RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Help with buying decision

Hi all
I am new to this. I have completed my Powerboat Level 2, and currently have a Honwave 3.8 metre inflatable with a brand new Mariner 15.
she who must be obeyed has sanctioned a Rib purchase, and this is where I need some advice.
A new rib, must fit into my garage first and foremost, so beam no wider than 2.3 metres and overall length no more than 5 metres. Its a family inclusive hobby, so will be taking my wife and two boys (aged 6 and 8) out with me, so in terms of seating spec, I have to be able to accomodate 2 adults and 2 kids. It would be used for day jollies, and taken away on holiday with us on a trailer. I did my course in a 5m Humber destroyer, and have also looked enviously at Ribcraft and XS ribs.
I have £5K to spend, plus the trade in/sale value of my inflatable and new mariner - maybe another £1.5K.
I have looked at the Humber website, and seen that the SeaPro/Assault is available at 5 metres and 2 metres beam, for £3485 (dont know if this is plus vat or not) bare boat.. direct price. I could spend £2K on a second hand engine and £1K on a trailer. Could I get 4 on seats in this 5 metre?
Anyone suggest a different Rib for my cash?
Would value some constructive advice...
thanks in advance
Old 07 September 2006, 23:04   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Do You Want New AND CAN YOU STRETCH TO 5,2 METRES
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2006, 23:19   #3

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustRib
Hi all
I am new to this. I have completed my Powerboat Level 2, and currently have a Honwave 3.8 metre inflatable with a brand new Mariner 15.
she who must be obeyed has sanctioned a Rib purchase, and this is where I need some advice.
A new rib, must fit into my garage first and foremost, so beam no wider than 2.3 metres and overall length no more than 5 metres. Its a family inclusive hobby, so will be taking my wife and two boys (aged 6 and 8) out with me, so in terms of seating spec, I have to be able to accomodate 2 adults and 2 kids. It would be used for day jollies, and taken away on holiday with us on a trailer. I did my course in a 5m Humber destroyer, and have also looked enviously at Ribcraft and XS ribs.
I have £5K to spend, plus the trade in/sale value of my inflatable and new mariner - maybe another £1.5K.
I have looked at the Humber website, and seen that the SeaPro/Assault is available at 5 metres and 2 metres beam, for £3485 (dont know if this is plus vat or not) bare boat.. direct price. I could spend £2K on a second hand engine and £1K on a trailer. Could I get 4 on seats in this 5 metre?
Anyone suggest a different Rib for my cash?
Would value some constructive advice...
thanks in advance
Just been down a similar route
I had a new 3.8 honda at the start of the season (which fetched good money on Ebay)
I wanted a 4.8 ribcraft got guzumped on one and missed another, they fetch strong money .
I ended up with a 4.9 valiant which iam very pleased with . The boat isn't as well made as a ribcraft but is perfectly ok . the more positive part of the Valiant was that its rated for up 80hp . Mine has a suzuki DF70 which has plenty of power with all the family on board and is very economical . I think had I ended up with a Ribcraft with a 50 on I may have found it a bit sluggish with all the family and thier kit on board . The A frame is removable on my valiant so it would fit in a garage but you need a long garage for boat and trailer overall at least 6 metres.
I think any boat in this size is going to be a little cramped with 4 people on board but we manage ok and have been out with 5 on board no problem . Its when you want to stop and do some fishing etc that you have limited space if you have bags and cooler box etc on board .
Old 07 September 2006, 23:24   #4
RIBnet supporter

Help with buying decison

thanks Ian...
How do you manage with 4 in your Valiant when it gets a little choppy? What seating layout do you have?
Old 07 September 2006, 23:27   #5
RIBnet supporter

help with buying decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
Do You Want New AND CAN YOU STRETCH TO 5,2 METRES
Maybe 5.2 metres..my garage is long, but sitting on a trailer it will be a struggle. I would consider second hand.
Old 07 September 2006, 23:41   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
A new rib, must fit into my garage first and foremost, so beam no wider than 2.3 metres and overall length no more than 5 metres.
A couple of basic questions-Is that bare hull or are you including the outboard and trailer in the 5m overall length?

If you've got £6.5k I'd suggest looking at a complete package that's ready for the water. The odds and bits come to a lot more than you expect when you fit a boat out.You'll get more boat for your money than if you buy it all separately.

