Old 19 August 2017, 23:48   #1

Town: Cork
Boat name: N/A
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 80hp autolube
Honest opinions sought please!

Hi folks - earlier this summer, needing a bigger RIB and having access to a sheltered local mooring, I went to look at this 7.3m Humber. The seller, a really nice Polish guy, had done quite a lot to the boat - rejuvenated the hull and tubes (incl. flexi paint [emoji849]) and fitted new controls and made a new console himself (these boys can be very handy indeed [emoji1417]), new seats and a new auto bilge pump - he had also fully restored the trailer with new wheels, hubs, rollers and winch etc.

We sort of agreed a preliminary deal to buy it for €6k subject to my 5.5m Humber Attaque being sold first (I pretty much had it sold)

Now... I made a few calls around the RIB/Boating community locally here and spoke to a few guys, one is a well known and honest engine guy in Cork - he had viewed it previously for another client of his, he told me to "stay well clear of it" but wouldn't elaborate much more.... anyway, there was a generally negative air of opinion about the boat and the seller (one guy even going so far as to say the boat was for sale on a Scottish website with different seller details also - I looked but could never find this add) so I regretfully pulled in my horns and took my own boat off the market. I s'pose having agreed a deal at €5k for my own (old but good) boat, engine and trailer...... I was worried that this package was, well, uncomfortably cheap at only a grand more.....

Anyway, the guy is back from his annual holiday to Poland and he has re-listed his add and I am feeling regretful that I took everyone's advice and didn't buy it, especially as none of the advice was coupled with anything specific or concrete if I'm honest....

Do you guys know anything about the boat (particularly the Scots)? Are the repairs potentially hiding horrors? Why the newly constructed console? (or is it just a Polish lad looking after his property well, as they tend to do?) is the engine badly underpowered for such a big craft? And most importantly.... if it's bought for €6k (it's listed at €6800) for boat, Eng & trailer - is it worryingly cheap?

I had no worries about the boat itself whatsoever on the day I viewed it, everything was in order and as it should be generally. Except when I asked him to give it some revs for me in the barrel, he went to engage it into gear instead of just lifting the rev lever while in neutral - maybe a nervous sellers silly mistake but not something you'd expect a guy to do after 4 years of claimed usage. [emoji52]

Should I stick with my gut and leave it be or grab a bargain that is a LOT of boat for €6k? Obviously I'm aware that is my and only my decision but I wold appreciate any opinion, specific knowledge or advice. Thank you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7029.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	121481Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7025.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	121482Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7026.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	121483Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7027.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	121484
Old 20 August 2017, 06:50   #2

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
dont know about the use of flexi paint on the tubes but as a spray painter by trade the hull looks to have a very dry finish and by the pic I would say that's been badly painted.id also be checking the transom as that's a large metal plate attached that wouldn't probably be there from new. quite a small outboard for a large rib too. sellers always want as much as they can get or if honest think its worth (and it is cheap ).but most importantly the voice inside your head has already told you what to do now your looking for excuses to do the opposit
Old 20 August 2017, 07:51   #3

Town: Swindon
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 250 Yam 15
Go with your gut and leave alone. But if you won't to get more info first then see what photo/videos he has of original state of boat and do a sea trial no matter what (pay for fuel) Personally I'd not touch it.
Old 20 August 2017, 09:07   #4

That is very underpowered yes.

Stainless plate on transom.....with a small engine.....potential transom is shot

Painting tubes is probably because they are shot under the paint, but as long as they hold air then should be okay for a good while.

The hull is badly painted so could be hiding a lot of things, ideally they should have polished the gel coat but spraying it was probably easier...impossible to say without knowing what is under the paint.

I don't consider that cheap and I wouldn't be bothering with it.
Old 20 August 2017, 09:11   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
It's really hard to say much about a boat like this unless you can put a hand on it. If Kevin (?) warned you off, I'd say take that advice!

My thoughts from a distance are:
  1. The engine is an old munter and wouldn't pull the skin off a custard,
  2. The tubes are old AND concealed. A retube would cost more than the boat.
  3. WTF is that plate/bracket under the engine mounts? If it's a support/repair then the tansom is goosed.
  4. The ad in Scotland might have been cloned by scammers - it happens.
  5. If the boat was piggin' with manky tubes, a bashed hull and a console like Swiss cheese - would you buy it? I think the seller is a Turd Polisher
Old 20 August 2017, 09:17   #6

Make: Zodiac Pro Open
Engine: Yamaha F100D
I wouldn't call that cheap.

