Old 22 October 2012, 19:14   #11

Length: 4m +
Engine: 50HP Tohatsu TLDI
Look what I found... Steersman Steering Guard

I may have to get one sooner rather than later as it seems easy to fit. It says just remove the Tilt-Tube Locking Nut (Not necessary if at least three threads already exposed) and replace with the steersman nut! Though looking at my picture in the original post, I have a big dark nut fitted next to the silver nut, so which one do I replace with the steersman nut? I assume the silver one?!

Old 22 October 2012, 19:25   #12

cheaper on ebay for $37.55 (£23.44) delivered... 7/8 Inch Steering Guard Lube Fitting for Boats - Extends Steering Cable Life | eBay

whereas it is $46 direct from the steersman site to the UK.

Though the ebay item is called a "Steering Guard Lube fitting" and not a "Steersman® Steering Guard" so it is probably a copy, but the picture is identical to the website I think!

Also it says on the Steersman website...

Q. I bought something like this before and the rubber wiper quickly popped out, making a big greasy mess.
A. Unlike some imitations on the market, the Steersman uses a replaceable O-ring that is held securely in a groove. While properly installed, it simply cannot come out, but can easily be replaced when worn if the Steersman is removed from the outboard. (see question above).
.. (They will send a free O-ring if you need one)

Whether this is true or just scare tactics I don't know!

I guess it must be better to have the ebay one fitted than the normal original nut!!!

Old 23 October 2012, 14:32   #13

Just an update as it may help others!...

I also found a company called Davis who make the "cable buddy" and also the "lube II" (same as the "steersman steering guard") on sale on here... http://eastmarine.us/index.php?p=cat...rent=1288&pg=1 for $28 and $21 respectively. Also the Steersman one is available at $28 on that website too.

"Lube II" like the "Steersman steering guard" fits AFTER the tilt tube (where the steering rod comes out) http://www.davisnet.com/product_docu...LubeII_eng.PDF It is designed to seal and lubricate the steering rod.

The "cable buddy" fits where the steering cable/rod enters the tilt tube... http://www.davisnet.com/product_docu...420-151_IM.pdf Once you fit the "cable buddy" nut you then have to drill a 3mm hole through the tilt tube via the hole in the nut, which seams easy enough I would have thought. This will then allow you to lubricate the steering cable!

Though surely if the "Lube II" or "Steersman Steering Guard" seals the steering rod at the exposed end, then they seal the tilt tube/steering cable also and thus no need for the "cable buddy"?! After all the Steersman company only sell the one product!

Though that said I like the "cable buddy" as I can imagine it really will help prevent failure of the steering cable and keep that brand new steering feeling, i.e. nice and smooth even after years of use!

Also I guess by using both together you could save an old steering cable, thus saving a lot of time/money/hassle in replacing it for a new one! Though I am not in that boat as mine is new, but if I can be bothered I am sure fitting both lubricating nuts at each end of the tilt tube will add years onto a new cables life!
Old 23 October 2012, 14:36   #14

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
i made my own version a few years ago using the nut of an old cable. use thinner grease so that it makes its way up the cable..
Old 23 October 2012, 19:50   #15

Tbh I would rather buy one than make my own cos I would c0ck it up! lol

Which end of the tilt tube did you fit yours? I assume the steering cable end, as opposed to the steering rod end?