Old 07 November 2011, 17:10   #1

Town: London
Length: no boat
How far to travel for a day on the rib

We are still not sure whether to keep the rib on a trailer in our garage or leave it in a marina.

I will most probably be living in Midlands (near Warwick) so far enough from any open water. Form there to Southampton is just over 2hrs but not sure how often I may be able to tow the rib.

Again, we don't want to just try one location and the whole point of selling my previous boat was that we got bored of staying in Thames.

Just wondering if anyone here lives far enough from any open sea, and travels regularly (ish) to use the rib? And how far? and how often do you use?
Old 07 November 2011, 17:32   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I know people who use their boat almost every weekend and travel 2.5hrs each way to do so, and I know people who are walking distance from the slipway and don't use it even once a month. So I don't think distance is the key factor. Other things (wives, children, work etc) get in the way. If you remove the hassle factor from launch and recovery (by dry stack / marina) then you may well use it more. On the other hand if you are based in the midlands then if the boat is in S'ampton then it will get left unused if you decide to spend the weekend in wales, cornwall or even head to civilisation (north of the M6!) for the weekend, when you might have dragged the boat otherwise. Nobody else can tell you what will work for you, and what works this year might be different from next...
Old 07 November 2011, 17:34   #3

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
My nearest launch point is 45 mins from Bristol Marina and 1 hour from Portishead. I used to regularly tow the boat down to Southampton, Teignmouth, Salcombe, Rock all at least 2 hours away.

It is a bit of a ball ache to be honest however I think its worth it as you do get to check out lots of new places whereas if your boat was at a dry stack you would naturally tend to spend more time in the area your boat is stored.

I would stick to the trailer and then you can always leave it on a mooring somewhere over summer for a few weeks and then plan some weekends around it.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2011, 17:36   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal View Post
We are still not sure whether to keep the rib on a trailer in our garage or leave it in a marina.

I will most probably be living in Midlands (near Warwick) so far enough from any open water. Form there to Southampton is just over 2hrs but not sure how often I may be able to tow the rib.

Again, we don't want to just try one location and the whole point of selling my previous boat was that we got bored of staying in Thames.

Just wondering if anyone here lives far enough from any open sea, and travels regularly (ish) to use the rib? And how far? and how often do you use?
My rib is stored in NN17 and I launch at Southampton & the east coast on Day trips and even do Cornwall for weekends
Old 07 November 2011, 17:56   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
We are in South Yorks & Whitby is our "local" launch, 2 hrs away. We've done Anglesey a couple of times which is 3 hours. We regularly do the Farnes / Seahouses for the weekend or even the day, which is 170miles each way. Saying that, I'm off to Glasgow in the morning to carryout an inspection which should take me a couple of hours & then drive back. 500 mile round trip, 10 hours driving for 2 hours work.
Keep the trailer!
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2011, 18:53   #6

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Some questions to ask yourself are:
How heavy is the boat/trailer?
What is your trailer nose weight
How capable is your vehicle at towing?
How confident are you towing?
How handy are you at maintaining trailer brakes and bearings?
Would you have all the necessary to be able to change a wheel?

If all your answers are positive then definitely keep your RIB on the trailer as it opens up endless possibilities - you are only limited by your imagination.
With my previous twin engined 6.5 m I often left home @ 0630 - towed it 85 miles - launched at Cushendall - went to Ardbeg with the Redbay gang for lunch - reversed the journey and back home for 2200 - what a blast.
Old 07 November 2011, 19:18   #7

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet
Some questions to ask yourself are:
How heavy is the boat/trailer?
What is your trailer nose weight
How capable is your vehicle at towing?
How confident are you towing?
How handy are you at maintaining trailer brakes and bearings?
Would you have all the necessary to be able to change a wheel?

If all your answers are positive then definitely keep your RIB on the trailer as it opens up endless possibilities - you are only limited by your imagination.
With my previous twin engined 6.5 m I often left home @ 0630 - towed it 85 miles - launched at Cushendall - went to Ardbeg with the Redbay gang for lunch - reversed the journey and back home for 2200 - what a blast.
You were brave towing that rib round those narrow lanes as I now know.
Old 07 November 2011, 19:37   #8

Town: Northampton
Make: RibTec
Engine: Outbaord mariner 75
I live in the Midlands. Well just in Northamptonshire and we do Poole and Portsmouth regually with no issues.
Old 07 November 2011, 19:52   #9

Town: London
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp
It just depends on your circumstances;
Can you afford fuel cost both for your car and your rib? Do you have a reliable car for towing? Can you tow confidently?

Are you passionate enough to wake up at 4am on a Saturday Morning to leave before a low tide Poole for example and then get home after 10pm?!

Things to consider: Cost, Time, Car for towing, reliable trailer, your capability.

If not, then consider a bigger SIB with 15-20hp outboard so you can pack them and just drive to wherever you fancy each weekend.

A 4m SIB, with 20hp outboard is quite a capable boat.
Old 07 November 2011, 20:03   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Starting to feel a bit it guilty about moaning about towing mine the 8 miles to hamble now!
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2011, 20:21   #11

Town: Stotfold
Boat name: kimozo 2
Make: Ribtec
Engine: Mercury 115 efi 4 st
As Has been said before car, trailer ,ability to tow launch etcwill be a decieding factor, My 4 mtr sib +25hp is on a trailer, i live in hertfordshire, most places are about 100mls /2hrs from us, we go to Whitstable, sheerness, poole , shoreham, alderburgh & the norfolk broads . with the boat at home on trailer we are not tied to same place every time, we try to use boat as much as time allows, & tides/weather often deciedes where we go .
Old 08 November 2011, 11:14   #12

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
One of the major advantages of Rib's IMO is the Towability of such a seaworthy craft,and the great diversity of our Island coastline they can open up, to experiance and explore.After spending some time in Texas,and seeing the distances those giuys travel for thier sport, believe me, no-where is THAT far over here!Have RIB - will Travel...just make sure the Trailer is Good!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2011, 13:52   #13

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm
Starting to feel a bit it guilty about moaning about towing mine the 8 miles to hamble now!
I was just thinking the same thing. Don't know if I could cope with all that towing now

sent from a remote device
Old 08 November 2011, 14:18   #14
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by discomick View Post
You were brave towing that rib round those narrow lanes as I now know.

Lanes!? Those are flippin' motorways mate. Two cars can pass on them! I towed to Redbay for the same trips and for the first mile, the tubes touched both hedgerows! Towing to the Donegal coast from my gaff is 40 miles and as the trip progresses, I'm pulling in for lorries and finally cars...

I'll grant you that the Glendun viaduct and it's wee neighbour to the north need to be approached with good brakes and a sound heart!
Old 08 November 2011, 15:22   #15

Town: Northampton
Make: RibTec
Engine: Outbaord mariner 75
I used to tow the old girl down to Plymouth and back in a day!!
or Sarnau by Cardigan. but thoes days are gone. :-)

with a good trailer and a descent car you can get to many places to launch without issus.

Launching can be tide dependant but not if you choose good slipways that are accessable at all states of the tide.