Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 18 May 2013, 15:15   #51
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Remind me... ...do you take your boat anywhere where it might get wet? Connection is bound to get wet at some point and then the engine don't start.

Would add a load of micro elecrtonics that might fail and not cut anything out at all.
Ever heard of induction? Doesn't matter how wet things get, you still get an electrical connection.

I can start my outboard without kill cord, but cannot connect kill cord without stoping engine. Or I could just motor off without using kill cord or connect kill cord, start engine and have a senile moment and forget to attach to me.

A timer is a very basic circuit, hardly micro electronics. I am pretty sure that even the most basic of existing ecu's are far more complicated than a timer circuit and an outboard would be no less reliable with such a trivial circuit added.

If people are given freedom of use in a controlled manner, they are less likely to circumvent safety devices. People clearly want the ability to move away from the outboard under certain circumstances. Give them an opportunity to do so in a low risk environment but don't allow the low risk environment to turn into a high risk environment without use of appropriate safety device.

Why would someone disconnect device from their leg if it allowed them the freedom of movement to undertake their task by the even simpler action of disconnecting the device.

A device that is too restrictive or too easy to ignore/forget is less likely to be used than a device that is user friendly. A device that is used 99% of the time that prevents 99% of incidents is far more effective than a device that is used 40% of the time and catches 99.9% of incidents.
__________________

__________________
IanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2013, 15:17   #52
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR View Post
Eh? For goodness sake - if it ain't broken, why fix it? A string and a switch is the most reliable, dependable, sensible way to do it - no electronics to get messed up by water/salt. How people sort out their kill-cords when their kids are learning/driving really isn't the issue (think about driving lessons?!) - so why are we worrying about it?

If the helm goes over the side - the boat needs to stop. Wear a killcord. It's not complicated - unless you're terminally stupid.

Blimey, common sense - yes, it really as as simple as that!
__________________

__________________
thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2013, 15:49   #53
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post
Ever heard of induction? Doesn't matter how wet things get, you still get an electrical connection.
Yip. Clearly you don't understand the physics of induction!

So lets assume the live side of the inductive loop is connected to the engine as thats where you have a power source. You then induce a current in the kill cord. How will you know that you've induced that current? Or more importantly how will you know you've not because its broken or missing? You'd need to create a second induction back to the engine but make that sufficiently screened from the first induction which means you'll need it to be a distance away.

The alternative is to have power in the cord and just pick up induction once but now you've added the need for a power source in the KC.

Quote:
Why would someone disconnect device from their leg if it allowed them the freedom of movement to undertake their task by the even simpler action of disconnecting the device.
Because that still slows down the boat to idle etc. From my experience most KC connections are underneath the throttle and not easy to actually see where you are plugging into with cold fingers etc. And coz people are people.

Quote:
A device that is used 99% of the time that prevents 99% of incidents is far more effective than a device that is used 40% of the time and catches 99.9% of incidents.
But if you are the 1% that it failed for and you would have been wearing it in the other case you will be mighty pi$$ed. And you are being slightly optomistic that your tweak of the design will move from 40% (an underestimate IMHO) to 99%.
__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2013, 16:01   #54
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR View Post
Eh? For goodness sake - if it ain't broken, why fix it? A string and a switch is the most reliable, dependable, sensible way to do it - no electronics to get messed up by water/salt.
Spot on! But its reliant on a human remembering to attach to it because the existing technology allows you to forget to connect up. There are people on here who regulalry wear their KC but will admit to having disconnected their leg at some point to do something, sat back at the console and forgotten to hook on again.

Quote:
How people sort out their kill-cords when their kids are learning/driving really isn't the issue (think about driving lessons?!) - so why are we worrying about it?
On what basis is it not an issue to worry about?

We don't know what happened in Padstow. But the MAIB message contains that reference to switching off the engine when changing helms. Not something that seems to feature in any message about kill cords I've seen before. That means there might be a hint that there was an issue around more than one person having been helming.

