Old 15 September 2002, 13:20   #11
Town: Highlands
Boat name: Quicksilver
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15hp

Hello folks. I thought I would put in a quick (some hope) word here, as I feel a little responsible for all this. You may recall that Ribnet's biggest ever thread with 6841 views (massive) SoC Send Off was actualy started by me. So here goes.

It was a fantastic weekend. Just take a look at the spin off threads afterwards. It was the first time I'd ever met up with real Ribbers. Everyone was great to me, Bill and little Quicksilver. Or should that be me little Bill and Quicksilver?

Anyway we all had a great time. I enjoyed everyone's company. Due to a rather bad headache, caused by that smack on the head in PoB (I still have the scar), I left the do in the evening early. I did go over to Alan and Crew, shake hands and wish them well though.

On the Saturday afternoon after the service I went over to speak to AP. And you know what. He recognised me from Ribnet. That made me feel good. He took the time to chat and pose for photos. During the run up to SoC AP had taken the time to correspond directly with me about his Atlantic crossing. That was kind.

I can hardly imagine just how much was on his mind that day, but he took time out to chat to me and Bill (now I can tell you chatting to Bill takes courage).

Yes, I would have liked it if SoC came over to us at the marina but they must have been very busy, so I forgive them.

We must all remember that it is not over yet. It is not all over until SoC is SAFELY back in Cardiff. That is the time for AP and crew to dish out their thanks, at the moment it is a bit premature. They still have a dangerous voyage to go.

I have met all the people in this thread and I liked them all. They are all good and kind people, well that is how I found them. (Some of the people at the CBYC were a bit snotty though - but that's another thread!).

If any has let any one down it is the city fathers of Cardiff. They did not make much effort as far as I can tell. The send off was down to Ribnet and Nadia. So cheers to Nadia and cheers to Ribnet. Best of luck to AP and the crew of SoC.

If we feel angry do not direct that anger inwards amongst ourselves. Lets direct that anger outwards at those who did not come up with the goods to support SoC and at those who let them down badly whilst on route.

Keith (it ain't over 'till the fat sibster sings) Hart

Small boat - BIG truck
Keith Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2002, 14:58   #12
Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
Heroes or Villains

There are very few people in this world who have the drive to attempt the voyage that fell before Spirit. Sometimes the drive can lead to obsession but without it the voyage will not start let alone finish.

The UK has a history of explorers and if you research you may find that many are considered arrogent rude uncaring - but of course that has often made the press as a way of showing (some of ) the qualities without which a person could not start continue or envisage the completion of their particular mission.

I am more than happy to say that I have the utmost respect for the bravery and commitment of the crew but did not make a contribution; had SOC needed a grand to make it home with no other takers then I would have coughed.

Confused ? Its all set out in the posts above.

Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2002, 07:06   #13
Town: Sevenoaks
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Mariner
Send a message via AIM to Andy.R
Hi folks,
Just to add a quick reply and stick my 2p worth in, on the Saturday of the departure weekend, Nadia and Clive did come round to the sailing club to see us. I know a few boats had gone to meet the POB and I was still on the slip with engine problems, but Cherie and myself had a long chat with Clive. Can't remember who else was there still.
I guess it was just bad timeing in an immensly busy weekend that more of were not about to see Clive.
But anyway, good luck guys and hope to see you all soon, and this time with the boat!!
Andy.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2002, 07:40   #14
Town: Worcester
Boat name: Cheap 'N' Cheerful
Make: Avon C
Length: 3.5 metres
Engine: Mariner 8HP O/B 2 stroke.
Little man with big mouth would like to say:-
'Thank You Nadia for your "Hurculean" efforts with regard to SOC coverage. Thank You Alan for giving us something interesting and adventurous to follow with the round the world trip. I would just like to finish by saying that those of us with terminally ill children have better things to do than to criticise the great crew and supporters of the SOC.........................

dbillyboy is offline   Reply With Quote