Old 02 February 2011, 21:38   #1

Town: Truro
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50
Hello from new member

Just joined and thought I would say hello. Have been reading this site for years and finally decided now was a good time to pick up a bargin and buy a boat. Armed with all the great info on this site I went ahead and brought a 2007 Avon 4m adventure with snipe trailer and Mercury 50HP EFI (4 stroke) with 25 hours logged for £5K. seemed like a good deal to me and the boat is in new condition.

Took it out for the first time last week in Teignmouth which unfortunately resulted in a comedy of errors.

firstly trying to launch by myself at spring low tide was almost impossible - had to drive the Land Rover into the sea to find deep water which stressed me out to begin with.

Got her in the water and threw the anchor over to hold her whilst I put the car away & the immobiliser packed in and the Landie wouldnt start! Thankfully the tide was still going out! Waited for 10 mins for immobiliser to reset (which it did) by which time the boat was high and dry!

Put the car away in the car park and waited for the tide to turn. When it finally flooded I put the engine down and slowey drove out of the harbour! Great I thought finally out to sea in my new boat. On route I wondered why there was so much water around my feet? Not to bother I thought that will drain away later. Got out to sea and opened her up - much to my surprise the engine revs got up and the bow headed for the sky! I thought I was going to fall over board! Slowed back down and realised the hull & transom bungs where in my pocket!!!!! Opened the bow locker and discovered the hull was toppers with water. Not a great start.

There was so much water in the hull that whilst towing my boat throught the town centre water was running out of the hull for nearly 5 mins - all over the road.

So to cap it all off I have learnt some valuable lessons which hopefully wont be repeated again. I throughly enjoyed my day irrespective of the issues and cannot wait to go again. Might take my wife next time to help me launch though!

Regards

Mark
Old 02 February 2011, 21:55   #2

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Typical Devonian then really

Hi mark, welcome to Ribnet Look on the bright side next time will be better!
Old 02 February 2011, 21:57   #3

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Great post Mark! And welcome to Ribnet
Old 02 February 2011, 22:03   #4

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Plenty of time to get an RYA Powerboat course in before the summer
Old 02 February 2011, 22:27   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warrington/Anglesey
Make: Menai 480SR.
Engine: Tohatsoooooooo 70hp
Welcome to ribnet Mark.

You better start looking for a replacment rear crossmember for the landie It's rusting away as I type
yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2011, 22:42   #6

Hi guys and thanks for the warm welcome

I have to admit to a few very embarrassing things which will make you laugh all the more!

1 - I have a RYA level 2 power boat ticket

2 - Spent 13 years in the Royal Navy

3 - MCA certified STCW 95 class 2

Goes to show - all the gear and no idea!!!!

The Landie is so rusty I dont think there is any real metal left worth rusting :-(
I guess it wont be long before a request goes into HQ (wife) for a new one...... Watch this space..

Looking forward to sharing more of my doomed exploits in the future.

Regards

Mark
Old 02 February 2011, 22:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonmark35 View Post
Spent 13 years in the Royal Navy
It all makes sense now
Old 02 February 2011, 23:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
It all makes sense now
You are an excellent judge of character sir LOL
Old 03 February 2011, 07:31   #9

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Superb post and welcome.
Old 03 February 2011, 10:06   #10

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Welcome to ribnet Mark

great post by the way..hope you take some pictures next time your out ..my parents used to live just out side Teignmouth for a number of years in a little place called Holcombe i keep saying i,m going back one day with the rib from what i can remember its a great part of the coast to explore

tony t
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2011, 10:20   #11

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
We all make mistakes. Welcome to the club. Mine was getting a transit back to front and blithely sailing over a notorious reef. Luckily the tide was up
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2011, 13:52   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
We all make mistakes. Welcome to the club. Mine was getting a transit back to front and blithely sailing over a notorious reef. Luckily the tide was up
Which one was that then?
Old 03 February 2011, 16:03   #13

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Brinchetais Ledge (aka Brimtides) a long time ago....
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2011, 20:07   #14

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Engine: Mercury 50
Hi Mark and welcome also....

Dont worry about the mistakes...you should know what they say in the MN...'He who has never made a f**k up has never made anything'...

Been there also, I let the first rib i ever owned roll off the back of the trailer as i was reversing down the slipway....unfortunately i was about 6 meters shy of the water when it slid off! ...

Intrigued by your profession though, rigs or ships?

Simon
Old 03 February 2011, 21:23   #15

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Hi Mark
As others have said welome. I was brought up at Shaldon, so know the Teign & area well, though rib out of Dartmouth / Brixham now.

I've run an A400 for the last 4 years, though now investing in a Ribcraft 5.3. I too had a problem with trim & the bow going skyward - solved by fitting a a set of doelfins to the engine (mine was a Merc 40). Maybe worth considering if it's a recurring problem - what your layout?
Old 03 February 2011, 22:04   #16

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Hi Mark. My Sis lives in Dawlish and rows for Teignmouth RC. I've promised to head-up that way with the boat one day. Might bump into you.
Old 04 February 2011, 23:29   #17

Hi guys

Thanks very much for the really warm welcome. Im looking forward to having a laugh with you all....

