RIBnet supporter

Town: Poole
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Help Altering my Steering Wheel?

After a lot of rough weather ribbing last year, I found I had a shoulder ache on my left shoulder. I couldn't work out what caused it at the time, but have come to the conclusion that I was straining the shoulder a bit when steering and seated (on Ullman suspension seats).
It is a real pain to move the seats, as any closer to the console and longer legged helms (ie my son) will then struggle to fit!
Ideally I'd like to have an adjustable steering wheel so I can make it closer to the seat, but haven't found any systems that allow "in-out" adjustment of the wheel (the steering already allows the angle of the wheel to be changed).
One solution I have thought of is to remove just the wheel and add an HDPE or nylon spacer between the wheel and the boss.
The Boss is 130mm diameter, and I can buy an HDPE rod 130mm diameter x 100mm long which should do the job.
To make the spacer fit the boss, ideally I'd need to machine-out an indent 70mm diameter x 10mm deep.
I don't have a lathe available to do this (I think it's a lathe that I'd need).
Does anyone here have the tools available that might be able to help, or suggest the sort of company I might approach to do this?
Thanks
Trevor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rib Steering Wheel.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	117707   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150614_152113.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	117708  
Old 18 January 2017, 16:25   #2

Town: Forfar
Make: DSB Zephyr
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard 40hp Yamaha
Hi Trevor i expect an engineering company would machine a locating recess and a hole through for the steering shaft and how are you going to attatch the steering wheel when the boss is on to the steering shaft?? or does the shaft pull up though
I remember when I worked down that way we used a company in Thatchem called matrex, they were very help full and not to bad on price
Stewart
Old 18 January 2017, 17:07   #3
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamsbairn View Post
How are you going to attach the steering wheel when the boss is on to the steering shaft?
Stewart
Hi Stewart
The wheel itself is currently attached to the boss with 6 bolts that are screwed straight into the boss.
I'm intending drilling (or have drilled) the six holes at the correct spacing to allow longer bolts to go through both the wheel holes and the "extension boss" bit and screw straight them straight into the original boss again.

The recess that I'm hoping to have in the extension will hopefully be a snugg(ish) fit over bit sticking out in the centre of the boss, which will ensure there is no (or little) sheer forces on the wheel mounting bolts.
Old 18 January 2017, 17:11   #4

Town: Forfar
Make: DSB Zephyr
Engine: outboard 40hp Yamaha
Hi TRevor i thonk that the bolts going right through would be ok even with a bigger than meant boss hole, but then an engineering company will machine it to what ever size you give them even take the bits to them and show them
Stewart
Old 18 January 2017, 19:31   #5

Town: Stotfold
Boat name: kimozo 2
Make: Ribtec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 115 efi 4 st
Steering wheel

Hi Trevor, I am sure this is something biff may be able to help with as suggested take wheel etc with you wherever you go as pattern.
Old 19 January 2017, 15:37   #6

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Can you source a deeper-dished wheel? Should be doable, I'd think (though I also haven't looked.)

If you go with your plan, aluminum would look better than HDPE, would likely last longer (HDPE can get brittle in sunlight) and wouldn't take a whole lot more to machine. You could get it anodized in some nifty color as well.

jky
Old 19 January 2017, 16:06   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Why not go to the scrap yard find a motor with an extenderble colum and get one made to fit your spindle out of a plastic material look on direct plastics site which details different plastics and there applications then it's just a lever to extend and retract the wheel.
Old 19 January 2017, 19:35   #8
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Can you source a deeper-dished wheel? Should be doable, I'd think (though I also haven't looked.)
jky
Thanks jky
I'd hoped I could just get a wheel with a deeper dish - but I'm looking to bring the wheel forward by maybe 100mm, and this sort of spec isn't on most steering wheel details!
Old 19 January 2017, 19:42   #9

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Should be possible to get a custom wheel made, but your spacer idea may be a lot cheaper, and certainly easier. You may want to consider using only 4 of the screws, and put some sort of stuff in the remaining 2 so as to minimize shear force on the screws.
Old 19 January 2017, 19:44   #10
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Why not go to the scrap yard find a motor with an extenderble colum and get one made to fit your spindle out of a plastic material look on direct plastics site which details different plastics and there applications then it's just a lever to extend and retract the wheel.
Thanks Jeff.
This was my "Plan A" - but the adjustable bit of the steering I have makes adding an extendable column not really an easy option.

