Old 03 July 2014, 10:16   #1

Town: I.O.W.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F60
Hello all and advice choosing first RIB

Hi All,

Joined up a while ago as have been thinking of getting my first RIB and now I've done my PB2 course and am in a position to buy my first boat.
I have seen some tatty examples starting from about £5k but it would appear you would get something a fair bit better by spending a grand of 3 more. I realise my budget would have to cover boat, engine and trailer and I could possibly sacrifice the trailer to spend more of the budget on the boat and engine and put the boat on a mooring for the summer then get a trailer in a few months time.

Am looking for something around 5m and at least 50hp to do day trips around the Solent / Poole / Swanage so something that was more sea worthy rather than just out and out fast would appeal. A single jockey seat up front and a 2 seat jockey behind would be preferred too.

Browsing online. I've seen a 2006 Humber pro with a Mercury 90hp and Tornado 5.1 with an older 60hp Mercury which is less money. Would either of these be a suitable first boat?

Any other advice gratefully received.

Thanks in advance - Tim
Old 03 July 2014, 10:25   #2

Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
RIBase
I was in your position, looking to spend around £4-5k on a 5m boat originally, but soon realised a family of 4 were going to struggle fitting into that, and also the examples at the time were "tatty" in this price range. Consequently I went for a bigger boat and substantially more money - but it'll save me having to upgrade in the future!

I think both of those boats will be fine - but my advice is go for as big/new/fully loaded as you can afford while you can.

And then throw a constant stream of money at it while "tweaking" your set-up.

(Or dive, or ref rugby, or.......)
Ovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2014, 11:12   #3

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Hi Tim,

Welcome.

I'm two seasons into the ribbing experience so I remember being where you are.

I'm currently looking to upsize to a slightly bigger boat but the financial side of it is taking a while to come together, so in the mean time I have been keeping an eye on the market. It does seem to me that compared to when I was looking there is a real shortage of well maintained, if elderly, boats at the cira 5k pricepoint. We bought a 1993 Humber Attaque (basically the same boat now marketed as the Ocean Pro 5.3) with an 85hp Yam 2 stroke on. Despite being 20 years old, it was in decent nick and the last owner had done a load of work on it. I have not seen much of an equivalent quality in the last 12 months or so, gut I have seen quite a lot of shonky old crap.

On the subject of the stuff you're looking at: posting links here would be good, ribnetters are always keen to offer advice! If the Humber is an Ocean Pro than it's a solid choice; we've found it to be a very confidence inspiring hull. Some will tell you it's not a deep enough v, and that may be true (I don't have enough experience of others to comment) but we've been out in sme fairly challenging seas round Anglesey and it has always felt safe as houses. You just need to throttle back a bit earlier than the big boys.

While I agree to a certain extent with what Ovey says, I would also add that as a newb you may actually not be in the best position right now to decide on a boat you'll stick with for years. I know that for our part what we thought we wanted when we were originally looking isn't what we want now because we didn't really know what bit's of ribbing we were going to enjoy most or how we were actually going to use it (as opposed to how we thought we were going to use it). So there may be something to be said for buying something cheaper, getting a couple of seasons under your belt and then making a more substantial investment later when you have a little more experience.

Whatever you buy, it'll cost you twice as much to run as you think it will. That's just the nature of the beast!
Old 03 July 2014, 11:25   #4

Humber Ocean Pro here...

2006 Humber Ocean Pro, Mercury 90hp 4-stroke RIBs and Inflatable Boats for sale in Hampshire, South East :: Boats and Outboards

Tornado 5.1 here...

Tornado 5.1 RIBs and Inflatable Boats for sale in Isle Of Wight, South East :: Boats and Outboards
Old 03 July 2014, 11:37   #5

RIBase
Yeah, you could be right Clamchowder - I have used a lot of ribs so knew roughly what I was looking for in terms of layout, spec, hull shape, etc so didn't have to "experiment" first before getting the boat I wanted. There's nothing wrong with buying a cheaper/smaller boat then moving up. I guess it's a compromise, like most things.

And yup, running the boat costs you a lot more than you'd think!

