Old 16 April 2009, 08:54   #1

Town: Marham, Norfolk
Boat name: None yet...
Make: ...
Length: no boat
Engine: ...
Hi everyone! New to the site and wondering about Diving Ribs

Hello everyone,

I am currently booking my scuba diving courses from when I come back to the UK in July and im thinking that maybe it would be beneficial to buy a RIB for the purpose of getting to and from dive and wreck sites around the coastal areas, and maybe even do charter runs to dive sites on weekends to raise a little extra cash.

What would I need in order to do this? I was thinking of a 4 or 6 seat RIB much like this one:

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F205016

--------------------

Would this kind of RIB be ok for heading out to sea and visiting wreck sites?

Also about how much does it cost fuel wise to run a RIB like this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

John
Old 16 April 2009, 09:14   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Tornado or Humber are usually the choice of the dive guys. You're doing the right thing by running your short list choices by the members on this site.

By buying an out and out dive boat, you'll be going in the right direction, it's avoiding a mechanical dog that this site may help with.

Good Luck.
Old 16 April 2009, 10:09   #3

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyelland1234 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am currently booking my scuba diving courses from when I come back to the UK in July and im thinking that maybe it would be beneficial to buy a RIB for the purpose of getting to and from dive and wreck sites around the coastal areas, and maybe even do charter runs to dive sites on weekends to raise a little extra cash.

What would I need in order to do this? I was thinking of a 4 or 6 seat RIB much like this one:

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F205016

--------------------

Would this kind of RIB be ok for heading out to sea and visiting wreck sites?

Also about how much does it cost fuel wise to run a RIB like this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

John
Not meaning to piss on your parade, but don't you think you might be a bit premature in buying a boat for diving and running paid dives from? If you haven't even done any dive training, let alone boat handling? I would recommend that you learn to dive then go out and about with various clubs, charters untill you've picked up enough experience to make the right call.
Old 16 April 2009, 11:39   #4

Town: Marham, Norfolk
Boat name: None yet...
Make: ...
Length: no boat
Engine: ...
Yup, just putting it out there for information, I never said I was buying a boat any time. Just curious.

It's an option that i'd like to explore for the future and thats why I came to this site.
Old 16 April 2009, 19:51   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyelland1234 View Post
Yup, just putting it out there for information, I never said I was buying a boat any time. Just curious.

It's an option that i'd like to explore for the future and thats why I came to this site.
mmm... its an odd way to start, look at buying commercial dive boat then get trained to dive... assuming you are not a troll, or just posting to indirectly promote the advertised RIB - then:

1). Yes that boat is well suited to traveling to/from dive sites. The divers here may have specific ideas on whats good or bad about boat layouts (space for kitting up, bottle storage, seating arrangements, load/balance etc).

2). How much fuel you use will depend on how heavily the boat is loaded as well as the engine and the boat, and of course how far your going etc. The cost to you will also depend on if you are operating commercially - as then you may be able to claim back duty and/or VAT. Fuel economies of 1 L/Nm at cruising speed are considered good on "family" boats - I wouldn't be surprised if you were double that.

3). Going down the commercially coded route is not really for a hobby its for business. Search the commercial bit of the forum for whats required - but you'll have extra insurance, training, equipment costs before you start. Its also pretty competitive - and its not like you are going to have a fantastic USP like "30 years local diving experience" to base your charters around.