Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
[QUOTE=Devonmark35;387636]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
So moving to St Just maybe a bit out of my league then :-( I went to Truro Boys School - top of the hill up from the police station (Trewenick Lane if memory serves well). Kessels daughter was in my class (6th form). Despite that - my Dad never got a good deal from them!!!! Whats Falmouth docks like now - has to have been over 10 years since I was last down there - that rich guy was buying all the land up and converting to water front appartments - De-saverias or something like that?
Who knows, it maybe well within your league.

I think I know the school you mean, we have one in the 5th year and another in the 6th at Truro School.

De Savery is long gone, the docks are doing OK under Welsh ownership. They're currently finalising plans for Falmouth's 4th marina.
Old 05 February 2011, 19:38   #22

Town: Truro
Make: Avon
Engine: 50
[QUOTE=Mollers;387639]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonmark35 View Post

Who knows, it maybe well within your league.

I think I know the school you mean, we have one in the 5th year and another in the 6th at Truro School.

De Savery is long gone, the docks are doing OK under Welsh ownership. They're currently finalising plans for Falmouth's 4th marina.
Mollers - fantastic news there - I loved the old school - had a great time - is Trewinard Court & Pentreive still going, do they board or day? I wonder if Dr Gainey is still there (Biology) ask you children if hes still around - infamous - never slept in his class thats was for sure!

I still get the old boys news letter each qtr. Have loads of mates who joined the Navy with me from Truro school - hope your kids enjoy it there - I had the time of my life but just didnt realise it at the time whilst serving my regular detention slot in the library.........
Old 05 February 2011, 21:13   #23

[QUOTE=Devonmark35;387663]
Quote:

Mollers - fantastic news there - I loved the old school - had a great time - is Trewinard Court & Pentreive still going, do they board or day? I wonder if Dr Gainey is still there (Biology)
This is heading for a chop and chucking into the Bilges.

Dr. Paul Gainey was before our kid's time. However, I think he was a Penryn lad.
I'm assuming that your from a Naval family, boarding etc. Our's are day pupils.
Doc. Flood and Graham Baines may've been there in your day.
Old 05 February 2011, 21:18   #24
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
This would have been in Sir Richard Bolitho's Year, IIRC?
Old 05 February 2011, 21:27   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
This would have been in Sir Richard Bolitho's Year, IIRC?
Old 05 February 2011, 22:11   #26

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Mark,
If you have a rear benchseat with fuel tank & battery inside, you will be very stern heavy - I caculated on mine - engine 90kg battery 20Kg, fuel tank 30kg, me 85KG all the weight in the boat was in the aft 1/3 and getting on to the plane was very hairy also no performance between6-15 knots!

Fitting doelfins for £20 is lots better than putting lots of ballast up front -& by the way Mrs T objected to be referred to as ballast (didn't help marital harmony) !! and the bow seat is not the safest place at any speed.

Haven't launched a rib at Teignmouth - although Polly Steps at the west bend of the Docks is the usual place - I was more used to launching a Laser from Shaldon beach. my base is now Dartmouth

I would consider trailing around to brixham & launching from there - good but steep slip - aviod 1hr +/- low water, but it gets yuo stright to berry head / Torbay.

I had a A-frame spec' as part of the build, handy for nav lights etc but I'm sure a local S/S fabricator would do you one

Hope to see you onthe water one day

Bob
Old 05 February 2011, 22:29   #27
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
try it with the hull void sealed/dry and play around with the trim before you go adding dolefins - you may not need them.
Old 05 February 2011, 23:07   #28

Town: Truro
Make: Avon
Engine: 50
[QUOTE=Mollers;387679]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonmark35 View Post

This is heading for a chop and chucking into the Bilges.

Dr. Paul Gainey was before our kid's time. However, I think he was a Penryn lad.
Mollers - Mr Baines was my house master in TC! Small world indeed. He loved his rugby I seem to remember - excellent house master - never told my parents when he found my stash of beers and "magazines"!!!!

Bob - Where abouts in Dartmouth - ex BRNC member here ;-) I was thinking about sailing round that way for a trip down memory lane. Is the slip next to the ferry (Dartmouth side) still useable? Spent many an hour down at Dartmouth arms, Seale & FBI drinking when i should have been revising for my finals......
You raised a good point re ballast up front - I think as Polwart suggested - I should try the boat without the free surface water issue that dogged my last voyage LOL. That might help.... I will research the dolefins as you suggest. I will look out for you around Dittisham/Dartmouth - perhaps a few beers on the floater is in order (guessing its still there)

Mark