If not a complete package I'd personally try and get a 2nd-hand good sound hull on a trailer if you can find one suitable and a much newer engine. Hull failure is rare-engine failure isn't.You'll also get the right trailer without having to mess around. There's very little for an idiot to do wrong on a hull that isn't very obvious at a glance and an awful lot that can be abused on an engine that won't show up til it becomes a headache.

Is there room for 4 in a 4.7m Searider? (Ha! Got there 1st!)

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2006, 23:48   #7

Quote:
thanks Ian...
How do you manage with 4 in your Valiant when it gets a little choppy? What seating layout do you have?
When I got the boat it had a jockey console that seats 2 with a dive bottle rack behind it . I have converted the rack to a single josckey seat untill I find a proper jockey seat with storage under it . I did nearly buy one with the 2 person console like mine and a bench (sofa ) seat across the stern so that would seat 4 .
This size of boat needs the seats to in line , its not wide enough for side by side jockeys etc like you would find on say a5.5m and above .

Its got quite a good V hull and handles rough water quite well for a smaller boat , the sort of chop that nearly kills you in the Honda 3.8 is hardly noticable . Its a very dry ride and as I guess with any boat a reasonable load of 3 or 4 people makes the ride better in a chop . Like your Honda it can feel quite flighty with just one person in .
Old 07 September 2006, 23:52   #8
RIBnet supporter

help with buying decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2
A couple of basic questions-Is that bare hull or are you including the outboard and trailer in the 5m overall length?

If you've got £6.5k I'd suggest looking at a complete package that's ready for the water. The odds and bits come to a lot more than you expect when you fit a boat out.You'll get more boat for your money than if you buy it all separately.

If not a complete package I'd personally try and get a 2nd-hand good sound hull on a trailer if you can find one suitable and a much newer engine. Hull failure is rare-engine failure isn't.You'll also get the right trailer without having to mess around. There's very little for an idiot to do wrong on a hull that isn't very obvious at a glance and an awful lot that can be abused on an engine that won't show up til it becomes a headache.

Is there room for 4 in a 4.7m Searider? (Ha! Got there 1st!)
The boat and engine can be 5m .. the trailer draw bar can take up a little more room as my garage narrows at the end... so a draw bar can be accomodated...
most of the complete pacakge prices I have seen come to around £8.5 K, so a second hand set up maybe the way to go... just wondered if anyone had experience of that Humber 5m Sea Pro rib..?
Thanks for the reply..
Old 07 September 2006, 23:56   #9
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
most of the complete pacakge prices I have seen come to around £8.5 K, so a second hand set up maybe the way to go... just wondered if anyone had experience of that Humber 5m Sea Pro rib..?
Thanks for the reply..
Sorry-should have said complete 2nd hand package.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2006, 00:01   #10

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Have you considered getting a trailer with a hinged/folding draw bar.This will knock 1M off the overall length.
Old 08 September 2006, 00:03   #11

Quote:
The boat and engine can be 5m .. the trailer draw bar can take up a little more room as my garage narrows at the end... so a draw bar can be accomodated...
Thanks for the reply..
I looked at a humber 5m and liked it very much . I don't think you would get any of these boats (valiant ,ribcraft, or humber ) for 8.5 k ready to go brand new with engine and trailer unless prices have dropped a lot for the end of season . Finding any of them second hand takes effort they are in damand and fetch good prices . 5 year old boats in good condition are all over 6k if they are any good .

I saw my valiant offered new as a package minus trailer with cheaper engine for about 9k add a trailer and more seating plus the engine you would prefer and its more like 12k
Old 08 September 2006, 01:48   #12
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes
I looked at a humber 5m and liked it very much . I don't think you would get any of these boats (valiant ,ribcraft, or humber ) for 8.5 k ready to go brand new with engine and trailer unless prices have dropped a lot for the end of season . Finding any of them second hand takes effort they are in damand and fetch good prices . 5 year old boats in good condition are all over 6k if they are any good .

I saw my valiant offered new as a package minus trailer with cheaper engine for about 9k add a trailer and more seating plus the engine you would prefer and its more like 12k
thanks Ian..
I was also wondering if anyone had views on XS ribs?
They seem on a similar price to Ribcraft..
Old 08 September 2006, 11:20   #13

Town: Greenock area
Boat name: Joni Chimpo
Make: Narwhall
Engine: 50hp Mariner
Send a message via MSN to GaryD
I have my 4.5M Narwhal RIB for sale on boatsandoutboards that might suit your purposes...

Click Here

« Keyhaven | Top | Dry suits »