - one with a little fishing rod! Mackrel for dinner anyone?
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2004, 14:26   #23

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Strange. Mr Jelly seems to be able to sell plenty of 'em

Quote:
Owners are extremely loyal to the brand, could be because the price they pay. Then again most owners like the brand they purchased.
'Strue. Few will admit to buying something thats no good. Human nature.
Disagree about price tho. I bought my Scorp & sold it for a very reasonable price thanks. Cheaper than a Revenger!

Quote:
They do have a tendency to stuff. Look at the amount that have cracked/broken screens.
Do they? Where's your evidence? The only Scorp I've been aware of with a stuffing / screen incident was Hot Lemon doing safety for the cancelled Cowes Torquay this year. I do admit to stuffing both a 7.5 and 9.5m Scorpion. But also an Avon 6.2m, BWM DS21 & Humber 6m. My mate stuffed his Cobra 7.5m. And I saw a bloke stuff a Ribcraft once. So actually what you meant to say was "all ribs have a tendancy to stuff" wasn't it?
Old 20 October 2004, 21:31   #24

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Screen?

Quote:

Screen?

Mine doesn't have a screen. Sunglasses only!
Old 21 October 2004, 13:31   #25

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
thanks for the performance figures guys, no louise i havent been out on either boats but have been out on a revenger 25 which i liked the ride of and tickled pink at ribex which was simply the softest riding rib i have ever been on.. loved it!!

i have to entertain simple simon a bit because i have no knowledge of if scorpions happen to stuff alot, maybe its the weather scorpion drivers go out in? maybe its their driving? maybe its just like any other boat in a following sea b23 excluded and with a warped v they should be great in a following sea however i have noticed on alot of 2nd hand scorpions (not just one or two)that the tubes are torn or have been repaired with a new patch right at the bow of the boat where the tube meets the point..

does make me wonder!

my only real problem with scorpions is i think (imho)the interiors are typical rib, square and boring.. love the rest though
Old 21 October 2004, 13:41   #26

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash
i have noticed on alot of 2nd hand scorpions (not just one or two)that the tubes are torn or have been repaired with a new patch right at the bow of the boat where the tube meets the point..

does make me wonder!
Our tubes seem to be very firmly attached and, AFAIK, they are the original tubes from when the boat was built in 1996. Having said that, I think Scorpion/Graham Jelley did find a problem with a few. When the tubes started to detach from the hull of a cabin Scorpion, the following response was posted on RIBnet: http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....=scorpion+tube .

HTH
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2004, 14:55   #27

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
maybe its just like any other boat in a following sea... and with a warped v they should be great in a following sea
Glen, they are great in a following sea!
Quote:
however i have noticed on alot of 2nd hand scorpions (not just one or two)that the tubes are torn or have been repaired with a new patch right at the bow of the boat where the tube meets the point..
One vulnerability is that with such a high bow (look at a Scorpion berthed next to another RIB) you won't bounce off a pontoon at the front - you're more likely to run up it and damage the tube underneath, so it's likely that you've seen a sign that the owner's a bit throttle happy when parking! But that high bow is very forgiving out at sea and will go a long way to stopping a stuff... haven't stuffed mine yet!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2004, 15:11   #28

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
The Scorpion will do with a 225 and after a lot of playing about with props max 50 MPH not knots. Cruising at about 25 on the chop and 30-35 on the flat. Has huge amounts of storage space inside, is extremely heavy boat and it handles waves very well.
If you want speed and a cruising configuration you need to try something different. The Sport RIB is an option as it may be fast (so they say, I don't know my self). But how fast one can go when one cruises. IMHO these hulls have VERY limited market apeal. Also these hulls are not popular due to the rediculous high price tag (as much as a 33 ft cruiser ).
I think a 2nd hand in VGC Osprey may be a good choice (for the amount of money you want to spend 30-35K) or something similar.
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2004, 15:22   #29

Town: South coast
Boat name: Boats
Length: 6m +
The hard nose version certainly is prone to stuffing. The hull design is fine for Solent type chop, however in normal rough seas and with a greater wave frequency they do stuff. Ask Mr Jelly how many screens he replaces.

Latest mark 2 versions 8.1 and above are much more stylish and expensive.

Yes in the past they had a problem with tubes ripping off, OK now. That's why many go for the hard nose.

Revengers require to be driven fast, very fast
Old 21 October 2004, 15:34   #30

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Quote:
The hard nose version certainly is prone to stuffing. Ask Mr Jelly how many screens he replaces.
In Greece we have a say YOU CAN SEE A GOOD SKIPPER WHEN THE SEA IS ROUGH

Quote:
Ask Mr Jelly how many screens he replaces.
Is that the Cow Boy guy? with the Cowboy boots (instead of deck shoes) and the scarf round his neck (instead of a life jacket)??
Old 21 October 2004, 18:55   #31

Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: tbc
Make: Sunseeker (AshleyD)
Engine: 2 x coal burners
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos
Is that the Cow Boy guy? with the Cowboy boots (instead of deck shoes) and the scarf round his neck (instead of a life jacket)??
Really Manos I feel that I must jump to the defence of the said leather boots. Deck shoes, or flip flops, maybe ok in Greece but if you boat all year round in the UK those Dubarrys are well worth the money. Not only do they keep you feet warm & dry, but I am convinced they have increased my appeal to the opposite sex as in a poorly lit pub, at the end of a days boating, I look like a scaffolder when wearing them

Regards.
Old 21 October 2004, 19:52   #32

good try and agree if you sail in the middle of the winter, but why you need to have those on when is 25C and at the boat show still bits me and makes me and many many others laugh. The only thing is missing is a horse a heard of cows
Old 22 October 2004, 16:52   #33

Quote:
The hard nose version certainly is prone to stuffing. The hull design is fine for Solent type chop, however in normal rough seas and with a greater wave frequency they do stuff. Ask Mr Jelly how many screens he replaces.

Yes in the past they had a problem with tubes ripping off, OK now. That's why many go for the hard nose.

why would people choose a hard nose if its so prone to stuffing?? doesnt make sense.. and why would a hard nose stuff more, they tend to cut through better and are usually a feature of most ribs that have problems with stuffing... please dont say its to do with the forward bouyancy of the tubes cause that will start the old hard boat v rib debate... besides there is natural bouyancy in a hard nose due to the internal space and air inside. the 2 psi pressure of a tube has little difference to a hard sealed rp formation.

i have to challenge you simon, im not a scorpion owner so not biased, whats confusing me is that your opinion seems to be different to 99.99% of ribnet population, rib magazine, motorboats monthly every other publication that has ever been in a scorpion and even scorpions major competition. I am not saying your wrong, i am open to all opinions,experiences but could you please justify your comments, how do you know all this about scorpions?? why do your feel your right? i will ask graham tommorrow about the screens when i pay a visit to the yard, maybe he will have a theory

gt
Old 22 October 2004, 17:36   #34

It all depends on how you drive a boat.

If you get caught anware on any fast boat the bow will go under whatever material its nose is made out. If you drive it correctly, it will ride fine. Nothing to do with hard, soft or a bloody nose I'm affraid
Old 24 October 2004, 21:01   #35

simon? you gone quiet
Old 24 October 2004, 22:14   #36

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
with a warped v they should be great in a following sea however i have noticed on alot of 2nd hand scorpions (not just one or two)that the tubes are torn or have been repaired with a new patch right at the bow of the boat where the tube meets the point..

does make me wonder!

You'd be right there , the join area at the bow does wear It's the only bit of grief I have had with my hull/tubes.

Personally I don't think there is a lot too chose from between a revenger and a Scorpion
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote