Old 01 February 2014, 03:55   #201

Town: London
Seatbelts have been in cars for ages. But now we have sensors reminding us to use them.

Old 01 February 2014, 04:09   #202

Town: Derry/Southampton
Boat name: Jumpin Jack
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 200 Opti
I did a safety course recently, the instructor proposed that a 'sharp spike' attached to the centre of the steering wheel, on a car, pointed at the driver would have more of a safe driving effect to the driver than wearing a seat belt!

Old 01 February 2014, 04:11   #203

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presuming Ed View Post
Seatbelts have been in cars for ages. But now we have sensors reminding us to use them.
And people still find ways to get around the system and not wear a seatbelt.

Seatbelts and killcords are both low tech, but very effective safety devices The flaw is that the person sitting on the seat doesn't want to use the safety device, can't be bothered to use it, does not realise the risks, or for some reason feels it's macho to not use it. Other than education and peer pressure there is not really a viable solution.

Legislation will not work, just look at texting while driving. That's illegal and carries a fine and points, but every day I see people doing it.

Chris
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 February 2014, 04:26   #204
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpinjack View Post
I did a safety course recently, the instructor proposed that a 'sharp spike' attached to the centre of the steering wheel, on a car, pointed at the driver would have more of a safe driving effect to the driver than wearing a seat belt!
It would! There is a well documented effect of risk compensation. I'm not suggesting for a minute that kill cords (or seat belts) are not a very good idea but if you want to avoid the accident rather than mitigate the consequences they are both the wrong solution.

Interestingly I've had lots of discussions with people who refuse to acknowledge that they risk compensate (we ALL do).
Old 01 February 2014, 04:58   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post
And people still find ways to get around the system and not wear a seatbelt.

Seatbelts and killcords are both low tech, but very effective safety devices The flaw is that the person sitting on the seat doesn't want to use the safety device, can't be bothered to use it, does not realise the risks, or for some reason feels it's macho to not use it. Other than education and peer pressure there is not really a viable solution.
Yes, but you have to make a positive decision not to use a seatbelt. Either you put up with incessant peeping,or you buckle it and sit on top of it. You don't just forget it.

I agree that legislation about kill cord use would achieve nothing. And electronic replacements for kill cords create as many problems as they solve. But some way of reminding people to use it more than just a sticker would be a good idea - as with seatbelts.

How about you can't start the engine until you've removed the kill cord and plugged it back in again? I.e. from all off to engine start would be a two stage process. Like the way that you can't start an engine in gear. Or that you have to switch the electrics on with the kill cord out, and then plug it in?
Old 01 February 2014, 05:18   #206
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presuming Ed View Post
Yes, but you have to make a positive decision not to use a seatbelt. Either you put up with incessant peeping,or you buckle it and sit on top of it. You don't just forget it. I have (easily) disabled the "Bonger" on my Disco4 as it drove me mad when I was reversing. However I ALWAYS use my seat belt as it feels wrong if I don't, apart from when I'm reversing the trailer.

I agree that legislation about kill cord use would achieve nothing. And electronic replacements for kill cords create as many problems as they solve. But some way of reminding people to use it more than just a sticker would be a good idea - as with seatbelts.

How about you can't start the engine until you've removed the kill cord and plugged it back in again? I.e. from all off to engine start would be a two stage process. Like the way that you can't start an engine in gear. Or that you have to switch the electrics on with the kill cord out, and then plug it in?
And pray, how would that make people wear the killcord, all that does is make starting the engine un-necessarily complex, ever picked up divers amongst rocks with the wind behind you? Until you remove the need for human interaction, all you are doing is polishing a turd
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 February 2014, 05:26   #207
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Presuming Ed - the solution is in this thread much further back. it requires a little change in habit for helmsmen (and could become 'best practice teaching for RYA' if they wanted) - with NO new equipment, NO fancy / expensive technology, NOTHING more likely to fail than current practice.

KEEP YOUR KILL CORD ATTACHED TO YOU - NEVER LEAVE IT JUST DANGLING AT THE CONTROLS.
Old 01 February 2014, 05:37   #208

Length: no boat
They need them on motorbikes - I fell of in Scotland once - but the bike got back up on its feet and ran on as a riderless horse for hundreds of yards with me running after it. My mate behind chased it for a while not quite sure what to do. He managed to get a hand on the handle bars - but having discovered the free life the bike immediately committed suicide in a rather deep ravine. Riding pillion back to London was a sobering experience.
Old 01 February 2014, 05:38   #209
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Presuming Ed - the solution is in this thread much further back. it requires a little change in habit for helmsmen (and could become 'best practice teaching for RYA' if they wanted) - with NO new equipment, NO fancy / expensive technology, NOTHING more likely to fail than current practice.

KEEP YOUR KILL CORD ATTACHED TO YOU - NEVER LEAVE IT JUST DANGLING AT THE CONTROLS.
The single thing that has helped me, is that I no longer just let the KC dangle when not in use. I clip it around the steering wheel, no need for fancy systems, stickers etc. The most sophisticated system known to man is already installed on every boat, it just needs using
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 February 2014, 06:16   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
The single thing that has helped me, is that I no longer just let the KC dangle when not in use. I clip it around the steering wheel, no need for fancy systems, stickers etc. The most sophisticated system known to man is already installed on every boat, it just needs using
I just drape it when swapping helms, but I like the idea of clipping it.

Tags
aint broke dont fix it, autotether, coastkey, deranged, improved, keyfob, kill cord, killcord, lanyard, mob, ramblings, rfid, tag, unrealistic, wireless