Click Here to Login

Old 18 June 2006, 11:03   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Help! Photo of Humber console interior?

I wonder if somebody who has a Humber with an Extreme Jockey console fitted, (as per attached pic) would be kind enough to please take a photo of the battery fitting arrangement inside the console for me, and also where the master switch is located.

In the other thread I posted, Wavelength indicated that the battery on mine should be in the front of the console whereas mine is behind the fuel tank. I thought it was a dumb idea when I saw it and I still think it is a dumb idea, but I assumed it had always been like that.

Particularly interested in anything that shows how the battery is secured and where the main battery leads are run through the console to the engine.

Many thanks

Stephen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fram.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	20239  
Old 18 June 2006, 19:07   #2

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
I wonder if somebody who has a Humber with an Extreme Jockey console fitted, (as per attached pic) would be kind enough to please take a photo of the battery fitting arrangement inside the console for me, and also where the master switch is located.

In the other thread I posted, Wavelength indicated that the battery on mine should be in the front of the console whereas mine is behind the fuel tank. I thought it was a dumb idea when I saw it and I still think it is a dumb idea, but I assumed it had always been like that.

Particularly interested in anything that shows how the battery is secured and where the main battery leads are run through the console to the engine.

Many thanks

Stephen

Stephen,

I have a Destroyer 5.3m with what seems to be a similar design console. There is a plastic door in the front of it The battery is just inside the door on the port side, tucked in to the wider bit of the console just forward of where your left knee is when you sit. It's 'held' in by some strips of some sort of fibre material (presumably acid proof) with a cross section something like a straightened out S. which goes over a sort of 'ledge' or 'plinth' round the bottom of the battery (not all batteries seem to have this). These strips a 'held' with self tapping screws. There's one strip along the length of the battery inboard side and another across the forward end. With the battery hard up against the console outboard and aft, it can't move.

Except that on mine the self tappers on the front fixing have pulled out of the fibreglass (found the battery on its side once after my son had had a particularly boisterous time). Larger screws should fix that.

The cables go through a hole in the after end of this compartment, disappear alongside the fuel tank and reappear in the wiring/steering loom bundle coming out of the starboard after end of the console, where they do in your picture. (At least, I think that's where they go)

There wasn't an isolator switch fitted by Humber, which I always thought strange and a tad worrying (visions of the engine tilting all by itself while on mooring, trailer, etc.) I've fitted one on the starboard side of the compartment, across from the battery, on a little plywood bracket. The original standard wiring for instruments was a bit of a birds nest. Now, with fishfinder, DSC radio and GPS fitted, there's a really big birds nest in there. Tried to tidy it all up a bit with cable ties and tape etc., but difficult with one hand, and if you use both, you can't see what you're doing.

Pity really, because that's the only 'dry' stowage in the console and there's very little usable space left now.

So, a million words when what you wanted was a simple picture. I can get you one, but not at the moment. The boat's on a mooring in the West Highlands. It's raining. I guess like it does where you are too. If it stops I take the pic. In the meantime, I hope the words work.

Cheers Tony
Old 18 June 2006, 22:04   #3

Thanks Tony

If you are able to get a pic that would be great but I think I know what you mean. I haven't been to look in mine again because it's raining here too... and its dark!
Old 18 June 2006, 22:10   #4

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
Hello Stephen,

Really nice boats those Destroyers - was out in the swell today, at what seems to be the hulls sweet spot of around 30knots (where it's most soft in chop) trying to catch the waverley leaving the haven. Unfortunately, the rain came down (which was painful - yes, I know Geko helmets!!), and I didn't have the waterproof cam with me, so we turned back.

I agree on the battery - not exactly something I'd want right next to the fuel tank to be honest

In my console, the battery is up towards the front of the console - there are two stainless brackets that fold around and join together, and on top of that, there is a plastic thing (!!) bolted to the bottom that the bottom lip of the battery slides into. I gather, by the general build of the console that Humber intend the thing to survive a small explosion (it's a bit solid)..... making the hole for the vhf used up 8 jigsaw blades, and 4 drill bits - the pic shows just after the hole was cut before the thing was tidied up.

The boat didn't come with an isolator, but I'm sure if I had asked for it, it would have been done. When I first had the boat, there were only the nav lights and bilge pump as extras, so I just left everything connected all the time. When I put all the extras on, I then fitted a 2 way battery isolator just in front of the battery on the stbd side of the console - it fits with about 2mm to spare on each side. Although I don't have dual battery setup, if I need to do this, a battery can be placed at the aft end of the boat for example. I don't have a pic of this, but will get one during the week if you want?

