Old 22 August 2009, 18:36   #1

Town: Chipstead
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Shakespeare
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard
Help re tube repair

My RIB was unfortunately damaged/punctured on the lower area of the bow tub, due to an oversize boat on the adjacent mooring - tilted props (nightmare).

Can anyone recommend a very good repair business, ideally in the the South/South East?

I really dp want to ensure the repair is handled as well as possible.

William
Old 22 August 2009, 18:38   #2

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Paul Tilley at tidel, Henshaws, ribraff and ribshop to name a few.
All post on here.
Old 22 August 2009, 18:40   #3
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
All of the above come highly recommended by people on here.
Old 22 August 2009, 19:55   #4

Town: Dartmouth
There's a rib here on the pontoon in Dartmouth called blue marlin.... Is that you?
Old 22 August 2009, 20:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribraff View Post
There's a rib here on the pontoon in Dartmouth called blue marlin.... Is that you?
Is the bow tube flat?
Old 22 August 2009, 20:08   #6

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
All of the above come highly recommended by people on here.
Sorry to disagree but not all come highly recomended you only have to do a search on Olmec,It is Ribraff that has made his own reputation and yes i often remind poeple there are some poeple who havent got a short memory.If poeple ask for advice its only right to point them to make there own opion and where to look
Old 22 August 2009, 20:10   #7
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterR View Post
Sorry to disagree but not all come highly recomended you only have to do a search on Olmec,It is Ribraff that has made his own reputation and yes i often remind poeple there are some poeple who havent got a short memory.If poeple ask for advice its only right to point them to make there own opion and where to look
Not to sure about the history there Peter so I'll bow out here
Old 22 August 2009, 20:14   #8

Quote:
So how many good jobs does Ed have to do before you give him a break?
Old 22 August 2009, 20:21   #9

Town: Plymouth
Make: Avon SR4,AX500
Engine: Yam 50 2 Stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterr View Post
sorry to disagree but not all come highly recomended you only have to do a search on olmec,it is ribraff that has made his own reputation and yes i often remind poeple there are some poeple who havent got a short memory.if poeple ask for advice its only right to point them to make there own opion and where to look
yawn
Old 23 August 2009, 07:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo500 View Post
yawn
Hello Gibbo,Thats very easy for you to say and i dare say you probably have nt even read in the previous posts going back several years.Have a look if you can be bothered.I wonder if your Yawning will be for another reason .I dont want to start anything just replying to a post you put .Its obvious we have different veiws i just wonder what yours are based on.
Old 23 August 2009, 07:57   #11

I've read your posts Peter I've already said Ed's.
Many other manufacturers have had tube failures as well.
Ed has had his problems and is trying to make a living like everyone else. If you've had problems then fair enough but most posts mentioning Ed are followed by you reminding everyone of what happened in the past.
It really is getting a bit long in the tooth now.
Old 23 August 2009, 21:41   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
I've read your posts Peter I've already said Ed's.
Many other manufacturers have had tube failures as well.
Ed has had his problems and is trying to make a living like everyone else. If you've had problems then fair enough but most posts mentioning Ed are followed by you reminding everyone of what happened in the past.
It really is getting a bit long in the tooth now.
OK,I am sorry you feel its a bit long in the tooth.My reason for posting isnt actually to remind everyone but in response to one person who may ask a specific question.You dont have to respond or even read the posts .Its like the TV you do have an on /off button.Yes i agree other manufactures have had failures.Perhaps you could tell me which other companies in retubing ribs refused to honour warenties and went into liquidation to solve the isues and imeadiately carried on with business.several business have been thousands of pounds out of pocket .The rib industry is a small cottage industry.And business practice such as these have done it a lot of harm .We are all trying to make a living just some do it with more integrity.Regards Peter
Old 23 August 2009, 23:11   #13

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Engine: 150 optimax
Quote:
Hello Gibbo,Thats very easy for you to say and i dare say you probably have nt even read in the previous posts going back several years.Have a look if you can be bothered.I wonder if your Yawning will be for another reason .I dont want to start anything just replying to a post you put .Its obvious we have different veiws i just wonder what yours are based on.
i have had a quote from ed to supply tubes for my hull so being new to ribs and not knowing ed, i have read ALL of the previous posts going back several years and the posts regarding the end of olmec tubeing, it certainly looks like a personal vendetta against ed from my perspective.
i have also spoken to a few people ed has done work for since he started work on his own and all have been happy with thier tubes.
i have still not decided yet, but when the tubes are on the hull i will post pics here for all to see
Old 24 August 2009, 05:47   #14

Quote:
OK,I am sorry you feel its a bit long in the tooth.My reason for posting isnt actually to remind everyone but in response to one person who may ask a specific question.You dont have to respond or even read the posts .Its like the TV you do have an on /off button.Yes i agree other manufactures have had failures.Perhaps you could tell me which other companies in retubing ribs refused to honour warenties and went into liquidation to solve the isues and imeadiately carried on with business.several business have been thousands of pounds out of pocket .The rib industry is a small cottage industry.And business practice such as these have done it a lot of harm .We are all trying to make a living just some do it with more integrity.Regards Peter
A few people have had problems with other manufacturers and not just tubes, I won't name names. Some companies are still running now but won't honour warranties.
The RIB industry is a small cottage industry and Ed realises this and has proved this on more than one occasion to me.
I agree that people should be made aware of the likes of Jack Bowran who consistently knock out rubbish tubes but Ed has set up on his own and does work all over the world now so he must be doing something right?
Old 24 August 2009, 05:50   #15

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
My RIB was unfortunately damaged/punctured on the lower area of the bow tub, due to an oversize boat on the adjacent mooring - tilted props (nightmare).

Can anyone recommend a very good repair business, ideally in the the South/South East?

I really dp want to ensure the repair is handled as well as possible.

William
Not sure where chipstead is but Kieron at Rib-shop may be able to help.

http://www.rib-shop.co.uk/

based on the upper hamble...
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 08:29   #16

Quote:
PeterR,
Without resorting to confrontation it easy for me to say and fortunately other members of this forum agree so it is not just my individual opinion that you constantly remind others.

Being local to Dartmouth i know a few people that have had work carried out by Ed and all of them are more than pleased with the work and i must confess i am no expert but have seen a few of Ed's boats and in my opinion they look a top job.

Yes you obviously had an issue but the reason i yawned was because posts that mention Ed are guaranteed to have a predictable response from you.
Old 24 August 2009, 09:22   #17

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
Peter i know that you felt you were shafted by ed but that is a different story . surely if a guy committs an offence he is locked up in the nick when he comes out he deserves a second chance to prove himself .in eds case he lost his company and is now trying to get back on his feet surely he deserves this chance , if he screws up again hang him but be fair and give him a chance .
Old 24 August 2009, 09:31   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul tilley View Post
Peter i know that you felt you were shafted by ed but that is a different story . surely if a guy committs an offence he is locked up in the nick when he comes out he deserves a second chance to prove himself .in eds case he lost his company and is now trying to get back on his feet surely he deserves this chance , if he screws up again hang him but be fair and give him a chance .
Well said that man.
Old 24 August 2009, 09:48   #19

Well i happen to be at home today chilling out and have had a chance to read your posts which come over to me as you have all given it a lot of thought brfore writing and have been bothered to go back and read posts.If Paul Tilley can wish him luck so can I .So good luck Edd in your new business.Regards Peter
Old 24 August 2009, 10:16   #20