Both of those boats look pretty good 6950rpm, my personal choice would be to go for the blue one as it just looks an all-round tidier boat, but I'd have a good look around both and quiz the owners/sellers about history, etc before the final choice.

Old 03 July 2014, 11:51   #6

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki DF175
I don't think you're going to find that Humber is still available. It was on the KB Drystack brokerage list for a while but isn't there any more. User 'Dry Run' on here will know.

Tornado may be a bit under engined? Also the trailer is unbraked so you need to be careful that it's appropriately rated. I'd be surprised if a well built boat like the tornado would come in under 750.
Old 03 July 2014, 11:58   #7

Clamchowder - you are right, have just checked the availability of the Humber and apparently there were lots of problems with it and it is no longer for sale.

Good point about the Tornado's trailer. Will carry on looking...
Old 03 July 2014, 14:05   #8

Length: 7m +
My only tip would be dont worry too much about age of the boat, condition is important especially of the hull, tubes and main fixtures, cosmetic stuff can be sorted out by yourself.

So if budget tight then go for something older which is mainly solid but may need some cosmetic work done, cleaning up, maybe new seats needed etc, wiring needing attention etc etc, rather than something that looks pretty but could be hiding a few major issues.

Perhaps I would call what your looking for with the budget 'something that looks a bit unloved'.

And of course if you find such a thing then spend good amount of time and look hard at all the electrics and re wire anything looking slightly dodgy.

My boat is 10 years old this year and still gets lots of nice comments and I think looks better than some 2 year old boats of the same type. Becuase ive done lots of cosmetic work, re wiring, new electronics etc and look after it.
Old 03 July 2014, 14:39   #9

RIBase
I agree. My boat is a 2003 model, but still looks pretty good - the previous owner looked after it fairly well on the hull/tubes/cosmetic side of things, and I always rinse it off, etc. and generally look after it. In fact, at the Witterings the other weekend there were a couple of hire RIBs that were much younger but looked far worse then mine!

I'm slowly going through and improving the other bits and pieces (with the odd bit of help from Ribnet members ) such as re-wiring, upgrading/adding plotter/VHF/stereo, etc, etc. and I'm sure I'll get there - hopefully before SWMBO realises I've spent the kids inheretance!!

I think, as long as the hull/tubes/engine are sound, the rest can be brought up to scratch in your own time as time/budget allows.

Old 03 July 2014, 14:42   #10

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamchowder View Post
Hi Tim,

Welcome.

I'm two seasons into the ribbing experience so I remember being where you are.

I'm currently looking to upsize to a slightly bigger boat but the financial side of it is taking a while to come together, so in the mean time I have been keeping an eye on the market. It does seem to me that compared to when I was looking there is a real shortage of well maintained, if elderly, boats at the cira 5k pricepoint. We bought a 1993 Humber Attaque (basically the same boat now marketed as the Ocean Pro 5.3) with an 85hp Yam 2 stroke on. Despite being 20 years old, it was in decent nick and the last owner had done a load of work on it. I have not seen much of an equivalent quality in the last 12 months or so, gut I have seen quite a lot of shonky old crap.

On the subject of the stuff you're looking at: posting links here would be good, ribnetters are always keen to offer advice! If the Humber is an Ocean Pro than it's a solid choice; we've found it to be a very confidence inspiring hull. Some will tell you it's not a deep enough v, and that may be true (I don't have enough experience of others to comment) but we've been out in sme fairly challenging seas round Anglesey and it has always felt safe as houses. You just need to throttle back a bit earlier than the big boys.

While I agree to a certain extent with what Ovey says, I would also add that as a newb you may actually not be in the best position right now to decide on a boat you'll stick with for years. I know that for our part what we thought we wanted when we were originally looking isn't what we want now because we didn't really know what bit's of ribbing we were going to enjoy most or how we were actually going to use it (as opposed to how we thought we were going to use it). So there may be something to be said for buying something cheaper, getting a couple of seasons under your belt and then making a more substantial investment later when you have a little more experience.

Whatever you buy, it'll cost you twice as much to run as you think it will. That's just the nature of the beast!

I wholeheartedly concur with everything Clam says above.

