Old 13 August 2007, 16:55   #1

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Spare Rib
Make: Flatacraft Force 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Mariner
Hi all, new to ribbing!

Hi my name is Anthony, I have just joined the ribbing fraternity with my Flatacraft Force 4.
Based at Northney so its a long treck to the ocean but never mind!
My dad has completed the RYA L2 course through the Navy so hopefully will pick up a few tips from him, looking to take the course myself in a little while.

My only immediate problem is my trailer, its, well, knackered! Its an old box steel jobby which came with the boat, unfortunately its load bearing capacity was too low for the boat, not to mention the drawbar was too short (had to reverse the car so the doorsills were at sea level -damn!) So thats the current project!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The boat!.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	29262  
Old 13 August 2007, 17:12   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Don't you mean the Sea? It's a lot closer to you than the Ocean - unless you happen to be a Yank who uses that term for any salty bit of water......

Great boat though!!!

Keep those tubes out of the sun as much as you can or use something like 303 protector - from personal experience tubes that colour don't like sunlight. Seagulls love them unfortunately......
Old 13 August 2007, 22:57   #3

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Don't you mean the Sea? It's a lot closer to you than the Ocean - unless you happen to be a Yank who uses that term for any salty bit of water......

Great boat though!!!

Keep those tubes out of the sun as much as you can or use something like 303 protector - from personal experience tubes that colour don't like sunlight. Seagulls love them unfortunately......
Good point... what are seagulls favourite targets, we should start a thread on that and how to avoid them !! On you go codders... Sorry Ant K, welcome to the fraternity ! I'm sure if you post here a few times, your solution will not be far away !
Old 14 August 2007, 00:17   #4

For some reason anything bright and shiny - especially bright blue. I am lucky in my Harbour but in Gernsey they really do single out blue boats!!!

Also why do birds ONLY crap on my car when it's been washed. YES REALLY!!!
Old 14 August 2007, 08:04   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant K View Post
not to mention the drawbar was too short (had to reverse the car so the doorsills were at sea level -damn!) So thats the current project!
Flatacraft 4's are great little boats well done

Don't do tht again. Use a rope providing you have a jogkey wheel, Your'e car will not forgive you for immersing it. Trust me I know.

If you intend to use the boat before getting any instruction then do yourself a favour and get one of the books that introduce you to powerboating and learn the theory.

Look in bookharbour.com and get powerboating by Peter White Fernhurst publications Or Paul Glatzels book which is published by the RYA. No need to get both they are much alike

Also call the Southampton and Portsmouth Harbourmastes and ask if they have any pamphlets regarding regs. The Southampton one is very informative and has a lot of boating info.

The RNLI publishes a very good book on safety and you can get that from RNLI head office at Poole I am sure they will send you a copy.

Consider getting yourself a Sea safety check from the RNLI It's free

Good luck and hope you get as much fun as I did from my 1st rib
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2007, 08:31   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Ant

Congrtaulations with the new boat.

I second everything that Rogue said however if your going to do a course why wait. You are going to get more out of your boat and be less likely to do damage if you do the course now.
Old 14 August 2007, 16:14   #7

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Spare Rib
Make: Flatacraft Force 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Mariner
Thanks for the advice guys, Managed to get hold of a new galvanised trailer

Regarding the training, I failed to mention the reason I am taking it in a while is that I'm off on holiday to bonny Scotland! so won't have time / money to do it till I get back!
Old 14 August 2007, 17:38   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant K View Post
Thanks for the advice guys, Managed to get hold of a new galvanised trailer

Regarding the training, I failed to mention the reason I am taking it in a while is that I'm off on holiday to bonny Scotland! so won't have time / money to do it till I get back!
By then you won't need it!!! Have fun and use a bit of common sense. Carry some means of comms with you - actually ON you so that if you go overboard you can get help.

Some flares and a lifejacket would be good and don't forget an anchor. Don't bother with a folding grapnel - they are useless except on rock. Use a Bruce or better still Delta or similar. Paddles are also very handy on a smaller boat.