Old 30 December 2010, 12:51   #21

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by alystra View Post
PeterM, do you feel that your late night calls are unanswered because the CG can't be bothered to reply? Could it be that there is poor VHF coverage with low aerial height at your destinations? I ask because it seems astonishing to me that your calls are not acknowledged.

In my, admittedly limited, experience of CG Ops Rooms, I can't ever remember a call on ch 16 not being acknowledged at any time - even when casualty working. At such times the reply may have been, 'Casualty working, for routine traffic please call back later', or perhaps 'Seelonce Mayday' if appropriate. But the call would always be acknowledged.

Of course, we had nowhere near as much radio traffic as the stations on the south coast, perhaps they just get overwhelmed at times by the sheer volume of routine traffic.

Like you I rarely file a TR unless I'm going well offshore without an accompanying boat.
No Idea why not , on trying Portland CG at midnight + from the area as I leave the harbour that they hear me fine on departing I rarely get a response on either 16 or 73. Usually when I have fianlly got them on 16 ( after 20 minutes)they ask me to go to 73 then nothing ! So back to 16 I go , they get arsey then I just tell them I'm back OUT....

I'm not sure the south coast has areas of low coverage due to the sheer number size of stations on the coast.

Like you I have on the very odd occasion turned the radio on mid 'seelonce mayday' and like you in daytime been acknowledged somehow even if if its 'direct' which is fine.

Huge amounts of radio abuse in and around the solent anyway... Sometimes I just turn it off if cruising.
Old 30 December 2010, 14:44   #22

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Am I the only one who's not upset with the CG's comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudders999 View Post
5 POB on RIB
Helm + 1 stayed in the boat
3 ended up in the water
2 automatic lifejackets failed to inflate
1 manual also not infllate

Not a good performance from the boat owner, did the lLJs fail to inflate through operator error or equipment malfunction

Quote:
Please regularly check your lifejacket.
Practise man overboard drills in all weathers you take your boat out in.
Wear appropriate clothing
Ensure everyone is briefed on use of radio, flares etc

Be safe and have a happy new year.
Best part of the whole thread.

Somebody took people out on a boat and dumped three people in the water, the safety gear didn't operate and the most useful comms equipment (flip a cover and press a red switch) wasn't operated.

Call me old fashioned, but when I don't see why the CG comments should be considered as anything more than accurate.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2010, 15:56   #23

Town: Lymington
Boat name: rib-it
Make: Scopion
Engine: Suzuki 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
Not a good performance from the boat owner, did the lLJs fail to inflate through operator error or equipment malfunction

Best part of the whole thread.

Somebody took people out on a boat and dumped three people in the water, the safety gear didn't operate and the most useful comms equipment (flip a cover and press a red switch) wasn't operated.

Call me old fashioned, but when I don't see why the CG comments should be considered as anything more than accurate.
I did hear this first hand on the VHF and the CG had problems getting a gps fix out of the boat even though it had a gps fitted so taking up valuble time getting a rough beering to blockhouse and a rough distance.

Had the helm been able to give a gps fix the rescue would have been quicker hence "all the gear and no idea"

www.rib-it.com
simonnud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2010, 08:50   #24

Town: Oakham
Boat name: Blue Wave
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 115
This might be a silly question but Would Alan Waters, Duty Watch Manager at Solent Coastguard, whose quotes in the press release seem to subject of the debate, be a full time employee of the MCA or a volunteer. Also who writes these press releases and puts them up on the MCA site.
Old 31 December 2010, 09:28   #25

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Practise man overboard drills in all weathers you take your boat out in.
Not everyone has an MOB dummy they can use or are you suggesting putting a person in the water?
Old 31 December 2010, 13:32   #26

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Codders would have been proud of this one.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-12096108

Sometimes a few words of encouragement in the right direction are better than some stick !

Happy New Year All & safe Ribbin' Bern
Old 31 December 2010, 13:47   #27

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Not everyone has an MOB dummy they can use or are you suggesting putting a person in the water?
Ehh up lad thou should go t'lLifeboat college and take an improvising course

You can do it with a fender and a bit of rope. Admittedly it doesn't simulate weight but it does halp to get a working methodoly in place and therefore reduce Panic and the need to explain evreything in an actuale MOB recovery situation.

So I guess its a case of no gear and all of the idea
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2010, 15:06   #28

Town: Gosport
Boat name: N/A
Make: N/A
Length: no boat
Engine: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Even the yachties can manage a fender as a substitute, surely as a RIB'er you can too !!
Old 31 December 2010, 15:42   #29

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeallenuk View Post
Even the yachties can manage a fender as a substitute, surely as a RIB'er you can too !!
Don't have any fenders on mine.
Point taken though.
Old 19 January 2011, 00:23   #30

I know of the three people who was throwen out of the rib and know of the person who was driving the rib at the time and this is not the first time he has been taking people out on trips and put the safty of people at risk by his actions.

Just to clear up a few of the points in your posts.

He told them they had automatic lifejackets and did not need to have the manual release out of the jackets. So when only 1 inflated in the water the other two left with no way to inflate them.

The secound flare was let of by one of the kids who managed to swim back to the boat when it got closer after being some 2 miles away before know they had lost the people over board, The two adults still on the boat had set the first flare off in to the water not reading the instructions.