Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 03 October 2002, 18:50   #1

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
How many on this site in boating industry ?

How many of you chaps / lasses on this site are actually employed in the marine industry ?

It would be interesting to hear as I get the impression that many of you are instructors, etc but is this part time or full time ?

How many times have I sat in the office playing the boring banker wishing I was out and about messing around on boats or working in Marinas

One day..........

Also John K. do you run this excellent site full time or employed elsewhere ?
Old 03 October 2002, 22:17   #2

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Not me I'm afraid. My role is in keeping the nation in thirteen amp sockets!, doorbells and smoke detectors!
Old 03 October 2002, 23:34   #3

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
I'm an It manager , well mangler really. however I am working towards making a living from the marine industry within the next two years
Old 04 October 2002, 00:15   #4

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Me neither. Building up my own IT/Electronics company. Teach Sailing and PBing as a 'hobby' and for a (very) small amt. of pocket money here and there - although this seams to be at least once a week this summer!

Daniel
Old 04 October 2002, 07:33   #5
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Re: How many on this site in boating industry ?

Quote:
Originally posted by matiboy
Also John K. do you run this excellent site full time or employed elsewhere ?
Although I spend more time on this site than I should (and there is still al load of stuff I want to do to improve it), it is by no means a paying job. There are a few advertisers who cover the cash costs (thank you!), but there's very little surplus.

I am an RYA Advanced Powerboat Instructor, but I do very little of it. It's not a good way to try to make a living as there are too many people doing it as a lifestyle choice (backed up by other income such as a pension from a previous career), or as a hobby "for a very small amount of pocket money" -- also training private individuals, as opposed to corporate training, severely limits the daily rate that can be achieved.

I have worked as a project manager and IT consultant, but now all my time is taken up with running a firework display company. Another way not to get rich quickly! As you will see from www.swpf.com I shouldn't really be spending any time on RIBnet as I haven't even got my "work" web site completed . . .

John
Old 04 October 2002, 08:25   #6

Re: Re: How many on this site in boating industry ?

Quote:
Originally posted by John Kennett
Although I spend more time on this site than I should
You an me both!
Old 04 October 2002, 16:54   #7

Town: Cheltenham
As you asked, Im on the sidelines / partime on the water.

To earn money, I work in a bank, part of my role is looking at shipping, which I read at uni.

With my leisure hat, im a RYA Power instructor, RYA Advanced, and a few lesser things, but not Advanced Power as I don't teach beyond sailing clubs and outdoor activity organisations. Its not worth the cost in my case.

There has always been a gulf of opinion between "professional" mariners and the "leisure" mariners, but there is a definite comparison at the top of the leisure users ability. By that I mean experiance wise, the guy who drives the river taxi on the Thames and smashes into the jetty would not pass a my L2 power course!!!, where as, I know some of the young sailors I taught in Plymouth who are now around 16 and can seriously drive a 6.5m etc in serious weather!

If I could earn a crust bumming around on boats in the Pacific Islands, I would be there! Well I just have, but Ill tell you about that another time soon.
Old 04 October 2002, 18:36   #8

Town: Salisbury
Part time instructors

many of you have mentioned tht you are part time instructors, how does the insurance costs make it viable ?

Surely this prohibits doing this on a small scale ?
Old 04 October 2002, 20:30   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
As you asked, Im on the sidelines / partime on the water.

To earn money, I work in a bank, part of my role is looking at shipping, which I read at uni.

'Ere Tiger you didn't study at University of South West in Plimuff did you? I ask 'cos I did my degree in Shipping and Navigation there myself.

Cheers,
Alan
Old 04 October 2002, 22:37   #10

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Matiboy,

The insurance costs are paid by the school, who would be insured for a suitably qualified/experienced instuctor to teach people. sp peoviding said instructor is working through a school the insurance is akready being paid for .
Old 07 October 2002, 08:29   #11

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Greetings Alan
Both Tiger and I were both at UoP aledgedley working on marine related courses, spending too much time on the water
He passed I didn't
I'm now in IT working on satelite comm links for odd places round.
Jelly
Old 08 October 2002, 20:57   #12

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: AYSEN
Make: DELTA
Engine: Mariner 100 hp
Plymouth Mafia

Alan, yes the re-titled uni of Plymouth is still sending out marine people to take over every part of the industry, at sea or the office, on yachts and tankers. I did Maritime biz + law and stumbled into a job in shipping.

On the side lines, back then when I was a lad, I understand that the uni had the largest number of powerboat instructors in one establshment (easily over 18).

Those were the days when you could test the design limit of the boats and of course, those that taught us had never heard of red tape and rules. A bit different now!!!

Unfortunately there are only about 6 of these actively earning the ticket, all of them part-time and most run regatta safety for events. some of the others are active, but no ticket anymore.

rgds

Old 09 October 2002, 15:38   #13

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
You could say I'm aiming for a career in the maritime industry. Once I turn 18, I'm off to the Navy to try to become a navy diver, with an ultimate aim of getting into the EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal for them wot dont know) unit. Yes, I do believe I'm insane. I WANT to spend my life defusing mines underwater, in pitch black, by touch alone, after spending time on a big fibreglass boat.

Matt
Old 09 October 2002, 16:22   #14
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
Marine Industry

I am not connected to marine industry but own and attempt to manage a Marquee hiire company (for sale!) I am also RYA Powerboat and Safety Boat instructor but only teach at our Sailing Club , Hayling Island Sailing Club ( the new Kremlin being built at Sandy Point)
www.hisc.co.uk
Old 09 October 2002, 21:20   #15

Re: Plymouth Mafia

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiger 2
On the side lines, back then when I was a lad, I understand that the uni had the largest number of powerboat instructors in one establshment (easily over 18).
Ahh back in the days when I were a lad I can recall doing my RYA Sportsboat Cert (now that dates me as thats pre Powerboat) we did our powerboat training in a couple of Dell Quay dories and a Zodiac inflatable. Not a RIB to be seen!

I graduated in '90. First year to do the Marine Studies degree after it changed from the old Naut(y)cal Science degree.

Them war the days............
Old 09 October 2002, 22:48   #16

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
When I finished my IT degree from Middlesbrough - lovely place I joined the National Rivers Authority - I was supposed to do technical things with graphs and computers - I prefered playing - I meen working on their Cobra RIB taking water samples - Theres something nice about filling it up with fuel in the service station and then paying with a fuel card knowing that the tax you pay had put a smile on your face all day!

I then moved to the NRA head Office in Bristol and met my Wife Cath - who still works there and who currently works putting on displays such as the Environment Agency's (as they are now) stand at the London Boat Show.

I'm still firmly in IT - now Motorola (why don't we make a marine radio?) and boating is "Just for fun"

Jools