Old 26 December 2011, 07:10   #121

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Great News Tony
I would suggest they stop trading as it is not working for them.
Tim
Old 11 January 2012, 12:03   #122

Town: Bursledon
Boat name: Mustard
Make: Ribeye 785
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 200/Merc 6
MMSI: 235068693
Just to close this off, I now have all my money back!

Let's hope that they can either get the business back onto its' feet or pack up!

My thanks to the forum for the outstanding level of support!
Old 11 January 2012, 12:20   #123

Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABS
Just to close this off, I now have all my money back!

Let's hope that they can either get the business back onto its' feet or pack up!

My thanks to the forum for the outstanding level of support!
. Great news
hadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2012, 19:48   #124

Town: Northumberland
Boat name: Dr Doof
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 125hp
MMSI: 235082981
Good news, glad you got sorted.

Hope they manage to get things turned around.
Old 12 January 2012, 14:12   #125

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Glad it worked out for you in the end
Old 14 January 2012, 11:28   #126

Town: london
Boat name: top banana
Make: scorpion
Engine: outboard jhonson 70
unfortunatley the trading gate has been left open for other unfortunate person or persons to get screwed ! NAME !
Old 14 January 2012, 12:00   #127
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Barry, there are enough clues in the thread above that any forum regular should be able to work it out. Its probably unlikely that a non-forum-regular would stumble across the vendor in question.

There is certainly a couple of general points worth considering though:
  • look at the location of the company supplying you with any bargain. Will you be able to enforce the law if they take your money and don't deliver, or the goods turn out faulty? e.g. a vendor in the Channel Islands might be problematic in this regards.
  • If someone doesn't take some form of credit card (even paypal) then you also need to be wary as it may suggest that the card company knows something you don't. if they do take credit cards is any small "premium" to pay be card worth it for reassurance?

Finally worth bearing in mind that in the world of internet bargains your local chandler where you physically can see the goods and hand over payment may not be a bad deal - once you add on shipping, credit card charges, and possibly even vat/duty from some non-EU places. Certainly our local place is very competitive.
Old 14 January 2012, 13:06   #128

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Sorry Neil I'm with Barry on this. I don't know who it is and I am quite a regular! So I don't want to be guessing wrong. Surely if you use the forum to 'vent' then I do think you have a duty to follow it thru as a matter of mutual concern and assistance
J

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2012, 15:37   #129

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Sorry I am with Jambo on this... Others could fall foul of the same problem. In addition it is nor doing the other trade members on the forum any favors as by not knowing people could cast doubt on the "Good" traders by mistake<<<
Just my two penny worth
Old 14 January 2012, 17:48   #130

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Barry, there are enough clues in the thread above that any forum regular should be able to work it out. Its probably unlikely that a non-forum-regular would stumble across the vendor in question.

There is certainly a couple of general points worth considering though:
  • look at the location of the company supplying you with any bargain. Will you be able to enforce the law if they take your money and don't deliver, or the goods turn out faulty? e.g. a vendor in the Channel Islands might be problematic in this regards.
  • If someone doesn't take some form of credit card (even paypal) then you also need to be wary as it may suggest that the card company knows something you don't. if they do take credit cards is any small "premium" to pay be card worth it for reassurance?
Finally worth bearing in mind that in the world of internet bargains your local chandler where you physically can see the goods and hand over payment may not be a bad deal - once you add on shipping, credit card charges, and possibly even vat/duty from some non-EU places. Certainly our local place is very competitive.
Earlier last year I asked CHANNEL RIBS for a price on some Raymarine kit, the price they gave me was higher than I could get it from my local chandlers so I didn't buy it from CHANNEL RIBS. I will definitely stick with my local supplier in future rather than risk buying from someone who isn't bound by UK law for example, CHANNEL RIBS I'm sure that CHANNEL RIBS are a sound trading company, I personally know people that have bought from them in the past without any problems.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2012, 17:58   #131

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
As subtle as ever PD!!

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2012, 18:21   #132

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
This thread has raised an interesting moral dilemma over the course of 14 pages. There are many people that knew who the offending vendor was but were clearly reluctant to say (me included). I wonder why that was? Perhaps it's a sign of the supportive nature of most forumites which is sometimes sadly lacking in many mainstream sectors of society which can be so quick to criticise. I'm sure we all know how a reputation can occasionally be unfairly tarnished.

