Click Here to Login

Old 20 May 2013, 12:41   #101

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
So. ... In summary. ...

Kill cords work. ..If they are worn correctly.

The common point of failure of the current system is human one.

So people should just wear them. ..simples. ...
Old 20 May 2013, 12:53   #102
NSS

Length: no boat
Oh well, if nothing else I've at least given you all something to moan about. Funny thing is I thought the idea of a forum was to facilitate discussion. Over and out.
Old 20 May 2013, 12:53   #103

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
So. ... In summary. ...

Kill cords work. ..If they are worn correctly.

The common point of failure of the current system is human one.

So people should just wear them. ..simples. ...
Sounds good to me. Again.
Old 20 May 2013, 12:56   #104

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS View Post
Oh well, if nothing else I've at least given you all something to moan about. Funny thing is I thought the idea of a forum was to facilitate discussion. Over and out.
And discussion there has been. The forum also allows discussion by some who might not share your opinion.
Old 20 May 2013, 14:04   #105

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
A different technical approach and additional education approach are not mutually exclusive.

It seems you refuse to even contemplate that a technical improvement MAY be possible? Remarkable!

Your car driving analogy is not well thought through. We can all see the obvious distinctions between boats and cars.

I don't claim that my idea is perfect but it has some merits and yes, I would be willing to use it on a RIB. I think you'll find it is similar in concept to the watch keeping system installed on some commercial vessels to address/combat watchkeeper fatigue. The affirmation interval would have to be short (maybe 1 minute) but if it is done by programmable logic then (for example) the interval could be inversely proportional to throttle setting.
This idea along with the spring loaded foot throttle and deadmans handle are IMHO a complete waste of time. The last thing I want to be doing when manouvering to fish someone out of the water on Chi Bar when it kicks off, is to be resetting a button, together with the possibililty that it cuts out the motor at a crucial moment, endangering everyone.
A proximity sensor would, in my view be a step in the right direction, if it could be done without needing batteries.
The kill cord works well. If you choose not to use it then the Darwin principle will catch up with you at some point and possibly innocent bystanders. I do not believe it can be made idiot proof.
Old 20 May 2013, 14:08   #106
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
And discussion there has been. The forum also allows discussion by some who might not share your opinion.
I think there's a fairly standard progression that's happened here:-
  • Put up an idea for public discussion
  • Discussion ensues
  • Assume that 'discussion' means everyone will agree and tell you what a top bloke you are
  • If the majority disagree with your idea, refuse to acknowledge you might be wrong
    (Note, from this point onwards, the following is almost inevitable)
  • Come up with more and more tenuous justification until the hole is so big it's impossible to get out of
  • Refer to 'thought police' or
  • Complain that your idea wasn't discussed properly because people disagreed with you
  • Say something that either sounds petulant or final, then leave discussion

Nobody is immune from having unworkable ideas or from voicing them and they shouldn't be censored.Neither should the replies.
We've all done it at some point and been told we're being silly/unrealistic/shot down (search back for my rather dumb idea of turning an Avon Redcrest into a sailing dinghy...)

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2013, 14:44   #107
NSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
I think there's a fairly standard progression that's happened here:-
  • Put up an idea for public discussion
  • Discussion ensues
  • Assume that 'discussion' means everyone will agree and tell you what a top bloke you are
  • If the majority disagree with your idea, refuse to acknowledge you might be wrong
    (Note, from this point onwards, the following is almost inevitable)
  • Come up with more and more tenuous justification until the hole is so big it's impossible to get out of
  • Refer to 'thought police' or
  • Complain that your idea wasn't discussed properly because people disagreed with you
  • Say something that either sounds petulant or final, then leave discussion

Nobody is immune from having unworkable ideas or from voicing them and they shouldn't be censored.Neither should the replies.
We've all done it at some point and been told we're being silly/unrealistic/shot down (search back for my rather dumb idea of turning an Avon Redcrest into a sailing dinghy...)
Actually, I thought you and I had a sensible exchaange on it. You pointed out flaws, I suggested some potential remedies thereto. You (rightly) indicated that it was becoming more and more complex. As I said at the outset, I was happy to be shot down if the idea was crap. What I object to is when someone suggests that an idea is irrelevant simply because the person putting it forward has 'limited' exposure to ribbing.

There's an old saying - Familiarity breeds contempt.
Old 20 May 2013, 14:57   #108

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Seems to me that most people are sheep and will invariably react to peer pressure or the common consensus. They do not like to go against the trend for fear of being ridiculed or bollocked. If there was a media campaign and signage reminding you to wear your killcord, so it becomes the norm, most people will obey. Maybe a push in that direction might help?
Old 20 May 2013, 15:28   #109
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
What I object to is when someone suggests that an idea is irrelevant simply because the person putting it forward has 'limited' exposure to ribbing.
I've pretty much been ignoring this thread until now. I spoke my mind because it had degenerated into fantasy talk. Wheel grips, push buttons, alarms, dead man brakes, the whole nine yards - right up there with putting parachutes on planes in case the engines die.

