Old 02 February 2010, 13:16   #1

Length: 10m +
Help choosing RIB

Looking at buying a rib .I need to cover Pool to Brighton and Solent . I was thinking a Pacific 22 with diesel with a new built cuddy . Am I wrong or on the right type of boat ?
Old 02 February 2010, 14:14   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless View Post
Looking at buying a rib .I need to cover Pool to Brighton and Solent . I was thinking a Pacific 22 with diesel with a new built cuddy . Am I wrong or on the right type of boat ?
You're going to have to tell people what you are planning to do with it. How important speed is, fuel efficiency, robustness etc.
Old 02 February 2010, 16:57   #3

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
i'm with polwart on this one, but your'e probaly right for diesel, not just because there fuel efficent but because of the fuel availability in that area, i would look for something a bit newer, them old boats will go through anything but at a cost of comfort and considering the distance you're looking at doing you'd want a bit of comfort
Old 02 February 2010, 17:27   #4

Town: Douglas
Length: no boat
Depending on how many 'readies' you have available I would be looking at a 7.5m to 8.5m more modern diesel powered RIB. There are quit a few second-hand ones listed on the usual sites at the moment. Make sure you try before you buy!
Old 03 February 2010, 14:23   #5

Thank you for the feed back . I need it to get me to work . I dont want it to be a slouch reliable and good economy . Good sea boat if I get caught out.
Old 04 February 2010, 11:39   #6

Town: Hythe
Boat name: To be confirmed
Make: None
Length: no boat
Engine: None
My experience with a pac22 is that, yes they do go through anything, but being semi displacement, they do sit quite low in the water, weight ensures that there is no massively quick acceleration.

But that said, great boats, pretty much indestructible.... i mean, we haven't broken it yet and it's seen everything the solent can throw at it.
Old 04 February 2010, 14:18   #7

So If not a Pacific 22 and on a budget what would you go for ?
Old 04 February 2010, 15:33   #8
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I'm not sure that I really know what it is you want to do. Can you tell us a bit more about your plans?

Are you planning to use this for regular commuting? Or something else? What sort of budget have you got in mind?
Old 04 February 2010, 17:38   #9

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F206882

Is this the sort of thing you are looking at, depending on condition it's a good boat. still will be in 10 years time as well.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2010, 18:15   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F206882

Is this the sort of thing you are looking at, depending on condition it's a good boat. still will be in 10 years time as well.
That's a serious piece of kit....
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2010, 19:22   #11

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
removable cuddy

Seems a really good idea. There really seems to be a lack of cuddy/cabin options for ribs. other threads seem to discuss some fast fisher designs or redbay wraparounds, but that looks cool.
Old 04 February 2010, 20:46   #12
Redbay supporter

Town: onn de moov
Boat name: bote
Make: kevvin
Length: 4m +
Engine: jett dryve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent-Salted View Post
and it's seen everything the solent can throw at it.

fuk mee. dats awesum. thers sum massiv waivlets inn de sowlint too bee shewer too bee shewer sow ther iz

i recummend a qwin qwari
Old 04 February 2010, 20:59   #13
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
yew trubblemakin nobbur! ov cowers de soylint iz dangrus itts on de nekst Dangrus Cayich an doynt teyul ribnobburs too bye a Queer-quarry, de boss iss sayd too be ann Imp of Saytan Yew me an me an ayl fower uf us must premote Redbay iff owynly too fkk off de oyther ribnobburs

thyrs a nyce 7.4 Canopiss, sry. Canopee in Ribs for Sale, myte sute hymm nycely
Old 05 February 2010, 07:36   #14

Town: Coventry
Boat name: Eco XR24
Make: Eco-Marine
Length: 7m +
New or secondhand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless View Post
Wireless, are you looking for new or secondhand? We promote our Eco XR24 for its fuel efficiency and a customer recently asked us for an inboard diesel layout with a cuddy. We've predicted the fuel burn for various speeds. There isn't a picture of that layout on our website www.eco-marine.co.uk, but we have put one on this thread: http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...console&page=2

We're interested in everyone's views on cuddys or cabins on ribs around 7.5m - there are obviously several compromises to balance. Parker seem to have done a very neat job with the cabin on their 630, but it looks as though its too low to stand in and has a hatch over the helmsman's head - presumably so he can stand? Not sure how this would work in rough water. http://www.parkerribs.com/?page=models&id=2
Old 05 February 2010, 07:51   #15

that boats been updated a bit but my best advise is go and try it out on a rough day, cause you're going to get a lot of them travelling along the bits of coast you're talking about, you still haven't said what you're up to but if it's just getting from port to port every day i would look at a different form of transport, probaly motorbike
Old 05 February 2010, 08:24   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoXR24 View Post
Wireless, are you looking for new or secondhand? We promote our Eco XR24 for its fuel efficiency and a customer recently asked us for an inboard diesel layout with a cuddy. We've predicted the fuel burn for various speeds. There isn't a picture of that layout on our website www.eco-marine.co.uk, but we have put one on this thread: http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...console&page=2

We're interested in everyone's views on cuddys or cabins on ribs around 7.5m - there are obviously several compromises to balance. Parker seem to have done a very neat job with the cabin on their 630, but it looks as though its too low to stand in and has a hatch over the helmsman's head - presumably so he can stand? Not sure how this would work in rough water. http://www.parkerribs.com/?page=models&id=2
have you guys actually built a cabin/cuddy boat yet? i'm almost answering that myself by saying i'm sure we would have seen a pic or two by now if you had, my advise to you would be to work out how heavy that mockup cuddy will weigh and put the same amount of weight in one of your boats and try it, i've had some dealings with an older version of your boat and i dont think you have the displacement in that hull to take it, i would love you to prove me wrong, but it's a costly mistake to sell one one the back of a picture to find it don't work, i'm not knocking you, i'm just trying to give you the benefit of my experience, i think both andre and myself and ribtec for that matter (as i worked for them in the early days of cabin ribs) will tell you you can't build one of these completely on a computer, trialing and sometimes error is still a huge part of getting it right
Old 05 February 2010, 14:59   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
yew trubblemakin nobbur! ov cowers de soylint iz dangrus itts on de nekst Dangrus Cayich an doynt teyul ribnobburs too bye a Queer-quarry, de boss iss sayd too be ann Imp of Saytan Yew me an me an ayl fower uf us must premote Redbay iff owynly too fkk off de oyther ribnobburs

thyrs a nyce 7.4 Canopiss, sry. Canopee in Ribs for Sale, myte sute hymm nycely
Ill do that then ?

Regular commuting I can get a cuddy built in GRP etc. Second hand or a rib that needs doing up or even a new engine if needs be . To get round the solent on the ferries is exspensive .Last year I had to take the car on and off the IOW for a week £200.00 for the privelage. Solent roads in the summer are a nightmare.Yes I have looked at a motor bike but my tools wont fit on it. Yes I will try some ribs before deciding. Whats the ribs Seastart use ? something along those lines maybe? I dont know? Thank you for all the comments
Old 05 February 2010, 15:34   #18

the ribs that sea start have started life originally as ribtec's but they have altered them beyond recognition and now have there own moulds for what they have (hamble that is) and do there own fitouts
Old 05 February 2010, 17:31   #19

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Engine: 150 optimax
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-3-metre-ribt...item23053a7927
seen this for sale before,
Old 05 February 2010, 18:33   #20