Quote:
If the helm goes over the side - the boat needs to stop. Wear a killcord. It's not complicated - unless you're terminally stupid.
Thats the wording thats needed on the reminder sticker!
[/QUOTE]
__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2013, 16:22   #55
DGR
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Spot on! But its reliant on a human remembering to attach to it because the existing technology allows you to forget to connect up. There are people on here who regulalry wear their KC but will admit to having disconnected their leg at some point to do something, sat back at the console and forgotten to hook on again.
Sometimes you DO have to. Just not when you are hoooning about at 40 kts. I have to disconnect to pick up my mooring. The boat is in neutral when I move away from the console - but the engine isn't off. If it was, by the time I restarted I'd be aground or caught up in the bridge - there's no other option. You just have to make sure that you DO reconnect.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
On what basis is it not an issue to worry about?
My Dad taught me to drive in a standard car - no additional controls etc. I learnt to drive in stages, and I guess Dad took me out on the road when he felt I wasn't going to kill him. Same with all 3 of my brothers. Maybe the 'instructor' is more wary because he didn't have any other control (or kill cord) - or he just made sure that he was happy before we got ourselves into that position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
We don't know what happened in Padstow. But the MAIB message contains that reference to switching off the engine when changing helms. Not something that seems to feature in any message about kill cords I've seen before. That means there might be a hint that there was an issue around more than one person having been helming.

Thats the wording thats needed on the reminder sticker!
Indeed we don't - speculation not withstanding - but it's still down to the helm/owner - they are responsible for what happens on their boat - I know I am.
__________________
DGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2013, 17:56   #56
Member
 
mister p's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS View Post
I know, but would it work? If so, consider it my gift to the boating world
Sorry, sounded a bit smug, wasn't meant to. Would have helped if my smiley was a saddy.
__________________
mister p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2013, 04:02   #57
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Yip. Clearly you don't understand the physics of induction!

So lets assume the live side of the inductive loop is connected to the engine as thats where you have a power source. You then induce a current in the kill cord. How will you know that you've induced that current? Or more importantly how will you know you've not because its broken or missing? You'd need to create a second induction back to the engine but make that sufficiently screened from the first induction which means you'll need it to be a distance away.
How can you say that I don't know physics of induction then go on to say one way how induction would work. I never gave details of the connector, how many connectors, size, method, strength of pull needed to seperate etc etc but by not doing so, you state that I know nothing about induction.
__________________
IanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2013, 04:12   #58
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
I'm in the "it isn't broken why try and fix it with complicated stuff" camp - it would need industry wide adoption of a new system that would have to be designed test and built whereas education could start tomorrow.

By the way for racing everyone in the boat needs a kill cord - it's possible to fit any number to a boat - Yamaha ones are totally sealed and very reliable and can be fitted to any engine.
__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2013, 04:42   #59
Member
 
Crusher's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 626
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
I'm in the "it isn't broken why try and fix it with complicated stuff" camp
+1 Keep it simple ....
__________________
Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2013, 05:11   #60
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Spare Rib
Make: Zodiac/Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp Yamaha
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
I'm in the "it isn't broken why try and fix it with complicated stuff" camp - it would need industry wide adoption of a new system that would have to be designed test and built whereas education could start tomorrow.

By the way for racing everyone in the boat needs a kill cord - it's possible to fit any number to a boat - Yamaha ones are totally sealed and very reliable and can be fitted to any engine.
But in this case an 'automatic' engine cut out would very likely have saved two lives, two serious injuries and immeasurable personal anguish, not to mention a substantial amount of public money. So there is at least a respectable argument for saying that the safety system is 'broken' or, at the very least, that there is room for improvement.

Just an idea, how about a system that requires a periodic (once a minute?) affirmative action, perhaps a push button, absent which the throttle is retarded to idle (or ignition cut completely).
__________________

__________________
Tim Spring
Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aint broke dont fix it, autotether, coastkey, deranged, improved, keyfob, kill cord, killcord, lanyard, mob, ramblings, rfid, tag, unrealistic, wireless

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.