I think these ideas are pants. I think they're pants because they'd be AWFUL to work with on the water. I'd HATE to have to endure them on my boat. They are conceived to prevent numpties from hurting themselves. This could also be achieved by keeping the numpties on the beach. I think that suggesting these "solutions" indicates a lack of experience rather than a lack of intelligence.

Please don't take my comments as a personal attack on you - they were directed at a wide panel of posters.
Old 20 May 2013, 15:29   #110
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Actually, I thought you and I had a sensible exchaange on it. You pointed out flaws, I suggested some potential remedies thereto. You (rightly) indicated that it was becoming more and more complex. As I said at the outset, I was happy to be shot down if the idea was crap. What I object to is when someone suggests that an idea is irrelevant simply because the person putting it forward has 'limited' exposure to ribbing.

There's an old saying - Familiarity breeds contempt.
I wasn't talking about you particularly and I was enjoying the discussion-though it did illustrate my point a bit up til you didn't properly flounce or lose your temper (that's what usually happens!)

For what it's worth, I did notice a bit of a correlation between the type of rib owned (which usually indicates the type of usage) and the opinion or ideas of the owner. The more' leisure orentated' the boat type, the more likely the owners seem to be to want something changed, or legislation.No comment on the amount of usage-I'm hardly qualified to comment as my Searider hasn't been used for 6 months because I've been spending every spare pound and minute working on the Ballistic.

Old 20 May 2013, 15:37   #111

Town: london
Boat name: Yo-Yo
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha 300
[QUOTE=willk;539111]- right up there with putting parachutes on planes in case the engines die.

Ummm they do they are called "Ballistic Recovery Systems"
Old 20 May 2013, 15:41   #112
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxg View Post

Damn, and I thought that was a winch, trailer and an auxiliary engine...

Old 20 May 2013, 15:54   #113

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post

So, if I understand correctly, your position is:

- the existing technical solution can't be improved; or

- no improvement is needed because average ~4 preventable deaths per year is trivial/negligible/not worthy of consideration.

Is that it?

- no, nowhere in my comment did I say the technical solution can't be improved

- no, no where in my comment did I say no improvement is needed.

Suggest you actually read what I did write again.
That's what happens when people (albeit often well meaning) go off with half baked ideas that quite simply won't work in the real world.
Old 20 May 2013, 15:58   #114
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxg View Post
Yeah, that was kinda my point - they've hardly been widely adopted!
Old 20 May 2013, 15:59   #115

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
Quote:
................ Over and out.
Just as part of our Ribnet ethos of sharing and coaching proper Radio procedure it's either

Over, (you then await a reply) OR
Out ,(no further reply expected)

NOT BOTH
Old 20 May 2013, 16:17   #116
NSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
Just as part of our Ribnet ethos of sharing and coaching proper Radio procedure it's either

Over, (you then await a reply) OR
Out ,(no further reply expected)

NOT BOTH
Darn, there I go showing my ineptitude again
Old 20 May 2013, 16:23   #117
NSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I've pretty much been ignoring this thread until now. I spoke my mind because it had degenerated into fantasy talk. Wheel grips, push buttons, alarms, dead man brakes, the whole nine yards - right up there with putting parachutes on planes in case the engines die.

I think these ideas are pants. I think they're pants because they'd be AWFUL to work with on the water. I'd HATE to have to endure them on my boat. They are conceived to prevent numpties from hurting themselves. This could also be achieved by keeping the numpties on the beach. I think that suggesting these "solutions" indicates a lack of experience rather than a lack of intelligence.

Please don't take my comments as a personal attack on you - they were directed at a wide panel of posters.
Far more effective then if you'd spelled out your objections in practical terms, rather than suggesting the ideas are of no worth because originators are not serious/experienced ribbers.
Old 20 May 2013, 16:26   #118
NSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
I wasn't talking about you particularly and I was enjoying the discussion-though it did illustrate my point a bit up til you didn't properly flounce or lose your temper (that's what usually happens!)

For what it's worth, I did notice a bit of a correlation between the type of rib owned (which usually indicates the type of usage) and the opinion or ideas of the owner. The more' leisure orentated' the boat type, the more likely the owners seem to be to want something changed, or legislation.No comment on the amount of usage-I'm hardly qualified to comment as my Searider hasn't been used for 6 months because I've been spending every spare pound and minute working on the Ballistic.
Then at the risk of further ridicule, may I respectfully make another suggestion - Why not create a section for 'Leisure' users?
Old 20 May 2013, 16:38   #119
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Then at the risk of further ridicule, may I respectfully make another suggestion - Why not create a section for 'Leisure' users?
You could ask JK. Personally I can't really see any benefit from it. Almost everything discussed outside the commercial section is relevant to leisure users.

Old 20 May 2013, 16:43   #120
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Far more effective then if you'd spelled out your objections in practical terms...
Point taken, in future I'll spell it out for you

Tags
aint broke dont fix it, autotether, coastkey, deranged, improved, keyfob, kill cord, killcord, lanyard, mob, ramblings, rfid, tag, unrealistic, wireless