It's an old boat that seems to have had a coat of paint to hide the worst and possibly bodged repairs.

Looks like a money pit to me.
Old 20 August 2017, 10:03   #7

Right so.... that's that then! [emoji3]

Thanks for taking the time to reply. You all make a lot of sense.

"There's plenty more RIB's in the sea" without stories.... [emoji1417]
Old 20 August 2017, 10:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
If Kevin (?) warned you off,

Maurice Cott
Old 20 August 2017, 10:37   #9

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I think the seller is a Turd Polisher
Tut tut. I'm not sure if describing our Eastern European cousins in this way is acceptable in this day and age.
Old 20 August 2017, 11:09   #10
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Tut tut. I'm not sure if describing our Eastern European cousins in this way is acceptable in this day and age.
Now now Mollers, I know your Written Comprehension is better than that - you even understand (most) of Maxi's posts.

For the record, I hold Polish craftsmanship in high regard - after all, they built my hull. To paraphrase the Americans - "Our Polish Laminators and better than their Polish Laminators"

Old 20 August 2017, 13:15   #11

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
Hi folks - earlier this summer, needing a bigger RIB and having access to a sheltered local mooring, I went to look at this 7.3m Humber. The seller, a really nice Polish guy, had done quite a lot to the boat - rejuvenated the hull and tubes (incl. flexi paint [emoji849]) and fitted new controls and made a new console himself (these boys can be very handy indeed [emoji1417]), new seats and a new auto bilge pump - he had also fully restored the trailer with new wheels, hubs, rollers and winch etc.

We sort of agreed a preliminary deal to buy it for €6k subject to my 5.5m Humber Attaque being sold first (I pretty much had it sold)

Now... I made a few calls around the RIB/Boating community locally here and spoke to a few guys, one is a well known and honest engine guy in Cork - he had viewed it previously for another client of his, he told me to "stay well clear of it" but wouldn't elaborate much more.... anyway, there was a generally negative air of opinion about the boat and the seller (one guy even going so far as to say the boat was for sale on a Scottish website with different seller details also - I looked but could never find this add) so I regretfully pulled in my horns and took my own boat off the market. I s'pose having agreed a deal at €5k for my own (old but good) boat, engine and trailer...... I was worried that this package was, well, uncomfortably cheap at only a grand more.....

Anyway, the guy is back from his annual holiday to Poland and he has re-listed his add and I am feeling regretful that I took everyone's advice and didn't buy it, especially as none of the advice was coupled with anything specific or concrete if I'm honest....

Do you guys know anything about the boat (particularly the Scots)? Are the repairs potentially hiding horrors? Why the newly constructed console? (or is it just a Polish lad looking after his property well, as they tend to do?) is the engine badly underpowered for such a big craft? And most importantly.... if it's bought for €6k (it's listed at €6800) for boat, Eng & trailer - is it worryingly cheap?

I had no worries about the boat itself whatsoever on the day I viewed it, everything was in order and as it should be generally. Except when I asked him to give it some revs for me in the barrel, he went to engage it into gear instead of just lifting the rev lever while in neutral - maybe a nervous sellers silly mistake but not something you'd expect a guy to do after 4 years of claimed usage. [emoji52]

Should I stick with my gut and leave it be or grab a bargain that is a LOT of boat for €6k? Obviously I'm aware that is my and only my decision but I wold appreciate any opinion, specific knowledge or advice. Thank you.

Attachment 121481Attachment 121482Attachment 121483Attachment 121484
I reckon you've got the Jist of it
See that ol "Gut feeling" is seldome wrong!
THATS what Forums ARE good for...and Ribnet members are experts at,and enjoy steering people in the right direction

Mind you...Not half as much as pointing it out... AFTER you've bought it!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 22:54   #12

Honest opinions sought please!

Yes, Maximus the thought process is much clearer now having read these generous replies. To be honest, I sort of knew all the answers myself anyway but after a few early pints of beautiful Black Guinness I was doubting my decision to have moved on from this big Humber last evening when I posted this. It's been most helpful. [emoji1417]

I s'pose to get the advice from the experts here as to whether to buy a boat or not.... you'd have to ask them before and not après purchase..... as we say in this part of the world... "... little point in closing the stable door after the horse has bolted out of it and is galloping across the paddock...." [emoji41]