Old 06 April 2007, 05:18   #11
Town: Far west!
Boat name: Vigilant
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
its all a matter of personal choice and personal risk assesment.
Other factors inslude will a non boating helmet foul the lifejacket if it inflates and push your head forward compromising the airway? And is the helmet heavy to possibly cause neck injury? All that is a matter of personal choice and risk evaluation so I would never say yes wear that or this - thats your choice. What i would say is that I use my non boating helmet, to keep my head warm and to carry the visor, and have been using fast small boats for more years than I care to remember all over the world-and I am still in one piece! (oo-er thats tempting fate isnt it!)
Exactly - personal risk assessment, based on experience and gathered facts.

Gecko helmets are a different proposition - very little inherant weight in themselves, and the new inflatable interior versions are brilliant. They originate more from the canoe / swiftwater rescue arena than the Neptune type helmets used for comms - and of course, the heavier the helmet the greater the verterbaeic compression on the neck especially in rough water.

No, "bucketing" isn't an urban myth - but has been quoted as the reason that the RNLI and others moved away from the Neptune comms helmet, when in fact neck strain over prolonged use periods is far higher up the risk list. Technology moves on - lighter comms systems have allowed the old Neptune to be pased by - we still use some on the main boat, but then you don't get much shock loading on the deck of a salvage tug! (unless it's a bad day on the Abeille Flandre of course.....)

havener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2007, 01:39   #12
Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Both the Gecko and the Comunica helmets are designed as marine helmets.
Designed and built to with stand and protect in the marine world.

I have both and like them both.

The MK10 Gecko is great and the blow up bladder means it will fit most "adult" heads with ease and in comfort.

I wear mine for extented periods, 4-5 hours at a time.
Also can be fitted with comms so making them very versitile.

The Comunica is fitted like a motor cycle helmet which means you buy it for the size of your head.
Again very comfy and can also be fitted with comms.

Bucketing is a very real problem just ask the experts, like the team at Comunica, they aslo make Aviation helmets and that where bucketing was really first discovered..being ejected for a fighter jet is even worse then going into the water at speed!!!!

Another nice thing is that it keeps the warmth in as well so great for those who don't just fair weather boat

I was on a PWC instructors course a few weeks back on the weather was horrid, the helmets came into their own on those three days!!

All the best

Jon Brooks VSMM. Marine Mammal Medic, PBI, SRC Assessor,PWC Instructor.
Jon Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote