Old 05 February 2018, 12:55   #1

Town: Torquay
Boat name: Yonderland
Make: Highfield
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF100
MMSI: 232009539
Highfield OM590 fuel tank info

Hello. I'm having a Simrad/Navico fuel level sensor fitted to link to the NMEA2000 network that's connected to a GO7 chartplotter and IS35 digital engine gauge . This may need to be calibrated after the install. The manual for the sensor states "The factory calibration settings for the Fluid Level sensor should be adequate for most applications, but if your tank has an irregular shape, your tank float uses a different resistance range other than the U.S. standard of 240-33 Ohms, or if greater accuracy is needed, calibration is recommended."
Does anyone know if the Highfield fuel tank will work with the standard factory calibration settings or will need to be re-calibrated? If the latter, it would interesting to know the reasons why. Finally, I believe the fuel tank capacity is 120 litres but it would be great if someone could confirm that too.
Many thanks - like lots of people on this forum I can't wait to put all the planning that's been done over the winter into action and get back out on the water!
Old 05 February 2018, 13:58   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Personally I find fuel tank sensors a waste of time on a RIB unless sat still on flat water or on the trailer. The motion of the boat will cause the levels to bounce around from 0-100%, if you have low fuel alarms set, they will constantly be going off. Better (imo) to use the engine as the remaining fuel source, assuming the engine is N2k & connected to the network.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2018, 14:15   #3

Thank you Pikey Dave. Yes I agree they aren't ideal and for me the fuel gauge is the last resort and not to be trusted anyway! The engine is linked on the N2k and fuel flow provides a more accurate method calculating fuel usage/remaining. However, I want to have a fuel tank reading (in addition) and just want to find out more about the specifics of the Highfield tank.
Old 05 February 2018, 19:22   #4

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Hi Jonny ,i have just checked highfield manual and om590 has 140 litre fuel tank , i dont know what sender output is present but what i can say is mine has standard honda fuel gauge as i had replacement under warranty as my gauges fogged up ,i have never fitted these gauges so i will check honda part number later when i remember were i have put them ,
Old 06 February 2018, 08:21   #5

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Honda part number is 37304-ZW5-000ZA ,cant see anything in fitting instructions ref the input parameters ,i reckon highfields probhably fitted with honda sender units ,as you too have poss found out highfields seem to be only fitted with top quality bits since honda partnership .
Old 06 February 2018, 09:31   #6

Many thanks Orwell Boy. That's really useful info and as you correctly say the relationship between Highfield and Honda has really been to everyones advantage. Honda's warranty has worked for me as it sounds it has worked for you - needed a trim rod replaced and there wasn't a problem.
Old 28 March 2018, 07:26   #7

Town: Alcester
Boat name: Shy Talk
Make: Highfield OM460t
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyR View Post
Hello. I'm having a Simrad/Navico fuel level sensor fitted to link to the NMEA2000 network that's connected to a GO7 chartplotter and IS35 digital engine gauge . This may need to be calibrated after the install. The manual for the sensor states "The factory calibration settings for the Fluid Level sensor should be adequate for most applications, but if your tank has an irregular shape, your tank float uses a different resistance range other than the U.S. standard of 240-33 Ohms, or if greater accuracy is needed, calibration is recommended."
Does anyone know if the Highfield fuel tank will work with the standard factory calibration settings or will need to be re-calibrated? If the latter, it would interesting to know the reasons why. Finally, I believe the fuel tank capacity is 120 litres but it would be great if someone could confirm that too.
Many thanks - like lots of people on this forum I can't wait to put all the planning that's been done over the winter into action and get back out on the water!
Can you ring Highfield and ask them, they made the boat , they will know the size of the tank and which electrical parts are fitted surely..