Old 06 May 2013, 07:47   #1
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
High tech kill cords - the next generation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
I can't hep thinking footstraps would have helped the Coxswain stay in the boat. I understand that they can break your ankles but i'd rather that to having my chest opened d by a prop.
nice day, family boating, sounds like overlooked the kill cord, whats the chances their feet would be in footstraps? Would a sprung throttle that returns to neutral/tickover if nobody keeps it open not be a more 'fail safe' approach?

Quote:
how do they enforce it in SA and Spain where I believe this sort od Regs are in place?
because they don't have any accidents there do they?
Old 06 May 2013, 07:54   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Would a sprung throttle that returns to neutral/tickover if nobody keeps it open not be a more 'fail safe' approach?
I sprung throttle would be vertually unusable in a bit of sea and, try out swimming an ingear boat at tickover.

The killcord doesn't require reinventing, it just needs to work and be worn.

Old 06 May 2013, 08:34   #3

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
how do they enforce it in SA and Spain where I believe this sort od Regs are in place?
marine police and Coastguards with GUNS and lots of ATTITUDE!!! met coastguards out at sea all over the world and they aint all friendly and helpful like they are here! Nor are they volunteers as the UK coast teams are.
Old 06 May 2013, 08:50   #4
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
sprung throttle would be vertually unusable in a bit of sea and,
do you think so? my understanding was this was the approach the RNLI used (as they don't use kill cords) and every bit of 'serious sea' I've been in meant the throttle was constantly being worked anyway.
Quote:
The killcord doesn't require reinventing, it just needs to work and be worn.
mmm... any safety device that requires proactive use by human beings is fundamentally flawed. Most kill cords rely on actively killing the engine so the electrics don't fail safe (see RW's comments on boats he's driven where they don't work). Rely on the operator putting it on (see PD's comments about people who believe in them slipping up). Can fail (see various previous refs to crap red plastic, slipping off wrists etc).
Old 06 May 2013, 09:33   #5

Quote:
do you think so? my understanding was this was the approach the RNLI used (as they don't use kill cords) and every bit of 'serious sea' I've been in meant the throttle was constantly being worked anyway.
mmm...
For sure.
Old 06 May 2013, 13:42   #6

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
yes the RNLI do have footstraps (on at least some of their Atlantics). They also have the throttle's in an "odd" place almost behind the helm.
Yes the present RNLI Atlantic 85 is fitted with foot straps - both to give support in the rough stuff and also to help keep the crew within the foot print of the boat in the event of an inversion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Helm console.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	79625

In relation to the trottle position - to helm is to understand - it is a very comfortable "neutral" position which reduces involuntary movement - the trottles are not spring loaded.

In relation to the old chesnut the RYA only receive 8.50 for every successful Powerboat Level 2 candidate - for this they supply the RTC with a photo I.D. certificate and a Start Powerboating Book.

My sincere condolences and sympathy goes out to the family involved and the people who were on scene.
Old 06 May 2013, 15:08   #7
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
In relation to the trottle position - to helm is to understand - it is a very comfortable "neutral" position which reduces involuntary movement -
if you were speccing a pleasure boat for rough water use - would you consider this 'non standard' position?

Quote:
the trottles are not spring loaded.
You had me thinking I had completely made that up - but I am sure I read it here, as well as it being in this:
The Code of Practice for Open Rescue Boats of Less than 15 Metres in Length Consultation

Quote:
7.2.2 If engine stop cords are NOT provided with the engine:

Throttles must be sprung loaded to return to idle
Old 06 May 2013, 17:07   #8

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
if you were speccing a pleasure boat for rough water use - would you consider this 'non standard' position?

You had me thinking I had completely made that up - but I am sure I read it here, as well as it being in this:
The Code of Practice for Open Rescue Boats of Less than 15 Metres in Length Consultation
Re: Position of throttles - what is the standard position? - on my personal boat the throttles are placed in the middle of the console which I detest and I would move them in a heart beat to this "non-standard" position if it didn't involved a lot of effort and money.

Re: Spring loading of throttles - my statement still stands - the document you refer to it still only a "draft"
Old 06 May 2013, 17:16   #9

Quote:
If you can get in the habit of clipping to wheel or screen then its in your face or needs removed before your start. It still won't guarantee it - but helps to get into the habit. The other 'trick' is to keep it attached to YOU when you get out. Then you have to reconnect to drive.
Maybe manufacturers should come up with a KC which wont allow the engine to start until it's attached to the helmsman?
Old 06 May 2013, 17:19   #10

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Engine: Suzuki 250
anybody ever used the "wireless" kill switches out there? Do they work? Are they reliable?

Tags
aint broke dont fix it, autotether, coastkey, deranged, improved, keyfob, kill cord, killcord, lanyard, mob, ramblings, rfid, tag, unrealistic, wireless