I am using the "direct plastic" site tho (I think I found them following your recommendation it in a previous thread) and may well end up using Acetal.

I'm hoping to make a chipboard "dummy" boss this weekend using 18mm chipboard slices to see how far I need the wheel to come forward, and to see if the principle of the idea will work.

(If there are reports of a boat accident on the Solent this Sunday, where a boat is found with no steering wheel you'll know it didn't work!)
Old 19 January 2017, 21:01   #11

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Engine: 250hp HO
Rex Marine Billet Steering Hubs and Wheel Adapters: Automotive Performance Products, Boat & Marine Parts & Hardware
Old 20 January 2017, 11:36   #12

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
Thanks Jeff.
This was my "Plan A" - but the adjustable bit of the steering I have makes adding an extendable column not really an easy option.

I am using the "direct plastic" site tho (I think I found them following your recommendation it in a previous thread) and may well end up using Acetal.

I'm hoping to make a chipboard "dummy" boss this weekend using 18mm chipboard slices to see how far I need the wheel to come forward, and to see if the principle of the idea will work.

(If there are reports of a boat accident on the Solent this Sunday, where a boat is found with no steering wheel you'll know it didn't work!)
any good trevor

Adjustable Extension Steering Wheel Hub Adapter Spacer Boss kit 45MM-70MM Black | eBay
Old 20 January 2017, 11:50   #13
RIBnet supporter

Thanks Jeff.
Brilliant!
That is exactly what I'm looking for in principle. From looking at the website it seems that car steering wheel billets (the proper term (I've just discovered) for the bit I'm looking for) are 85mm diameter, whereas the boat one is 130mm diameter.
However, I might be able to use the adjustable car one, and it might be easier to make an adapter to allow it to fit my steering wheel and centre.
Thanks.
Trev
Old 20 January 2017, 11:53   #14

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
I've used them before. First class service. Parts ordered by phone at 11:00 PM Monday GMT, arrived at 03:00 PM Wednesday via UPS (NOT USPS!).
Old 20 January 2017, 12:13   #15

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
You'll be very lucky if this cures the problem Trevor IMO...this is why setting out seat height..distance..ect in relation of Steering wheel whilst coupled with Good Throttle (Handed) position,giving stability is paramount...(and individual) with suitable balance and grip...it also takes ALOT of time and working out to get it just right...even with a New Setup where everything is movable and adjustable..
A lot of Boats Ive seen are totally set up wrong....something people end up adapting THEMSELVES too.

The trouble is...Long Demanding Passeges in the Rough Stuff will soon let you if your Rig is set up properly...for you!
I hope it does sort it...although I reckon you'll have to bite the Bullet and move/adjust the seats at the very least.
Either way good luck with the mods.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 13:07   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
Thanks Jeff.
Brilliant!
That is exactly what I'm looking for in principle. From looking at the website it seems that car steering wheel billets (the proper term (I've just discovered) for the bit I'm looking for) are 85mm diameter, whereas the boat one is 130mm diameter.
However, I might be able to use the adjustable car one, and it might be easier to make an adapter to allow it to fit my steering wheel and centre.
Thanks.
Trev
trev it does say contact them for other sizes worth a shot for £20 and if it doesnt sort your problem out no biggy in terms of lay out.
EDIT that particular one is in china but the blue one supplied from london i guess you would need two adapter plates making to fit
cheers jeff