Old 07 August 2009, 09:19   #1

Town: Phuket
Boat name: N/A
Make: Grand
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 25hp 2 stroke
Help choosing/ sourcing next RIB... 5m - 6.5m

I'd really appreciate any suggestions on my next RIB...

I'm looking to get something between 5m-6.5m... mainly for leisure use but with a view to operating a small island tour business in the future.

I'm sharing a small boatshed with a mate of mine (building hovercraft), on the coast here (East coast Phuket - Phangnga bay) and am currently running a small 3.6m Grand RIB out of it. The little RIB's been a great starter for me and got me hooked but now it's time to step up to something bigger and faster.

It's pretty tidal here, so I'm looking to keep weight to a minimum - using a hand-winch in the shed to drag the RIB/ hovercraft back up the sand/ ramp. Budget around £10,000 to £15,000 max.

2nd hand RIBs are virtually non-existent here and prices are really steep so I've resigned myself to importing - anything that will fit into a 20' container will help me keep the budget down.

Engine wise we've got local servicing for Yamaha, Mercury and Honda... but any advice on makes/ models appreciated. I've got to say my 25hp 2 stroke Yamaha's been a little gem to me - but I've got no experience with anything bigger. I really need a useable range of 50 miles+.

Similarly if anyone's got a suitable RIB for sale let me know...

Many thanks in advance guys...