Just to reply in response;

Simon - spent my time in the RN on ships (Feraless, Ocean etc as MEA) and left to work with Shell on rigs (operations). Its great as it has the best parts of the Navy yet 2 on 3 off routine and none of the bad bits ;-)

lakelandterrier - I love the A400 - its got the side by side seating with 1 bow seat. I'm surprised by its performance with the 50 hp. Quite energetic to say the least - probably a little too much. I see alot of people on here slate the little boat and after using SR's at sea I can see why people like them but I wanted something with better seating options for us and more comfort. Its only used for getting to beachs to swim from so the shallow hull suits me just fine. Not intending to cross the channel with it (yet anyway :-)). I might use it to get across from Stubbington to Cowes one day. Kayaked it once so doing it with a motor should be quicker! If you see me down teignmouth floundering - come and have a laugh with me - you will know its me when you see a rib half sinking with no bungs in it!!!!

Mollers

My Sis lives in Falmouth! Was born in Helston and used to dive with the RN from Falmouth boats (near Trago). Love to get out in the bay off Pendennis area and around St Mawes to see how the other half still live. Whereabouts in penryn do you live - is the big Volvo dealer still down there? Or is that going back to far? Loved St Just and all round there - plan on moving to St Just soon - that is if the bank manager will give me the money too :-(

Cheers guys

Mark
Old 05 February 2011, 11:31   #18

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonmark35 View Post
Mollers

My Sis lives in Falmouth! Was born in Helston and used to dive with the RN from Falmouth boats (near Trago). Love to get out in the bay off Pendennis area and around St Mawes to see how the other half still live. Whereabouts in penryn do you live - is the big Volvo dealer still down there? Or is that going back to far? Loved St Just and all round there - plan on moving to St Just soon - that is if the bank manager will give me the money too :-(

We were brought up at the top of Green Lane, Penryn. We live out past the reservoirs on the way to Mawnan now. We used to enjoy giving Helston School a good hammering on the rugby field. Colin Laity was in my year group. He went on to represent Wales.
Kessels Volvo where taken over by Riders and moved to the old Merc dealership in Truro, next to the TA station.
You'll need a very generous bank manager to buy anything worth having in the St. Just area. The St. Mawes effect has put pay to that.
Old 05 February 2011, 16:36   #19

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Mark where did you launch - Polly Steps??

I found my A400 ideal for getting to beaches with a young family, but they're getting older & more adventurous & I needed better (ie. jockey seats). I did find
it much easier to drive the A400 standing!

It sounds like you got a good deal if you picked yours up for £5K - I sold mine with c.120 hours for considerably more with a 40HP Merc on the back.

Have good season

Bob
Old 05 February 2011, 18:16   #20

[QUOTE=Mollers;387594] We were brought up at the top of Green Lane, Penryn. We live out past the reservoirs on the way to Mawnan now. We used to enjoy giving Helston School a good hammering on the rugby field. Colin Laity was in my year group. He went on to represent Wales.
Kessels Volvo where taken over by Riders and moved to the old Merc dealership in Truro, next to the TA station.
You'll need a very generous bank manager to buy anything worth having in the St. Just area. The St. Mawes effect has put pay to that. [/QUOTE

So moving to St Just maybe a bit out of my league then :-( I went to Truro Boys School - top of the hill up from the police station (Trewenick Lane if memory serves well). Kessels daughter was in my class (6th form). Despite that - my Dad never got a good deal from them!!!! Whats Falmouth docks like now - has to have been over 10 years since I was last down there - that rich guy was buying all the land up and converting to water front appartments - De-saverias or something like that?

Bob - I treid to launch at the concreate slip in the boat yard (to the left of the deep water key). I always thought that was full range but the day I went to use it - it dried out! I went over to the sandy slip by the dive school. I see they have put up signs saying private land etc but as far as I was aware it was still fine to launch from there. What do you think? Is there anywhere else I should try for launching around the area? Where do you go from?
You are right about standing up driving the A400. Only problem is that bow keeps heading for the sky! I'm thinking about putting some weight up front like the anchor and some spare fuel, sarnies, dog etc. If that does not work then I will look at your suggestion of dolefins. I am made up with the price - poor chap selling it was a builder and as we all know that trade is not booming at present for some plus his kids no longer wanted to use her etc. I looked around at what I could get for my money and that just jumped above the rest shes like new - or was before I got my hands on her. If I ever move up a size then hopefully she will return some good money but at the moment I love it. I know its not in the same league as some of the other monsters on here but then again it seems very frugal on the juice which means I can save more for my house in St Just one day ;-). Keep an eye out for me - I was going to say its blue but I think they all are - arn't they? Mine will be attached to the broken down rusty old land rover half submerged in the sea blocking the slipway! Oh - did you have an A frame on yours - can you recommend them or a model?

Cheers

Mark