Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 21 October 2012, 16:18   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50HP Tohatsu TLDI
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 128
How do you grease the steering?

Hi there,

I want to know how to grease my steering and how often it should be done?

(I know this is probably a very simply answer and I think I have answered my own questions below, but I am very new to all of this and want to double check before I go out and buy grease guns etc and try myself!)

Below is a picture of the steering on my Tohatsu engine.




I only recently noticed the two nipples on it (in the red circles) and I assume you grease the steering cable via this?

How often should you grease it? and is general purpose lithium grease ok to use?

Also I need to buy a grease gun. I found these two on ebay, will they do?...

GREASE GUN SET PISTOL GRIP WITH CARTRIDGE FLEXIBLE HOSE FOR HARD TO REACH PLACES | eBay

Hilka Greasing Gun with Flexible & Rigid Delivery Tubes & 1 85g Grease Cartridge | eBay


They have general purpose lithium grease with them and I need to also use this grease gun for my trailer too. I understand your meant to use high temp grease in the wheel bearings, but will the ebay general purpose lithium grease suffice for me? So you know my trailer is ONLY ever pushed about by hand, never driven!


Thanks for your help
__________________

__________________
J@mes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2012, 16:32   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,693
Hello James

Those two grease points are for the tilt, not the steering. Theres another one or two on the steering tube within the engine lower down but again they do not grease the steering cable itself. There is no way to grease the steering without removing the steering cable. We then do it with a 16mm extended drill bit to remove all of the corrosion and old grease. Sometimes this is not possible without removing the engine due to the layout of the transom.

There was a product on eBay a while back called "steering saver" which replaced the brass holding nut on the steering cable with one that had a grease nipple. Great idea.

The usual way currently is to just extend the steering fully and clean off as best you can the exposed cable before greasing and turning it back in.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
__________________

__________________
Boats&Outboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2012, 16:36   #3
Member
 
Peter_C's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,485
^Yeah what he said. I open too many windows at once and it can take a while to work my way down the line.


Those zerk fittings are for the tilt of the motor not for the steering cable. Most all steering cables are not able to be lubed inside. In the past I had saved a frozen Morse cable by drilling a hole, then working it deep enough, without nicking the cable, using a Dremel type tool to allow a zerk fitting to be installed. After pumping a lot of grease into it, and working it back and forth I was able to bring it back to life as new. Water is the demise of cables. You can lube the part that sticks out with some grease and it will pull a little into the cable housing, but not enough to make a difference if the cable is stiff.

If you don't own a grease gun you should. How else do you lube your trailer bearings? I have three grease guns, one for each type of grease I use. Personally I wouldn't bother with one of those baby grease guns. The refills are hard to find compared to a full size gun, plus operating costs are higher as you pay the same for less grease. Also having a flexible hose is nice.
__________________
Peter_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2012, 17:55   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50HP Tohatsu TLDI
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 128
Ok so it seams I was not right and its not as simple as I first thought! lol I am glad I asked now!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Hello James

Those two grease points are for the tilt, not the steering. Theres another one or two on the steering tube within the engine lower down but again they do not grease the steering cable itself. There is no way to grease the steering without removing the steering cable. We then do it with a 16mm extended drill bit to remove all of the corrosion and old grease. Sometimes this is not possible without removing the engine due to the layout of the transom.

There was a product on eBay a while back called "steering saver" which replaced the brass holding nut on the steering cable with one that had a grease nipple. Great idea.

The usual way currently is to just extend the steering fully and clean off as best you can the exposed cable before greasing and turning it back in.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Thanks for the info! The "steering saver" does sound like a good idea, though I couldn't find it on ebay! Don't suppose you know where else you can buy one from?!

So by the sounds of it, you have to remove/unwind the steering cable (from the steering wheel end?) to be able to do anything about it?! How often do they normally need attention? My boat is brand new so I hope I wont have to do this any time soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
^Yeah what he said. I open too many windows at once and it can take a while to work my way down the line.

Those zerk fittings are for the tilt of the motor not for the steering cable. Most all steering cables are not able to be lubed inside. In the past I had saved a frozen Morse cable by drilling a hole, then working it deep enough, without nicking the cable, using a Dremel type tool to allow a zerk fitting to be installed. After pumping a lot of grease into it, and working it back and forth I was able to bring it back to life as new. Water is the demise of cables. You can lube the part that sticks out with some grease and it will pull a little into the cable housing, but not enough to make a difference if the cable is stiff.

If you don't own a grease gun you should. How else do you lube your trailer bearings? I have three grease guns, one for each type of grease I use. Personally I wouldn't bother with one of those baby grease guns. The refills are hard to find compared to a full size gun, plus operating costs are higher as you pay the same for less grease. Also having a flexible hose is nice.
Yeah I know I need a grease gun! lol. My boat/trailer was brand new this summer and I have never needed a grease gun until now! The trailer is only moved about by hand, it is never hitched to a car, so I havnt needed to grease the bearings yet, but I obviously will at some point!

I didn't realise those two grease guns were small baby ones lol. Though I have to take it via hand luggage on a plane, so I may have no choice! What size cartridges do normal grease guns use?

Also if I did get one of those ebay baby grease guns linked above, is the multi purpose lithium grease that comes with them ok to use on all the grease nipples on my Tohatsu engine and also the trailer bearings? If not what do you recommend?