Incidentally, this is not meant as a slur on Pikey Dave as I do feel he was stating the obvious, particularly after Polwart's good hint.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2012, 18:27   #133

RIBase
Now if JABS had named and shamed Mr Channel Ribs at the beginning of this thread what do you think his chances were of getting his money back ?? I think that JABS did the right thing and thankfully it paid off. I think that we have to give CR some credit for giving JABS is money back albeit in small payments a lot of other peeps out there wouldn't have given two shi.. er I mean hoots and kept the dosh, whether from the channel Islands or not.
Old 14 January 2012, 21:55   #134

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I have not read all this topic but in in the interests of balance I purchased a new VHF from CR last summer and the transaction was smooth and problem free.
Old 14 January 2012, 22:39   #135

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Incidentally, this is not meant as a slur on Pikey Dave as I do feel he was stating the obvious, particularly after Polwart's good hint.
No worries, non taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
I have not read all this topic but in in the interests of balance I purchased a new VHF from CR last summer and the transaction was smooth and problem free.
As I said, I know people who have made purchases from Channel Ribs & have been happy customers, it's not all bad. All companies make mistakes, errors, call it what you like. The mark of a good company is how they deal with it.
Never underestimate the power of the internet
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 10:06   #136
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Never underestimate the power of the internet
It's very much a double edged sword, isn't it! Traders who use RIBnet can expect to have their laundry very publicly washed, and EVERYONE has laundry. The flip side is that there is a rich seam of potential clients on here to be tapped into.

In the current economic climate, it is frighteningly easy for a small business to run out of cash and hit a brick wall. There's no point saying that the customer's cash should be in a "holding account" or whatever, that's not how small businesses work. They're very much "hand to mouth" - that's how they do the deals for you. It's a horrible place for a customer to get pinched, but I expect that it's no fun for the business either...

However the problem occurred (and I'm thinking: no money!) the seller has done exactly what I would have done in the same circumstances:

A. Stayed off RIBnet (no point standing about in Court).
B. Worked hard and paid the money back.
My next move would be:
C. Come back to RIBnet when the dust has settled, 'fess up and start over.

I know that the seller's business has suffered now because of this thread, not surprisingly, but there's always a way back.

And with that in mind: Always use a Credit Card when ordering goods for delivery, if you do that, you're safe to get the good deals online...
Old 15 January 2012, 10:08   #137

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
It's very much a double edged sword, isn't it! Traders who use RIBnet can expect to have their laundry very publicly washed, and EVERYONE has laundry. The flip side is that there is a rich seam of potential clients on here to be tapped into.

In the current economic climate, it is frighteningly easy for a small business to run out of cash and hit a brick wall. There's no point saying that the customer's cash should be in a "holding account" or whatever, that's not how small businesses work. They're very much "hand to mouth" - that's how they do the deals for you. It's a horrible place for a customer to get pinched, but I expect that it's no fun for the business either...

However the problem occurred (and I'm thinking: no money!) the seller has done exactly what I would have done in the same circumstances:

A. Stayed off RIBnet (no point standing about in Court).
B. Worked hard and paid the money back.
My next move would be:
C. Come back to RIBnet when the dust has settled, 'fess up and start over.

I know that the seller's business has suffered now because of this thread, not surprisingly, but there's always a way back.

And with that in mind: Always use a Credit Card when ordering goods for delivery, if you do that, you're safe to get the good deals online...
Very nicely put Mr willk.
Old 15 January 2012, 11:50   #138

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
PD said, " I know people who have made purchases from Channel Ribs & have been happy customers, it's not all bad. All companies make mistakes, errors, call it what you like. The mark of a good company is how they deal with it. D said..."

Willk said " It's very much a double edged sword, isn't it! Traders who use RIBnet can expect to have their laundry very publicly washed, and EVERYONE has laundry. The flip side is that there is a rich seam of potential clients on here to be tapped into. "

Both comments are spot on , but the truth is this particular trader HAS caused upsets to several RIBnetters in the past incuding myself ( Condurro Phone episode , and I did raise the issue with JK who tried to mediate ) , Knot Yet , who no longer posts ( over the bulk purchase of rescue beacons ) and at least one other regular poster who found dealings with CR , shall we say less than straightforward . I won't mention his name but his comments were quite open about the issue on the appropriate thread .

Sure everybody desrves a second chance , but the it's also true that where there's smoke there's fire !
Old 15 January 2012, 12:42   #139

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Martin lost a fair bit of money on the phones, I don't see anything in the thread that suggests he was at fault?
Old 15 January 2012, 12:51   #140

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Martini , Most of the aggro was not posted on the threads , but dealt with by pms 'tween myself , Martin & JK .

The fact that he was trading items in value of over £20 from the Channel Islands , attracted the attention of HMRC . They " confiscated goods " in transit and demanded extra payment from me for delivery . I was not the only person inconvenienced in this way . Martin felt he had done everything correctly . That is NO consolation to a punter caught up in the mess.