Old 26 August 2008, 21:08   #1

Length: no boat
help with first rib ...

Hi,

First post and all that and i'm already after help ....

anyway, a while ago I decided that after a trip on a very rapid jet ski ( seadoo RXP ) whith somewhere in the region of 230bhp and 70 + mph I decided I wanted one. Then I had a change of plan and have decided to investigate the world of ribs. So i've been looking around the bottom end of the market and think something around 4-5mtr should do, I want to be able to take a few people out and have enough power to have some fun. I want to use it around the local river, lakes and possibly around the local east coast.

I want to spend the least amount possible and think something around 4k should do although less is a bonus, i'm looking towards some of the Avons and Zodica's it needs to be easy to tow as I only have an A3 which I beleive can tow something around 1700kg on a braked trailer, although stopping it is probably more of a concern..i'll do something with the brakes but thats only a small part of it. ...

So what should i look for and is there anything you can reccomend ? i'm going to the boat show to get an idea on whats out there... also what are peoples thoughts on the jet ribs ? they look quick and have a few benefits over a ski, oh and at some point I may want to tow but realise this might not be possible and it won't be a deal breaker.

Thanks
Steve
Old 26 August 2008, 21:40   #2

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Welcome to RIBnet

Don't go to the boat show to look at what's in the market as you'll have to wait 15 years for the RIB of your dreams to fall into your budget

Searider from Avon is what you're looking for and can be picked up cheap enough providing you put some work into it. If you're going to do lots of river work, then a 4 stroke would be Ideal as they are well suited to pottering around at low RPM and will be equally happy in the Sea too.

Do a search for Avon Searider on this forum to see what you're letting youself into, they are an excellent boat and have a bit of a cult status as being hard as rock.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2008, 21:47   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Welcome to RIBnet.

For £4k you can forget buying new.

A new Zodiac 7-Man Pro (4.2m) with Yamaha 40hp/50hp (4-stroke) on a Indespension trailer or similar will set you back in the region of £8.5k - £10k.

However - it would be better to buy second hand for a start so you can familiarise yourself with a RIB without spending lots of money. In time you can always trade up once you know exactly what you want it for.

There's a nice Delta 5.5m (1989) on www.boatandoutboards.com just now for £4,500 or a Humber 5.0m for £4,000. Both are well-proven boats. Okay, engines are getting on a bit, but if you're mechanically minded then it shouldn't be a problem. You could also consider a Avon SR4 if you can find one in good nick.
Old 26 August 2008, 21:59   #4

thanks for the welcome, i'm under no illusion about getting something new, just something useable, i'll have a search but one thing i think I want is the bench style seat rather than the jockey seating ... I don't know why but I just prefer it. Also how much do prices fall by out of season ? I'm prepared to wait and travel.
Old 26 August 2008, 22:08   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTDCi View Post
thanks for the welcome, i'm under no illusion about getting something new, just something useable, i'll have a search but one thing i think I want is the bench style seat rather than the jockey seating ... I don't know why but I just prefer it. Also how much do prices fall by out of season ? I'm prepared to wait and travel.

Try both types of seating in a chop before making your mind up.

Prices don't fall by much out of season on older boats unless people are desperate to sell-and you usually have to ask yourself why. You really do get what you pay for.

Have a read of this:-

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?p=249763#post249763

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2008, 22:21   #6

I have emailed asking about this ...

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F190231

this might be too much ...

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/BMB828

jet rib .... or these banned on the forum

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/CST306

this is even more than I want to spend but give me a set of stripes and i'm happy !

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F184288

the only reason I prefer the bench style is because if you go out its easier to sit and talk rather than have eveyone behind you, I went out on a cobra ???? I think that was around 7mtr with a 150 honda on the back, that was ok but again way out of my price range.
Old 26 August 2008, 22:34   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
at speed you can't really talk anyway (its more shouting over wind/engine noise). if its pottering or at anchor you can sit on the tubes so everyone is within eyesight and earshot.
Old 26 August 2008, 22:36   #8
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Sorry if I seem a bit negative here but I can't emphasise enough the importance of sea trialling a couple of boats just to make sure. The experience with the Cobra doesn't count for much as smaller ribs are a totally different animal and the punishment you take is hugely influenced by the seating.If you intend any rough/intermediate weather use you'll probably regret a bench seat.
as Polwart says-be aware that at 30 knots you can't talk much over wind (and engine if you've got a 2 stroke) noise anyway.

Those little jet ribs are utterly insane and look a huge amount of fun.They go like jetskis.I wouldn't want to use one in a chop though-I followed one round Old Harry a couple of years ago in my old SR4 and it was constantly airborne and slamming down while the SR4 was totally unfazed at the same speed. I wouldn't want to carry passengers in one at any speed unless it was absolutely flat calm.

As with other things, size really does make a big difference.

Old 27 August 2008, 07:43   #9

your not being negative, I have no idea about ribs, you do hence the reason why I came on here ! I'll have to find where the nearest place is to do a few sea trials, i live just outside Peterborough in cambridgeshire and its not best known for its sea front, well not until global warming really kicks in and then as I understand it we will have a sea front !!!! thanks for the help so far.
Old 27 August 2008, 16:48   #10

do I have to be a paid up member to post in the forsale section, that is in response to an advert ?

Thanks
Old 27 August 2008, 16:50   #11
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTDCi View Post
do I have to be a paid up member to post in the forsale section, that is in response to an advert ?

Thanks
No. No-one can reply to adverts for boats except the seller themselves. You'll need to send the seller a private message. Anyone can post a 'wanted' ad or a 'for sale' ad.

Old 27 August 2008, 17:20   #12

thanks, i'll pm them.
Old 27 August 2008, 17:35   #13

what about something like a .. Zodiac Futura MKII HD thats in the classifieds, I understand whats being said about the chop but not sure i'm ready for it. I'd certainly want to do some kind of basic course and I don't think tom tom do somehting for the water yet .. !
Old 27 August 2008, 17:40   #14
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Actually, going and doing a PB2 course would help you no end. It'd certainly make decision making a bit more informed.

It's all very well asking us lot, but we do all have our own little bias.I'd be pimping Seariders if I thought it'd be what you want but realistically you don't know enough yet to properly know what you want. Nothing beats hands on experience!