Old 27 October 2005, 17:37   #1

Town: Bella Coola
Boat name: Water Rocket
Make: Polaris
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin Yamaha 150 hp
How I spent my summer

Howdy Gang,
just had to check in and tell about Hank's most excellent adventure.
Since Feb. I've been working on a 110ft. steel (ex work boat, now a) yacht - Traveling from one end of British Columbia Canada to the other.
During that time we had two different movie crews on board the first was doing a Extreme skiing movie- we had a A Star Heli land on the deck and fly the filming crews and actors to the top of the glacier. Two filming crew on on different mountain facing the skiiers then the heli with another camera crew in the middle. The skiiers were wearing helmet mounted video cameras.
We got to see the video each night. Those skiiers get some serious air time and really don't have any fear. lots of laughs with that group

Our last filming crew was doing a IMAX 3D underwater movie-
what a camera it used 70mm film
it had twin lens (either a set of 40mm or 80mm) to see about what the human eye sees.
1000ft of film = 3minutes
I was really impressed with the quality of construction and how well the crew worked together. We had some great dives (only 2 days out of 30 that we didn't dive due to weather).
The camera operators were using rebreathers and the support crew SCUBA
The camera weighted 1800lbs. but was neutral in the water and they added bolt on lead weights to get it down.
The SCUBA divers would tow the camera housing with electric scooters to the site.
My job was to launch and recover the camera using our deck mounted hydraulic crane, The camera set up was worth over 2 million US$ so I was carefull.
Every night we would get to see the video footage shot that day.
When the job was over the filming crew took the boat crew to the IMAX theater in Vancouver BC for a preview -- Fantastic it was just like being there swimming with the wild life
The film is due out in Feb.'06

As for our 26ft. RIB we got twin 150hp Yamaha 4cycle beauties instead of the 2- 225 Hondas. It was Pretty Damn Quick with the Yammies at 300hp It would be insane with 450hp.

We had a curved dive ladder built for dive recovery but most of the time the divers returned to the big boat.

It is good to back on dry( it is raining outside) land for a change

It was a excellent time

happy trails
hank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imax-camera.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	15364   Click image for larger version

Name:	imaxuwcamerahank.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	15365   Click image for larger version

Name:	polarius.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	15366  
Old 27 October 2005, 17:46   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Wow what a lifestyle!!!

Nice to see people still using film instead of digital - the bigger the neg the better!!!

Didn't realise Imax has been around for a long time now - 70mm film was being used many years ago.
Old 28 October 2005, 02:08   #3

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Hank - sounds like the experience of a lifetime! Thanks for the update and pictures. Please post more if you have some.