Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 28 June 2007, 19:40   #21

Town: Swindon
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 250 Yam 15
Zodiac confirmed today that the CE plate on my boat is correct the max transom weight is 165kg

They also confirmed that dealers are obligued to abide by certain rules and obligations and that this was now a trading standards issue as they are not allowed to exceed these limits

Zodiac has also beefed up the max transom weight on later models to c190kg to target the 4 stroke market

I have also been in contact with (my friend who purchased from new) who has reconfirmed this was a package deal and that now it is is exactly how it was supplied when new.

It also does seem that i might not be insured as the CE plate weight has been exceeded; it would be down to the assessor for relevance at that time

I now know that even if the rib transom is repaired ok - i still cant keep the engine on the back - so will to do an exchange,etc

I have contacted the dealer and await their response....

M
Old 28 June 2007, 20:23   #22

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhb100 View Post
Zodiac confirmed today that the CE plate on my boat is correct the max transom weight is 165kg

They also confirmed that dealers are obligued to abide by certain rules and obligations and that this was now a trading standards issue as they are not allowed to exceed these limits

Zodiac has also beefed up the max transom weight on later models to c190kg to target the 4 stroke market

I have also been in contact with (my friend who purchased from new) who has reconfirmed this was a package deal and that now it is is exactly how it was supplied when new.

It also does seem that i might not be insured as the CE plate weight has been exceeded; it would be down to the assessor for relevance at that time

I now know that even if the rib transom is repaired ok - i still cant keep the engine on the back - so will to do an exchange,etc

I have contacted the dealer and await their response....

M

a word of advice, the honda will sell like hotcakes if it is in good condition, when i looked into selling mine on boats and outboards i had loads of people contact me on it, make sure if you trade it in you get a very very good price as they hold their values very well

good luck and get trading standards on your side and get them to agree it was not sold fit for purpose then threaten to take them to the small claims court and you shoudl be in good shape to construct a good deal

good luck
Old 28 June 2007, 20:50   #23

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Agree with the price of the engine. If its in good nick then it will fetch top dollar.

Somebody in the market for an outboard will struggle to buy one now as it is (Supposed to be) the summer season and good outboards are in short supply at this time of year.

I've seen both ends of the market at this time of year. Put it up for sale now.

NR.
Old 28 June 2007, 21:20   #24
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
good luck and get trading standards on your side and get them to agree it was not sold fit for purpose then threaten to take them to the small claims court and you shoudl be in good shape to
Buying second hand in a private sale it's caveat emptor. mhb100 has no contract with the original dealer, so any threat of court action would be pure bluster.

Zodiac or the dealer may decide to do something as a goodwill gesture, but as far as I am aware neither has any obligation to him.

Even if trading standards decided to take any action (which I suspect is very unlikely) then I can't see mhb100 getting anything out of it.

John
Old 28 June 2007, 21:24   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Buying second hand in a private sale it's caveat emptor. mhb100 has no contract with the original dealer, so any threat of court action would be pure bluster.

Zodiac or the dealer may decide to do something as a goodwill gesture, but as far as I am aware neither has any obligation to him.

Even if trading standards decided to take any action (which I suspect is very unlikely) then I can't see mhb100 getting anyting out of it.

John

its worth a go as he has nothing to lose!
Old 29 June 2007, 02:12   #26

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
its worth a go as he has nothing to lose!
Other than loosing any possibility of a "good will" response by threatening legal action...

I agree completely with John. As I mentioned above, you buy used, you take your chances.

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2007, 06:43   #27
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Other than loosing any possibility of a "good will" response by threatening legal action...

I agree completely with John. As I mentioned above, you buy used, you take your chances.

Yep buying private second hand normally means you save a few pounds compared to a dealer but you may have to spend the savings later on

Still no pics of the inside and out of the transom for a plate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	transom-plate-1.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	28098   Click image for larger version

Name:	transom-plate-2.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	28099  
Old 29 June 2007, 07:26   #28

Town: boston
Boat name: Miss bad 61
Make: Crapko, AKA Mako
Engine: OMC Mod50
get your $$ back from your friend, the part about you and the dealer you did not buy the boat from, thats a Joke right? cuzz you can't even make that stuff up.
the dealer has no responsibility to you what so ever, none. it's YOUR responsibility. some friend.
Old 29 June 2007, 08:30   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post

personally i would always follow up the good will to see where that goes as an amicable solution is always best, while putting together a stronger response to keep in the back pocket for the right time if needed.

the dealer put together a non insurable possibly dangerous boat and should be held accountable. and that does not do anyone in the boating industry any good so personally i would be chasing this firm to get a suitable result.

teaming up with the original buyer who is a "friend" would make a stronger case no doubt as you purchased it second hand from this person. worth a shot i would say

also you have a good engine on the back that should sell easily for reasonably money so that is a bonus, hopefully the honda will pay for a suitable replacement of late vintage