Thanks.
__________________
J@mes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2012, 18:23   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by J@mes
Ok so it seams I was not right and its not as simple as I first thought! lol I am glad I asked now!!!

Thanks for the info! The "steering saver" does sound like a good idea, though I couldn't find it on ebay! Don't suppose you know where else you can buy one from?!

So by the sounds of it, you have to remove/unwind the steering cable (from the steering wheel end?) to be able to do anything about it?! How often do they normally need attention? My boat is brand new so I hope I wont have to do this any time soon!

Thanks.
Undo the 15mm nut on the return bar from the steering cable port side (just above your serial plate in the picture). The undo the brass nut (forget the size but think its around 30mm) from the other side (as it enters through the engine). If your lucky you may have enough room on your setup to extract the entire cable this way (you won't need to touch the steering wheel end). Then clean, run that drill through the engine and refit. You shouldn't need to do it that often, usually regular use will keep it free, its up for debate when way to store it, some prefer the cable hidden inside (hard to port) some like it exposed as it is in your picture. For my money I'd bearer it exposed so you can clean it off, once its stuck inside its difficult to shift sometimes and needs a few taps with a lump to get it moving, too much and you can damage the cable.

Alternately you can swap the cable every 5 or so seasons if it becomes a concern but I think you'll be fine.

Pictures show the process for adding grease fitting if desired, like you I cannot find any links for the part ATM which would suggest it didn't take off, it truth its not really that big a problem if the boats looked after.

Here's a link to process of removing steering if required.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_5801846_lu...ing-cable.html

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4106132926.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	73452   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2353708011.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	73453   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2079410741.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	73454  
__________________
Boats&Outboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2012, 18:54   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50HP Tohatsu TLDI
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Undo the 15mm nut on the return bar from the steering cable port side (just above your serial plate in the picture). The undo the brass nut (forget the size but think its around 30mm) from the other side (as it enters through the engine). If your lucky you may have enough room on your setup to extract the entire cable this way (you won't need to touch the steering wheel end). Then clean, run that drill through the engine and refit. You shouldn't need to do it that often, usually regular use will keep it free, its up for debate when way to store it, some prefer the cable hidden inside (hard to port) some like it exposed as it is in your picture. For my money I'd bearer it exposed so you can clean it off, once its stuck inside its difficult to shift sometimes and needs a few taps with a lump to get it moving, too much and you can damage the cable.

Alternately you can swap the cable every 5 or so seasons if it becomes a concern but I think you'll be fine.

Pictures show the process for adding grease fitting if desired, like you I cannot find any links for the part ATM which would suggest it didn't take off, it truth its not really that big a problem if the boats looked after.

Here's a link to process of removing steering if required.

How to Lubricate a Boat Steering Cable | eHow.co.uk

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007

Fantastic help Peter, really appreciate that!

As for what grease to get for using on the tilt nipples etc on my outboard and also to use on my trailer bearings (the trailer is only moved about by hand, never hitched to a car!) do you think this will do? Hilka Manual Greasing Gun with 397g Grease Cartridge 3 Way Fill & Flexible Hose | eBay (multi purpose Lithium grease)

or should I also buy say something like this?... Lucas Oil Red n Tacky Marine Grease Water Resistant Cartridge | eBay

Ideally I want to use just one marine multi purpose grease if possible!

Thanks.
__________________
J@mes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2012, 20:17   #7
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Force 4 sell the steering saver nuts, but I can't remember what they call them.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2012, 22:24   #8
Member
 
Peter_C's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,485
For grease I just run the bluish marine grease and have been for years. The marine grease you mention above should be just fine.

When it comes to grease guns, I prefer a gun that can be used single handed. The funky handle you show would require two hands. Sometimes you have to hold the zerk fitting on so single handed is nice to have. The flexible tube allows you to get into hard to reach areas. They do not seem to be as common in Europe as they are here in the USA.

In order of cost which probably relates to quality.
DRAPER PROFESSIONAL HEAVY DUTY PISTOL-TYPE GREASE GUN | eBay
Pro Air Grease Gun - Lever Or Pistol Grip - Extendable - Aluminium Head | eBay
Sealey Die Cast Pistol Type Grease Gun, 400g AK446 | eBay
__________________
Peter_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2012, 03:18   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,693
Your welcome

If its a new rig I'd not change it yet, wait a season or two then fit the saver.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
__________________
Boats&Outboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2012, 07:45   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50HP Tohatsu TLDI
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Force 4 sell the steering saver nuts, but I can't remember what they call them.
I searched but no joy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
For grease I just run the bluish marine grease and have been for years. The marine grease you mention above should be just fine.

When it comes to grease guns, I prefer a gun that can be used single handed. The funky handle you show would require two hands. Sometimes you have to hold the zerk fitting on so single handed is nice to have. The flexible tube allows you to get into hard to reach areas. They do not seem to be as common in Europe as they are here in the USA.

In order of cost which probably relates to quality.
DRAPER PROFESSIONAL HEAVY DUTY PISTOL-TYPE GREASE GUN | eBay
Pro Air Grease Gun - Lever Or Pistol Grip - Extendable - Aluminium Head | eBay
Sealey Die Cast Pistol Type Grease Gun, 400g AK446 | eBay
Thanks good tip, will get a pistol grip type grease gun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Your welcome

If its a new rig I'd not change it yet, wait a season or two then fit the saver.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Okie Dokie!
__________________

__________________
J@mes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.