Old 02 April 2017, 17:13   #1

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Helmets with Comms

Evening all .. was thinking about getting a couple of Gecko open face helmets with inbuilt comms .. I haven't got a budget as such but wouldnt like to break the bank if possible but, thought some of you guys might suggest what you prefer to use ? or what other options might be available .. TIA
Old 02 April 2017, 18:50   #2

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Firstly what is the advantage for you. The best to go is for cordless and in the U.K. Look up Neptune waterproofs . Their system is based on the ICOM WIFI system and I have tried it and is satisfactory . Neptune waterproof will be exhibiting at Seawork in June. It is not a cheap system and the price will also depend on how many helmets on board. If you already have the Gecko helmets then ok to retro fit.
Old 02 April 2017, 19:43   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
For the sort of money that Neptune charge I'd expect it to be a lot better than satisfactory!

I'd be looking at one of the comms sets designed for motorbike helmets. They're pretty cheap and waterproofish.
Old 02 April 2017, 20:09   #4

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
I don't know if there are any legalities involved but one option could be a motorcycle rider to pillion or rider to rider set up. There seems to be a reasonable choice at various budgets.
Old 02 April 2017, 20:10   #5

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Crossed in the ether.
Old 02 April 2017, 20:24   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I'd be looking at one of the comms sets designed for motorbike helmets. They're pretty cheap and waterproofish.
That will let you hear the crew (which may or may not be a good thing). I'm guessing it might (?) also be possible to hear the VHF but probably not transmit...
Old 02 April 2017, 20:58   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
That will let you hear the crew (which may or may not be a good thing). I'm guessing it might (?) also be possible to hear the VHF but probably not transmit...
Yes. A lot of the bike kits have an AUX feed that can be run from the EXT on the VHF or Audio. I guess it's all about the Bluetooth now - just remember everyone onboard can hear you!!!
Old 02 April 2017, 21:33   #8

Sorry fellas .. just meant crew to crew set up .. Ive been out of the loop that long I didnt know VHF was assumed or option
Old 02 April 2017, 22:21   #9

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Hi man. You ok? I just use the basic motorbike kit works ok.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2017, 13:19   #10

Not Bad fella cheers ! ... is it only Gecko that make a marine helmet with communication system built in ? (although I know its removeable) wouldnt a third party system not fit well inside the helmet ?
Old 03 April 2017, 15:02   #11

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Helmets with Comms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Not Bad fella cheers ! ... is it only Gecko that make a marine helmet with communication system built in ? (although I know its removeable) wouldnt a third party system not fit well inside the helmet ?

Sorry don't know the market that well to answer you but I would think someone will. I know that Jeff Stevens research the helmet thing last year and bought a different make.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2017, 16:40   #12

Town: Montrose
Boat name: Ruby Blue
Make: Honwave & SW4800cc
Engine: Mariner 15 & 60efi
RIBase
Hi. I have a Scala rider system that worked very well on my bike, wireless bike to bike or pillion, plus FM radio. All with box and instructions.
. No longer have a bike and do not need them on my boats.
PM if interested and I'll think on a price.
Old 03 April 2017, 17:01   #13

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Well I can tell you about the motor bike helmet stuff cos I'm just done fitting another system this week. You need to decide whether you want to be independent of your passenger or wired to them. If there's more than one crew you need to speak to then the game changes a bit. The simplest and probably the most reliable is wired since you don't need to charge anything as you would if bluetooth. Each of you would need to plug in though to connect your helmet.

I'm a fan of Autocom stuff and a simple 2 person wired system can be put together quite cheaply if you buy secondhand. 200-300 quid if you buy top of the range new. I don't and I've had no failed stuff - ebay is your friend. It's easy to add on a bluetooth adapter which will allow you to speak on your phone and it auto answers for you so no need to stop or mess about to take a call. There is a VOX system built in which you can set so that the noise of the boat and the wind doesn't trigger the system and come through to your helmet. Your music can also be fed in for your pleasure, of course!

It does have a connector for linking to an external radio for transmitting to another bike and this could be set up to transmit through your VHF if you wanted to do that. The system I've installed this week includes a link to a CB radio so I don't see it being any different to that. It is a bit of a faff though getting it all tied together.

I know nothing of the Gecko helmet but in a bike installation the speakers fit into a recess in the helmet lining and the mike is on a boom for an open helmet or wired to the mouth area of a closed helmet. A short tail out of the helmet has a water resistant connector on it to link to the main unit.

Food for thought for you.
Old 03 April 2017, 19:56   #14

Ok thanx so far guys... I'd be looking for a wireless system so I can communicate with my wing man, so just need two units, part of our time we'd be moving about quite a bit which is the reason for that so wiring would be a total faff ... don't necessarily need an aux input ... mind you ... if he annoyed me .. I could pipe some Englebert into his helmet
Old 04 April 2017, 12:28   #15

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
The modern Autocom stuff is bluetooth based but also retains the ability to hard wire if required so you could be mobile and all the previous stuff still applies.

IMO whatever stuff you choose you do need a VOX facility or all the wind noise at the mike, engine noise and sea noise is going to be fed directly to your ears.... man, that'll be loud!