Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Don't think they are exactly targeting the same market though - 5.6m v's 7m and 40HP v's as much as you can afford!
Lighten up Polward. Look at the videos. Everything looks great until you get the damn thing home. They look great, but in our unpredictable weather (even in summer), it would be a waste of time and money.

Don't get me wrong. there's been many a time when I've been in horizontal rain, I can't feel my fingers and my passengers are wondering why they came out? For less cash you'd be better opting for a Orkney cabin! I can see it now, cheese and pickle sandwiches, milky sweet tea, and the wiper going into meltdown. Heaven!
Old 15 January 2011, 21:02   #22

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Oh - The N-zo is just a grim boat to be called a RIB - super heavy , slow and unresponsive for a 7.5m RIB even with 225hp on the back. Am sure it will appeal to those who would have bought a sea-ray type though...
It still winds me up that the N-zo could still be a good Rib. Its nearly there but it should not need a 300 hp lump on the back, to get it handling well. Having said that, if they could get it sorted, I might just buy one.
Old 15 January 2011, 22:13   #23
NSS

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Don't think they are exactly targeting the same market though - 5.6m v's 7m and 40HP v's as much as you can afford!

I don't think anyone makes an "off the shelf" cabin rib in the UK which will go (legally) on a 750 kg unbraked trailer - like your friend claims his can. I also don't know of anyone producing cabins on boats as small as 5.6m - the trend in the UK leisure market when offering "luxury" like a cabin seems to be towards bigger, more expensive boats with bigger more expensive engines which will burn more fuel.

I'm not sure how "serious" / "off-shore" your friends hull design is (see comments further up about medium-V), and perhaps this has had to be compromised to keep the weight and power requirements down - but actually the average leisure boat owner only goes out in nice weather anyway so it may not be an issue. There is a market for a simple "overnight" cruising RIB around the 6m mark - which is clear every time the cabin / tent / pilot house / shelter thread comes up on here. I'm surprised nobody at the lower cost end of the market has come up with something.
IMHO, the most reasonable post on the thread. I for one can see the attraction of a relatively small, relatively low cost (shame the web site doesn't give price info), RIB with such a 'semi-cab'. As you say Polwart, leisure ribbers (such as myself) who might purchase such a RIB are not primarily interested in rough weather capability. Having said that, the photos and video don't appear to show any seating in the cockpit (other than the helm seat) and I can't imagine my mrs wanting to lay in the cabin, on the 'sundeck', nor sit on the tubes whilst under way. I see there's an optional table for the cockpit. Is additional cockpit seating also optional?
Old 15 January 2011, 22:25   #24

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS View Post
IMHO, the most reasonable post on the thread. I for one can see the attraction of a relatively small, relatively low cost (shame the web site doesn't give price info), RIB with such a 'semi-cab'. As you say Polwart, leisure ribbers (such as myself) who might purchase such a RIB are not primarily interested in rough weather capability. Having said that, the photos and video don't appear to show any seating in the cockpit (other than the helm seat) and I can't imagine my mrs wanting to lay in the cabin, on the 'sundeck', nor sit on the tubes whilst under way. I see there's an optional table for the cockpit. Is additional cockpit seating also optional?
I must confess if it has an inboard khazi for the wife ... options are looking good

What is wrong with 40 something laydies .... when I was a young chap they would piss behind a hedge without a problem .... now they need a fecking permit, full wash facilities and permission from the local council to fart
Old 15 January 2011, 22:49   #25

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
I had three of them hanging off the back of the boat last summer, I'm not sure if it's wrong to feel like I benefited from the experience though
Old 16 January 2011, 08:59   #26
RIBnet supporter

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Engine: 90hp Opti
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
I had three of them hanging off the back of the boat last summer, I'm not sure if it's wrong to feel like I benefited from the experience though
I'm sure that was a sight for sore eyes!!!

Old 16 January 2011, 10:56   #27

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
i was laying in bed roughly working out how much to build a 7m with cabin, please keep in mind that i have just put a cabin on a 7.2 outboard boat and i have a 8.3m one as well,
well here in the uk to build a 7 m with some form of cabin, be it cuddy or full and plonking a 200hp outboard on the back would be around the 40k mark finished.
there wouldn't be a lot of money in that to make me want to start cleaning the moulds, there's a lot of hours in doing one and even at mates/ribnet prices i'd be doing it for wages, which i can earn without any outlay, sad truth i'm afraid
Old 16 January 2011, 11:06   #28

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
i have just put a cabin on a 7.2 outboard boat
how's it coming along now the weathers a bit warmer??
Old 16 January 2011, 14:12   #29

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
how's it coming along now the weathers a bit warmer??
just got to flat and polish gell round the steering boss
Old 16 January 2011, 14:32   #30

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
just got to flat and polish gell round the steering boss
Old 17 January 2011, 12:01   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS View Post
The cost is around 15k € +VAT and I think it is a good price.
The cockpit seat is optional and it can be integrated in the tube.