Old 16 November 2012, 13:00   #1

Town: Hamble
Make: Novamarine
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60
Heavy duty inflator/ deflator pump

Hi,
An invention I have devised requires the existence of a 12 volt air pump- not the air bed type- something a bit more serious, that I can lead to a spider of 4 pipes semi permanently connected into a RIBs 4 valves. I need at the flick of a switch to be able to inflate the tubes fairly rapidly- say a couple of minutes for a 5 metre boat from flat so it needs to be heftier than an airbed pump. Importantly I then need to be able to set it up so at the flick of a second switch (both switches has to be remote from the unit- probably on the dash) suck all the air out again so the tubes are sucked flat (ish).
I know this is highly unusual for a RIB. Unfortunately as it is an unpatented invention I cannot explain what the whole thing is trying to achieve. (I hate people on forums who say this)
Any ideas? I know nobody with a conventional RIB would really want to do this (unless it was for smaller storage at the touch of a button after use?- which isn't what my idea is)
Can anyone think of other industries/ users of low pressure high volume air pumps that would need this sort of device or something similar that I could take apart and adapt? My preferred route would be to adapt something existing, mass produced and cheap, rather than commission a bespoke pump to be built, although I'm sure plenty of pump mfrs could do that for me.
Many thanks
Jake
Old 16 November 2012, 19:03   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: MALTA
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 EFI 4S
Jake have a look at the Bravo pumps

RIB Pumps - Manual and Electric - Henshaw Inflatables Ltd

How many litres per min did you calculate that you would need and tubes at what pressure?

How about some of these ? Bravo Turbo Max Kit 12 volt - Henshaw Inflatables Ltd

Nick
Old 19 November 2012, 18:43   #3

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
It's a cool idea having a switch to start pumping up deflected tubes as long you have pressure relief valves on tubes or a electric pump in which you can set desired pressure, the only down bummer is that inflation and deflation issues is still mechanical, that is with your hand, no automatic hose swap on inflation, deflation ports that I know of with a press of a button....

Happy Boating
Old 19 November 2012, 18:54   #4

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I think henshaw do or did something like that....