Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 30 December 2005, 13:30   #11
Member
 
Country: Other
Length: no boat
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 623
I think you'd better wait till you get your 35K + investment out there in inclement unfriendly docking conditions with blue chip clients on-board that have fairly high expectations before you cast judgement on a 32 "bit of foam".

Reading about it and theorising is one thing - putting your hand in your pocket and having to pay out 3,000 for new tubes is quite different.


Plastimo, you see, invested quite a lot of money in a high tech piece of "foam" (as you fondly call it) which not only has amazing shock absorber qualities immediately returning to it's original shape, but is non hydroscopic as well which basically means it won't absorb water and hang there like your rained on pants.

32? A bargain!
__________________

__________________
hard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2005, 13:46   #12
Member
 
Country: USA
Boat name: Thalassa
Make: RIBCRAFT
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 115 4 stroke
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 369
the flat ones seem like a great idea.
__________________

__________________
Chopppywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2005, 14:31   #13
Bou
Member
 
Country: Netherlands
Town: Zaanstad
Boat name: Overpowerd
Make: Marshall 470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 90hp ELPTO
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard1
I think you'd better wait till you get your 35K + investment out there in inclement unfriendly docking conditions with blue chip clients on-board that have fairly high expectations before you cast judgement on a 32 "bit of foam".

Reading about it and theorising is one thing - putting your hand in your pocket and having to pay out 3,000 for new tubes is quite different.


Plastimo, you see, invested quite a lot of money in a high tech piece of "foam" (as you fondly call it) which not only has amazing shock absorber qualities immediately returning to it's original shape, but is non hydroscopic as well which basically means it won't absorb water and hang there like your rained on pants.

32? A bargain!
Nice to see and hear what you are using to protect your RIB.
I think you all mean fenders like the picture below...?
The small one coasts 15.75 and the big one 33.00
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Platte Fenders.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	16709  
__________________
Bou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2005, 15:19   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard1

Plastimo, you see, invested quite a lot of money in a high tech piece of "foam" (as you fondly call it) which not only has amazing shock absorber qualities immediately returning to it's original shape, but is non hydroscopic as well which basically means it won't absorb water and hang there like your rained on pants.

32? A bargain!
Closed cell means exactly that - won't absorb water. It is also pretty common to find foam that has "amazing shock absorber qualities"!!!

With rubber tubes you don't even need shock absorption - all you need is abrasion resistance.

"Plastimo invested quite a bit of money" - mmm of course they did!!!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2005, 15:43   #15
Member
 
Country: Other
Length: no boat
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 623
Like I said, it would be best to get some practical experience under your belt first before rubbishing paid members choice of equipment.
__________________
hard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2005, 15:58   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard1
Like I said, it would be best to get some practical experience under your belt first before rubbishing paid members choice of equipment.
I am NOT rubbishing people's choice - I just find it distressing that people are conned into parting with 120 for a set of fenders that should only cost them 10!!!

I know it's down to people's choice but if I can help people save a few quid and avoid being ripped off then what's the problem???

Let's face it - some of the best fenders in the world are actually FREE - and they DID cost millions to develop = Just ask Michelin - Firestone - Avon - Goodyear etc!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2005, 16:07   #17
CJL
Member
 
CJL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,115
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
I just use 3 fenders. Two small cylindrical ones and a large spherical one for the bow. Holds it nicely alongside.

On the other side I have a small sign that says "No Mooring. Berthholder Returning." This I have discovered works wonders stopping el nobber from tying up his 60ft Gin Palace to my rubber tube cleats!
__________________
www.northernexposurerescue.org.uk
A registered charity supporting events across England and Wales
Follow us on Vimeo and Facebook
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2005, 16:43   #18
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
You cheeky devil Chris! If I saw that sign I'd hang it on my outside tube and tie alongside using bicycle locks!! Then I'd hunt you down and it's drinks on you all afternoon untill you get me legless enough to pinch mi padlock keys .
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2005, 17:19   #19
Member
 
Richard B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL
I just use 3 fenders.
I use 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL
On the other side I have a small sign that says "No Mooring. Berthholder Returning." This I have discovered works wonders stopping el nobber from tying up his 60ft Gin Palace to my rubber tube cleats!
I like that...a lot!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2005, 18:30   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard1
..before rubbishing paid members choice of equipment.
That has to be a qualifier for the "head in arse" award of 2006..
__________________

__________________
tony
tcwozere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.