Old 06 August 2007, 22:37   #1

Town: Sunshine Coast, Aus.
Boat name: Rubber Dolly
Make: Ribtec 585
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury F115 Efi
Hello from Russ & Rubber Dolly.

Hi All

Been lurking on here a while whilst I looked round for a suitable boat so I though I’d make myself known.

I’ve been playing on the water for many years in hovercraft – my father actually manufactures Flying Fish Hovercraft in Dover, Kent – so as you can imagine, hovers are ‘my thing’. But following a few days out on my friends 6.5m Tornado this year, I’ve been bitten by the ribbing bug. We’ve had some great days out, have hopped across to Calais, run down the coast at 40 knots by moonlight and just had a blast in the thing.

So last week, I managed to find the boat I’d been looking for and now have a Ribtec 585 in the driveway with a 115 Merc 4 stroke on the back. Meet ‘Rubber Dolly’ She looked pretty big in the driveway, much smaller in the water, tiny when I parked her next to Jon Brooks’ hoooge Mickie Dee Bee!

Launched her into Ramsgate today with a friend alongside, ex navy, ex lifeboat and employed in port control. Kind of confidence building that! Had a brilliant afternoon, ran up to Herne Bay, out to the wind farms for a look and then cruised back in nice conditions with a bit of posing throw in at Margate and Broadstairs harbours, Steve showing me where the sand bars and hazards are. She cruises along quite happily at 27-28 knots, seeming pretty quiet after the hovers – I’ve even got a decent stereo in her.

Guys and gals, I’m smitten. Definitely a top toy, and got loads of plans of what we’re going to do with her – Nelson (the mate with the Tornado) is pretty hardcore with his boating (and hovering, LOL!) and we’re considering more trips to Calais (including my stag weekend on Bank Holiday weekend), the Thames and Boulogne. Its just great to actually go somewhere, I’m not into going round in circles! Ramsgate Week next week too.

Anyway, thought I’d say hi, and look forward to seeing some of you at cruises and events.

Regards

Russ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dolly.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	29053  
Old 06 August 2007, 22:44   #2

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Hey Russ,

Glad you got her in the water and went for a raz!
Will look out for the new toy tomorrow as I am in the harbour all day.

Have you hauled her out again or is she still a float?

If your down be sure to say hi.

Good luck and happy ribbing.
Old 06 August 2007, 23:22   #3

Town: Sunshine Coast, Aus.
Boat name: Rubber Dolly
Make: Ribtec 585
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury F115 Efi
Hi Jon

Lance was kind enough to let me use one of his moorings, so she's still in. Planning to go for a play tomorrow as well, so i'll try to find you down the harbour.

Russ