Click Here to Login

Old 22 April 2014, 17:15   #1

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Help : stories from Rnd Anglesey for Mac pls

EVERYONE on the cruise PLEASE HELP

Please PM me with any interesting stories of navigation, breakdown, fueling, help, points of interest, your story of the day. I need to pull together 2000 words for PBR and we can get RA2014 for Macmillan in the mag!!!

Donations for Round Anglesey Macmillan 2014 https://www.justgiving.com/Rib-net/?..._page_creation
Old 22 April 2014, 17:31   #2

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
EVERYONE on the cruise PLEASE HELP

Please PM me with any interesting stories of navigation, breakdown, fueling, help, points of interest, your story of the day. I need to pull together 2000 words for PBR and we can get RA2014 for Macmillan in the mag!!!

Donations for Round Anglesey Macmillan 2014 https://www.justgiving.com/Rib-net/?..._page_creation
we we're the 1st to launch at Ty Calch so we could take photos of everyone else launching, we did our best to get ahead of everyone a couple of times to get some more photos although I guess a few saw that as a challenge to keep ahead, we started of with a crew of two, me n Andrew, but we collected two passengers from Mick Telcowilliam at Beaumaris for the run to Conwy, we had a good blast back across to Puffin Island, but then waited for Jeff & Sandy (Jeff Hutcheon) to catch up as they'd been left behind on the fuel pontoon, and after a quick trip to Moelfre to inspect progress with the new lifeboat station we continued on round Anglesey, with a coffee break at Sth Stack and a Mars Bar break at Pilots Cove, we we're the last to be recovered back at Ty Calch, another great day out with RIBnet
Old 22 April 2014, 17:38   #3

That's great, stories of waiting, helping others, problems etc

Also any equipment that was good bad or ugly, unexpected happenings etc

Eg I bought a 2nd radio, icom waterproof handheld that week, good job as our main aerial snapped off by puffin!

Old 22 April 2014, 17:55   #4

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
That's great, stories of waiting, helping others, problems etc

Also any equipment that was good bad or ugly, unexpected happenings etc

Eg I bought a 2nd radio, icom waterproof handheld that week, good job as our main aerial snapped off by puffin!

My Icom IC-M91D DSC hand-held, which was shoulder-mounted, went overboard off Puffin when the catch detached from both the radio and my drysuit. The radio floated, displayed a 'Water Detected' notification and was retrieved safely. The Leader of the Opposition managed to save the catch from disappearing down the elephant tube...
Old 22 April 2014, 18:23   #5

Town: Caernarfon
Boat name: Bay Bar Dos
Make: Tornado
Engine: Honda 130
MMSI: 235092178
Yes I noticed my engine over revving a couple of times during the 'sprint' from y Felinhelli supped restriction to the bridges. I had two passengers with me, Beth, who is toms sister (tom is the nice young lad who launches at Ty calch) and colum who came over from Ireland for the trip. Unfortunately I decided to make my way back to Ty calch but arranged a lift for my two passengers with Chris Caton and dean (Rocknrolla) I made it back to Ty calch with a couple more high revs and decided it had to be the prop bushes as the engine was running fine. Taking the prop into castle marine tomorrow. I didn't want to carry on in case I had to be towed, even though dean offered to tow if we would have needed it.....
Old 22 April 2014, 18:26   #6

Great stuff people! All makes an interesting read, thank you. Keep them coming, anything greatly received..... Views, beginners, advanced, how you felt etc

Old 22 April 2014, 18:42   #7

Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Andy B (part of M.Thornton's team) fell into the water after loosing balance on the pontoon in Conwyn marina and had to be fished out by my dad and several others.

My silvercrest camera (go pro copy) fell off its bracket mounted to the A-Frame (puffin to conwyn) and I thought it had gone forever but luckily it had dropped into the engine splash well.
Old 22 April 2014, 18:45   #8

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcowilliam View Post
even though dean offered to tow if we would have needed it.....
I can just picture that. A 50 knot tow round the island behind RocknRolla. Be like a donut ride on speed - obviously displaying the appropriate day shapes
Old 22 April 2014, 18:56   #9

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
Came with three ribs from Blackpool set off early to avoid traffic but had a clear run through both ways. Highlight of the trip was Andy Blundell falling off the pontoon at Conwy whilst trying to head off the bow of the 8.1 Scorpion. He got soaked to the skin and spent the whole time in the laundry room drying his clothes.the sight of him in him undies will haunt me forever.He came out just in
Time to miss the last pint and spent the rest of the trip trying to kick-start his
Mobile back into life. I was in my little wooden 4m rib and the two big Scorpions
cruised serenely on whilst I tried my best to keep up ,but whilst they only hit one
Wave in three I felt every bl**dy one,I felt like I had just been over the jumps at
Aintree !! Holyhead took a while to appear and was glad to have a stretch and toilet break ( it's an age thing) great run down south side and into the welcoming arms of Chris Seddon. Smashing do at night ,put the world to rights with Deano and off kip. Weather perfect this year well sorted Mr Smith
Old 22 April 2014, 19:57   #10

Town: brierley hill
Boat name: rocknrolla
Make: osprey
Engine: outboard
What a wkd,steady away when we set of to conwy,when we came out the big stinger with the 300 verado shot off, i thought that will do nicely and me and mick shot after him, maintained pole in the ruff it was fkn hard work at times, on the flat the stinger had 50yds good crk,then one of hiz cushions blew off he stpt went back to find it,me and mick jogged on at WOT all the way backnight was snd i think the paddy and toms sister enjoyed the trip nice to meet new pepsMike thornton and hiz BP boys the world could be put t rights if Mike would donate the ammoI cnt remember is name with the swb gailforce 90 grey rib
Old 22 April 2014, 20:04   #11

Town: Telford
Make: Ribeye s650
Engine: Yam 200
Having purchased my boat in November we had only just run in the new engine with just 7 hours on the clock. In fact that 7 hours was the only rib experience any of us had. I had four on board and the idea of a "cruise" round Anglesey sounded great. I pictured flat water sunshine and a bit of sightseeing. It started off that way heading up the straights and into Conwy. Quick drink and a sandwich at the marina and thought this is a piece if cake. Having left the safety of Conwy and heading past Puffin island things seemed very different. It had gone from cruise to endurance. I never seen any of the North side if the island as we were being battered from all directions and soaked from head to toe and was just concentrating on the sea ahead.We we're on our own most of the way and relying on the Garmin 750s on guiding us to Holyhead which we found very difficult as the touch screen was too tricky to operate whilst been thrown around in the waves. We were all relieved to make it to Holyhead. The South side of the island was a pleasure and we arrived back at Chris's having gained some valuable experience and with a sense of achievement. Although scary at times I enjoyed every minute and look forward to next year!
Old 22 April 2014, 20:27   #12

Make: Ribeye
Quote:
Originally Posted by whackywoody View Post
Andy B (part of M.Thornton's team) fell into the water after loosing balance on the pontoon in Conwyn marina and had to be fished out by my dad and several others.

My silvercrest camera (go pro copy) fell off its bracket mounted to the A-Frame (puffin to conwyn) and I thought it had gone forever but luckily it had dropped into the engine splash well.
Yes I was one at Conwy marina to help get him out. I didn't film it but the official photographer did. Poor lad.
Old 22 April 2014, 21:03   #13

Keep em coming!!

I think Andy may well end up in the mag as well as the drink....

Cheers for your experience Wrekin Dave, its things like the touch screen difficulty in the rough that are only found by trial and error, good point made!

Anyone else's experience of kit, good or bad. Cheap or expensive?
Old 07 June 2014, 06:43   #14

Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Engine: Yamaha F150
Just got this months PBR magazine and read the round Anglesey review by the Excellent Humber Paul.

Well done Paul you should give yourself a pat on the back as it was an excellent write up with great Pics (including one of me). Bet Tim and Deano are also chuffed with there special mentions as well (great stuff)

Let's hope the extra publicity will attract more boats for Anglesey 2015 and break the record again as well as raising more funds for a nominated charity.

Thanks again for everybody else involved in making this event happen as I really enjoyed it and will look forward to taking part in future.
Old 08 June 2014, 13:16   #15

Thought the story would have been edited to death but it's all there. Really chuffed... Though no pic of me! :-(
Old 08 June 2014, 16:28   #16

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Thought the story would have been edited to death but it's all there. Really chuffed... Though no pic of me! :-(

Maybe page 3 in next month a

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2014, 16:34   #17

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Anyone willing to scan a copy of the story? Not sure about copyright but I can never find the mags I want down the local shop

https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2014, 16:40   #18

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHall View Post
Anyone willing to scan a copy of the story? Not sure about copyright but I can never find the mags I want down the local shop

Have it delivered to your door direct it's cheaper you don't miss and editions then

B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2014, 18:17   #19
RMS

Town: Pudsey
Boat name: Aquaticus / HATOWIL
Make: Ribquest and Zodiac
Engine: Suzuki 140 and 90
Quote:
Nice one HP. Career as a journo as a fall back? List of names next to the opening picture was inaccurate though. Someone had Nugent there; which he was in March on the earlier trip!!
Old 08 June 2014, 18:46   #20

I struggled in the end for who was there, but it gives a good flavour.

Thanks for kind words, just need to find a way of being paid to do it!!