Old 12 June 2011, 13:09   #1

Town: Truro
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50
Hope cove slip?

Hello

I visited Hope Cove on Friday what a great place to launch. Had a great time untill F5 weather came in - took 10 mins to get to Salcombe but over on hour to get back! Little Avon didnt miss a beat though.

Does anybody know which slip you can use? It was slightly confusing down there as the slip where the harbour master charges for launching states no cars on beach!?!? How are you supposed to get your boat to the water? He was not there so went ahead anyway. Saw another Landy on the beach and he didnt seem to worry about the signs.

I spotted a nice concreate slip across the bay which I think was an old rnli slip? Can we use that?

Also the pay car park didnt say anything about extra pay for trailers with a car - anyone know if they are extra?

Cool - thanks
Old 12 June 2011, 18:24   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
the slip across the beach is used by the independent lifeboat.
its the only one I have used as I dont trust the soft spots in the beach sand.
More of a hassle on a summers day asking peeps to get off the slip as its used by people eating ice cream, little kids etc who think you can manouvre a trailer across a road and between a stone wall opening, then backwards in between them with pin point accuracy!
Parking in the summer is a ball ache when its busy. I drove half way back up the hill and abandoned the trailer on the verge !
Old 13 June 2011, 06:23   #3

Thanks M/R. Did you have any other issues using it IE irrate locals telling you youre not allowed to use it etc? Some other web sites seem to suggest its not for public usage?

Cheers
Old 13 June 2011, 08:44   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
We rented a house at Hope Cove a few years ago and took the RIB with us. We decided to base the boat in Salcombe in the end.

To be fair we didn't have great weather which helped make the decision, but even if it had been set fair I think that Salcome's a better option. Provided the WAFIs don't get you
Old 13 June 2011, 10:15   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
no...no issues with locals ...I think they hide in the summer !
No one told me I couldnt use the slip, I did inform the harbour master where I was when buying the permit.
Like John said , I found the bottom of that slip a little choppy when there was an onshore,
its not as sheltered as you may think despite being in the cove, so the SR4 filled with some water when recovering and it was a bit lively when trying to recover by myself. I am sure its fine on a calm day, but Salcombe is much easier.
Old 13 June 2011, 10:26   #6

Thats great news. I will try Salcombe tomorrow. Maybe see you down there one day?

Cheers