Suppose I better get back to this video editting malarky - got over 4hrs of video from the bullet cam yesterday in the 74miles we covered

-Alex
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	console1.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	20243   Click image for larger version

Name:	console2.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	20244   Click image for larger version

Name:	console3.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	20245  
Old 18 June 2006, 23:15   #5

Thanks Alex, just the job

Which console is that on yours?

Unrelated question: how fast does a Destroyer go with 140 on the blunt end?
Old 19 June 2006, 07:20   #6

It's the 'deluxe' console - same as the one in your original pic, but in white instead.

I've had 43knots out of her on a good day, normally, we max out around 42 though. The majority of my travelling time is spent between 20 and 25knots, with the odd exception to around 30knots.

-Alex
Old 19 June 2006, 10:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Brown
It's the 'deluxe' console - same as the one in your original pic, but in white instead.

-Alex
Golly Alex,

You've less room in there than I've got. It seems battery placement is ongoing development. Same sort of birds nest though. :-)

Cheers, Tony
Old 19 June 2006, 11:35   #8

Quote:

I've had 43knots out of her on a good day, normally, we max out around 42 though. The majority of my travelling time is spent between 20 and 25knots, with the odd exception to around 30knots.

-Alex
Thanks, thought it might have been as the interior view looked familiar but wasn't sure!

What pitch prop are you running? I'm on a 17 at the moment but have a 19 on order. Wondering if I should have gone to a 21 but also worried that I might need a bigger eggwhisk on the back for that. Bit hard to scrounge props on a trial basis in this part of the world
Old 19 June 2006, 19:22   #9

Quote:
Thanks Tony

If you are able to get a pic that would be great but I think I know what you mean. I haven't been to look in mine again because it's raining here too... and its dark!
It's stopped raining. Here are the pics. I think the fixing on Alex's boat seems more substantial.

Cheers Tony
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	battery2.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	20256   Click image for larger version

Name:	cables.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	20257   Click image for larger version

Name:	fixing.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	20258   Click image for larger version

Name:	master.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	20259   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Console640.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	20260  

Old 20 June 2006, 09:07   #10

Many thanks again Tony, just what I need

Will have a look next weekend (at the moment it is dark when I leave for work in the morning and dark when I get home so I only get to see the boat in headlights.... )

cheers

Stephen
Old 20 June 2006, 13:44   #11

Quote:
Many thanks again Tony, just what I need

Will have a look next weekend (at the moment it is dark when I leave for work in the morning and dark when I get home so I only get to see the boat in headlights.... )

cheers

Stephen
No problem Stephen. Ah! The things we have to put up with, living in such beautiful, wild and isolated places. Almost midsummers day here - and the inshore waters forecast gives force 9 for tomorrow :-(

regards, Tony
Old 21 June 2006, 17:51   #12

Quote:
What pitch prop are you running? I'm on a 17 at the moment but have a 19 on order. Wondering if I should have gone to a 21 but also worried that I might need a bigger eggwhisk on the back for that. Bit hard to scrounge props on a trial basis in this part of the world
I am currently running a 21" 'High Rake' stainless prop from Steel Developments. Although it didn't really increase the top end speed, it's a bit more resilient, and it doesn't chip from general small debris on the river like the ali prop that came with the engine was starting to.

The wiring when I had the boat was pretty tidy - I messed it all up for about 3 months, and then sorted it all out with proper length wires and zip tied it all together to make it solid after that. There isn't a great deal of room in there, purely because the battery is a bit on the big side - it may be large, but I think it's worth it though.

Try and avoid having to do anything that requires removal of the console if you can - although the thing does come off the deck, it takes about 200 small wedges to lift it up to avoid damaging the deck.... the console is sealed down with sikaflex (in my case anyway), and then the screws go through that into the deck to hold it solid. I had to use the telehandler from work to lift the console cos it weighs a fair amount.

-Alex
Old 21 June 2006, 20:26   #13

Quote:
Try and avoid having to do anything that requires removal of the console if you can - although the thing does come off the deck, it takes about 200 small wedges to lift it up to avoid damaging the deck.... the console is sealed down with sikaflex (in my case anyway), and then the screws go through that into the deck to hold it solid. I had to use the telehandler from work to lift the console cos it weighs a fair amount.

-Alex
Good point, I had sort of assumed my console was just screwed down but maybe it is glued as well. I hope to just add one or two jockeys behind the existing one (maybe a double along the centreline), shove the battery in that (probably a much bigger battery for backup, maybe a 110Ah Td5 Discovery battery I think) and re-route the cables as the bundle of cables etc etc running across the deck is irritating me every time I trip over it

Never mind the sun starts heading back in the right direction as of tomorrow Needs to as well: Brrrrrrrr