Old 08 November 2017, 12:35   #1

Town: Glasgow
Length: no boat
Highfield Classic 380

Hello

I currently have a Bombard Aerotec 380 which i think is great and handles the waves well with my trusty 15hp 2 stroke.

I am interested in buying a Highfield Classic 380 but not sure what the benefits would be apart from removing the hassle factor from blowing up each time i use it.

I have trawled the internet and am struggling to find anyone with recent reviews.

I like the idea of this small rib but would like to know more about them and find out if it would be a worth while move to get one in the new season.

Thanks

Simon
Old 08 November 2017, 14:08   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
If the only issue with the Aerotec is assembly would the cheapest thing be to buy a trailer for it?

I think someone on here bought a Highfield around that size within the last couple of years.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/highfield-380-cl-71857.html
Old 08 November 2017, 14:22   #3

Hi Fenlander

If I buy a trailer I’m as well upgrading to a rigid. Just wanting to see if anyone on here has the classic 380 and how it performs
Old 08 November 2017, 16:37   #4

I must admit I've admired them from afar as I said on that thread I linked. I guess one thing you will gain is outright speed if that matters to you.
Old 08 November 2017, 17:05   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
For the kind of money they are why not look at an Frib it folds up and its rigid guys that have them swear by them
Old 08 November 2017, 17:34   #6

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmcgil View Post
Hello

I currently have a Bombard Aerotec 380 which i think is great and handles the waves well with my trusty 15hp 2 stroke.

I am interested in buying a Highfield Classic 380 but not sure what the benefits would be apart from removing the hassle factor from blowing up each time i use it.

I have trawled the internet and am struggling to find anyone with recent reviews.

I like the idea of this small rib but would like to know more about them and find out if it would be a worth while move to get one in the new season.

Thanks

Simon
clyde outboards are the dealer for f-rib up here buy that and an electric pump and that would be a cracking setup
Old 08 November 2017, 19:53   #7

>>>I currently have a Bombard Aerotec 380 which i think is great and handles the waves well with my trusty 15hp 2 stroke.... I am interested in buying a Highfield Classic 380 but not sure what the benefits would be apart from removing the hassle factor from blowing up each time i use it.

I think Simon really needs to know the shortfall *for his use" of the cracking outfit he has already compared to a hard hull.... unless it's just change for charge's sake when the various attributes are perhaps not so important.
Old 08 November 2017, 20:21   #8

RIBase
Ive never been in any of the three mentioned but I have been on a two day trip with an areotec very impressed with its capability the only downside for me at my age is the v floor other than that personally I wouldn't change the blow and go value is very hard to beat if you want a capable portable sib.
Old 08 November 2017, 21:04   #9

Hi all, and thanks for the responses.

I do like my Bombard and the fact that both the engine and boat or only 5 years old with pretty much 10 weeks of use, I am just keen to find out what if any the benefits are of the Highfield Classic over the Bombard.

I like the idea of a hard floor , the deeper V (unless I'm mistaken), and the fact it can be pulled up a beach so a lot more hardy than the bombard is. For an extra couple of grand change over is the boat going to handle handle the west coast chop any better than that of the bombard.

I would like to try one on the water and see reviews but just can't find any.

I know of the Frib but they don't handle anything like the Bombard due to its hull design, and my car boot is too small an opening so would be better towing or keeping with the Bombard.
Old 08 November 2017, 21:13   #10

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
I think Clyde marina stopped selling them it is now kip marina who sell them
Old 08 November 2017, 21:25   #11

RIBase
It really boils down to blowing it up which takes what 10 mins I would say changing to the highfield won't make it more desirable to go out and dragging it up the beach taking the paint coat off a no no for me, ride wise I don't think you will be that impressed as its a very shallow v all boats slam wave height and distance are never the same driving the boat to suit conditions is the only time you are in control.OMO of course .
Old 09 November 2017, 08:34   #12

>>>like the idea of a hard floor , the deeper V (unless I'm mistaken), and the fact it can be pulled up a beach so a lot more hardy than the bombard is. For an extra couple of grand change over is the boat going to handle handle the west coast chop any better than that of the bombard.

Agree a flatter solid internal floor than the Aerotec would appeal re carry stuff and dog etc... but as Jeff says I think the Highfield outer V is not as pronounced as the Aerotec particularly at the stern so it may slap more in a heavy chop.

Re beaching just how rough do you want to be with it? I do not abuse our Aerotec but pull it out of the water onto beaches all the time just easing the weight a little by lifting the bow handle as I pull. The other thing is I now carry two inflatable rollers as advised by Gurnard should I get in a position where I need to move it a fair way up a beach.
Old 09 November 2017, 09:36   #13

Simon have a look at post #9 on this thread from a few years back I found on another forum (while having a look round during coffee break). It's about the CL310 but gives an overview of the type...

Highfield Dinks? Info/Opinions Wanted! - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 09 November 2017, 09:42   #14

RIBase
http://www.highfieldboats.com/wp-con...anual_2014.pdf

the owners manual shows a shallow v and looking at it it's very similar to my boats hull shape personally i think the ride would be worse than your current boat but you would get a flat floor
Old 09 November 2017, 10:23   #15

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Simon have a look at post #9 on this thread from a few years back I found on another forum (while having a look round during coffee break). It's about the CL310 but gives an overview of the type...

Highfield Dinks? Info/Opinions Wanted! - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
he mentions air in the tubes wonder if they filled it with nitrogen?
Old 10 November 2017, 07:10   #16

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Personally I think you will find changing from a sib to a rib is night and day the rib will handle better feel more rigid and be easier to move around in.
Both have their pros and cons but out on the water the rib wins every time
Old 10 November 2017, 08:43   #17

>>> I think you will find changing from a sib to a rib is night and day

That would certainly be the case if he goes up to a SR4 or similar larger. But time and again on here folks report the very small light RIBs with flattish hull profiles at the transom little better in a chop than a SIB. If that is his main upgrade need it may not be £2k well spent.

And in truth if I were to go to the bother of using a trailer for a boat more capable in a West coast chop I think... despite my liking of the Highfield for some uses... I'd go at least to a SR4.