Boat name: Pacific22
Make: Halmatic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo Penta D6 350
MMSI: 235068452
Hello from a newbie

Alright there folks
My brother and I have recently bought an old 1995 Pacific 22 ex MOD Plod Rib

We got the boat from Babcock disposal services and it is in OK condition with the engine starting and running fine but the Stern Powr 103 leg is giving us a bit of a headache at the moment with both lift / trim rams being goosed, steering seals leaking and a couple of snapped stainless bolts
The place that we have found best for parts so far is an American Guy on Ebay called Ruddymart, he is far cheaper for bits than Lancing Marine even with import taxes so if anyone else has a Stern Powr leg I can recomend him.
We are also in need of a new A frame as the one fitted to the boat was twisted in transit coming back from Gib

One question I do have to anyone else out there with a Pacific 22, does the steering feel notchy when you turn the wheel? the engineer on the ship that I work on says its ok but from other ribs I have driven I have never felt this notchy feeling before.

When I used to work for the SFPA I was lucky enough to get to play with the Delta 6.8 m rib as seen here http://www.deltapower.co.uk/support/...ancecraft.html (scroll down to Scottish fisheries Protection Agency) the boat was great fun but very wet if not run flat out!!! and the Volvo engine's power delivery was all or nothing but it was still a hoot

Anyways I will blast off for now and will try get some more pics up as work progresses

Graeme
Old 12 September 2008, 21:11   #2

Town: Cowes
Boat name: if only you knew!
Make: n/a
Length: 10m +
Engine: large
hi graeme, from experience of both babcocks and the pac series - i would not hesitate to replace the steering cable and control box cables as part of a mini refit / change of ownership etc... the sooner you drop the stern drive off the back the better - have a good look at the UJ as well especially knuckle wear from engine running whilst trimmed excessively... brilliant boats, heavy and reliable but expect to budget a couple of grand to get it back to servicable / reasonable condition - if you were in poole id offer help but glasgow is too far for a southern softy like me.... :-)
Old 12 September 2008, 21:37   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Graeme hi and welcome to Ribnet.

There is a shed full of information on Pacific 22s on here. Put the kettle on and be prepared to spend an evening searching the threads.

To start you off though the steering is hydraulic and not cable, so if it's notchy then you probably have air in the system and it just needs bleeding, although if the seals on the steering ram are leaking I would short that first with a new ram. Jimbo tried new seals in his P22 steering am but I don't think it worked because the ram is scored.

If your after the owners manual then there is one here:

http://www.polar-ribs.co.uk/

I have a couple of wheel bearings that would fit your trailer if your interested.

Pete
Old 12 September 2008, 22:05   #4

Town: Cowes
Boat name: if only you knew!
Make: n/a
Length: 10m +
Engine: large
graeme - pinot grigio said steering cable...i said steering..... i knew what i meant and im glad pete was on the ball and clearly very sober on a friday night........anyway im sure you get the jist of the conversation....90% of the pacs have the same problem and quite a few people have replaced with the teleflex seastar power assist unit...... but if its not that bad and just for private use then - try the local hose doctor guy and see if he can help....