Although I have years of experience with boats I'd never owned a rib before last year and bought a modestly priced one with the intention of doing it up and then having time on the water amongst the bigger boats to see how they performed on the water, before deciding which larger rib to buy.

As things have turned out, I'm sooooooo happy with my 5.4 that I really can't imagine anything bigger giving me more smiles per mile and as I don't have to carry a family around on it I've decided to keep it rather than upgrade.

Happy hunting.
Old 03 July 2014, 16:52   #11

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
Nothing to do with me, and you might need to push your budget just a little, but a great looking suitable boat, and local....Look at this on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=231257033628

4.8M RIBCRAFT RIB WITH YAMAHA 60hp (4s) OUTBOARD

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Old 03 July 2014, 17:08   #12

Crusher - that does look like a very nice boat indeed and ticks a lot of boxes!
Old 03 July 2014, 17:28   #13

Yep have to agree for a 2001 model it looks like its been well cared for.
Old 03 July 2014, 18:05   #14

Town: weymouth
Boat name: Amelia
Make: Atlantic, Searider's
Engine: 225hp, 90hp
My searider for sale is not a bad option then
eBay item number 271539144118
Starting bid £4500
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1404410660.454390.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	96391 Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1404410636.938476.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	96389Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1404410651.851696.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	96390
Old 03 July 2014, 19:21   #15

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6950rpm View Post
Clamchowder - you are right, have just checked the availability of the Humber and apparently there were lots of problems with it and it is no longer for sale.

Good point about the Tornado's trailer. Will carry on looking...
Don't be in a rush to spend your hard earned, keep your options open & ask the advice of the collective BEFORE you buy, too many people turn here for help after the fact & by then it's too late. Chances are that when you do find a boat, it might already be "known" on here & you'll get some history. Also, don't be afraid to ask someone to give it a second lookover before you spend your cash, take your time
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2014, 21:27   #16

Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Like Rool 5
good advice on this post.

RE Tornado be wary of a secondhand Tornado if its over 10 years They have PVC Toobs and they start to go off particularly if they are orange and have been left in the Sun without a cover.

Good news is they can be bought with bad toobs and retoobed in Hypalon if the price is right

Personally I think a Searider 5.4 is an excellent starter boat, I don't think there is a better Sea keeping hull in that size they are built very strongly. Usually you can get a decent one for 5 k - beat the crap out of it for a couple of years and still get most of your money back. If you grow to love it ( should take about 10 Nautical miles) then you can throw money at it and make it look sooper!

Like Benjy's, Zubols ,Colcrete, Bushriders, Macmillans or Mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribworx retube.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	96396   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121103_123524.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	96399   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121103_123534.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	96401   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121103_123546.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	96402  
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2014, 21:35   #17

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
Nothing to do with me, and you might need to push your budget just a little, but a great looking suitable boat, and local....Look at this on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=231257033628

4.8M RIBCRAFT RIB WITH YAMAHA 60hp (4s) OUTBOARD

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
To me this is overpriced! See it at more like 7.5k !
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2014, 21:37   #18

That's interesting about Tornados.

This one has rather caught my eye...

Tornado - 5.3m RIB RIBs and Inflatable Boats for sale in Sussex, South East :: Boats and Outboards

Any opinions?
Old 03 July 2014, 21:47   #19

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6950rpm View Post
That's interesting about Tornados.

This one has rather caught my eye...

Tornado - 5.3m RIB RIBs and Inflatable Boats for sale in Sussex, South East :: Boats and Outboards

Any opinions?
Yep for the money I would be having a look at Bens SR Avon Searider 5.4m RIB Mercury 75hp Outboard Engine And Rollercoatser Trailer | eBay
Looks a better buy to me
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2014, 21:59   #20

Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
Yep for the money I would be having a look at Bens SR Avon Searider 5.4m RIB Mercury 75hp Outboard Engine And Rollercoatser Trailer | eBay
Looks a better buy to me
(Cor Blimey Nick we've agreed on something)+1 That's a 17 year old boat. and it looks like its been used as a work boat to me. Also don't forget if a Broker is selling boat he's looking for a piece of the action which generally doesn't come from adding any value
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib

« Gel coat | Top | Hats ? »