Old 24 May 2013, 16:09   #1

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
Heading for Norway...

Good afternoon, ladies and gents. I'm ashamed to say it's more than a few days (years, actually) since I was last active on RIBnet. Reading through recent posts, especially the interesting kill-cord conversation, there are not a lot of names I recognise. So kicking off my reappearance with a new thread is a bit presumptuous.

Having said that I wondered if anyone might be interested, if only out of curiosity, in following the blog of Magellan Zulu as she heads for Norway from tomorrow morning, carrying the aged Garside duo.

I plan to post a daily update on the events part of my Magellan Line Projects page of Facebook. Here's the link... https://www.facebook.com/events/523084537758153/

The reason why, together with the outbound route and some pics of Mag Z are all there with more stuff to come.

Hopefully I'll see some of you on my page and if you'd like to 'join' in the voyage you can be sure of a 'welcome aboard.'

Cheers for now...
Old 24 May 2013, 16:24   #2

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garside View Post
Good afternoon, ladies and gents. I'm ashamed to say it's more than a few days (years, actually) since I was last active on RIBnet. Reading through recent posts, especially the interesting kill-cord conversation, there are not a lot of names I recognise. So kicking off my reappearance with a new thread is a bit presumptuous.

Having said that I wondered if anyone might be interested, if only out of curiosity, in following the blog of Magellan Zulu as she heads for Norway from tomorrow morning, carrying the aged Garside duo.

I plan to post a daily update on the events part of my Magellan Line Projects page of Facebook. Here's the link... https://www.facebook.com/events/523084537758153/

The reason why, together with the outbound route and some pics of Mag Z are all there with more stuff to come.

Hopefully I'll see some of you on my page and if you'd like to 'join' in the voyage you can be sure of a 'welcome aboard.'

Cheers for now...
Hi Mike

Welcome back. Some may not know you but those who do for sure will agree with me that you have been missed. It has been a very long time.

Have a good and safe cruise and if you can please post some news on ribnet

Just looked at your route. I went through the Kiel canal a few years ago in a diesel powered rib. Petrol from Del Helgen towards the canal will be a problem . The Isle of Helgoland would be a good stopover and petrol is available. I know you have done your homework so you are prepared
Old 24 May 2013, 16:39   #3

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Hi Mike
there indeed is a name from the past. trust all is well with you and yours.
We are flying to Norway early next month, Skjervoy. Well north indeed - you likely to be venturing that far up??????? Contact up there says its 20odd degrees at present, warmest May they can remember. I'll try not to blight the weather for you, or take any of this cold stuff with me. Eight degrees in Cumbria this morning-aaargh
Old 24 May 2013, 16:49   #4

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
seen your blog and where you are going now so that answers the question. What a trip.
All the best, hope the seas are kind to you.
This puddle jumper will follow with interest, from the comparitive safety of a heated wheelhouse.
Old 24 May 2013, 17:10   #5
JCW

Town: Essex
Boat name: Inflatable
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha F6
Send a message via AIM to JCW
Hi Mike,

All the very best for the trip. Looking forward to reading your updates.

Best Regards

Jason
Old 24 May 2013, 17:20   #6
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Looks like a fantastic trip. Good luck with the weather and the refuelling!
Old 24 May 2013, 17:46   #7

Town: Mallorca
Boat name: Amaroo
Make: Jeanneau & Seago 2.6
Engine: Outboard 200hp & 4hp
MMSI: 235104224
Wow! Good luck.

"By skill not force."
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2013, 19:33   #8

Hey Andre, Wavelength, JCW and JK, thanks for the memories. And thanks, too, Silverfox for the Wow! Will do my best to update here as well as the Facebook event. It all depends on the size of my end-of-day whiskey. First stop is Portland tomorrow night... Then Eastbourne before we cross to Belgium on Monday...
Old 26 May 2013, 18:02   #9

Here are two photos of Magellan Zulu taken in the Solent this afternoon. We were very fortunate to spot them. A brief chat and photo shoot and we wished the Garside duo a safe passage to Norway

Nice rib and well fitted out for the trip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040091.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	80446   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040092.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	80447  
Old 26 May 2013, 18:13   #10

Make: Zodiac Mk I
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
"Mag Z is going well though tiresomely some of the tube reinforcing round the bows has started to delaminate."

Nice shots.Pity about the delaminating!
Old 30 May 2013, 18:49   #11

Andre, it was really good to meet up with you in the Solent. After all these years! Some coincidence! The Norwegian raid continues apace. Today was noteworthy in that we were chased by the Dutch Coastguard in the fog, gave them the slip and were then forced to heave to by a seriously big coastguard interceptor before finally being boarded. The whole story is on the Facebook blog with pics. Silly but it's true!
Old 30 May 2013, 19:43   #12

Town: Bristol
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Mike, havent met you but good luck and wow what a set up, looks great!!
Old 31 May 2013, 19:20   #13

Quote:
Andre, it was really good to meet up with you in the Solent. After all these years! Some coincidence! The Norwegian raid continues apace. Today was noteworthy in that we were chased by the Dutch Coastguard in the fog, gave them the slip and were then forced to heave to by a seriously big coastguard interceptor before finally being boarded. The whole story is on the Facebook blog with pics. Silly but it's true!
Hi Mike

Very true it was some coincidence. A stroke of luck.
I trust all is going well. Your adventure with the Dutch Coastguards brings back memories when a group of us had just got to Littlehampton Marina from Calais on NautiBouy some few years ago and we were boarded by the UK Customs and Police who thought they had the catch of the century. but we proved them wrong

I do not do Facebook so cannot comment there.
Old 31 May 2013, 20:54   #14
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Here are two photos of Magellan Zulu taken in the Solent this afternoon. We were very fortunate to spot them. A brief chat and photo shoot and we wished the Garside duo a safe passage to Norway

Nice rib and well fitted out for the trip
Which osprey are you on? Colour and logo look familiar?

Sent from my iPad using Rib.net
Old 01 June 2013, 18:30   #15

Town: Yeovil
Boat name: Gert Lush
Make: ribcraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatnomad View Post
"Mag Z is going well though tiresomely some of the tube reinforcing round the bows has started to delaminate."

Nice shots.Pity about the delaminating!
It was some cladding peeling back so not really tube delamination. But now patched up in typical adventurer fashion
Truly remarkable couple, most people at M & D age are happy mowing the lawn for kicks!
Old 02 June 2013, 11:11   #16

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:

Cheers for now...
Hi Mike I saw 'MZ' under Construction at The Factory looks a Great RIB for the Job
Best of Luck with the Trip!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 June 2013, 07:44   #17

Thanks for the continued contributions to this thread, folks. We've been weather bound in the German Island port of Nordernay for the last three days. It's a nice enough place but doesn't fit all well with our plans. The real frustration is that we only put in here because we made an enforced late start from Lauwersoog because the harbour fuel pump had run dry and we had to do a 30km round trip by van to the nearest petrol station with our 12 jerrycans before we could motor off. By that time the wind was building and after 50 miles it was up to about 30 knots with big enough seas to keep Mag Z awash at any sort of speed. So by missing our weather window by 3 hours we have been trapped for 3 days. Still, day four looks as if the blow is easing and, hopefully, we'll be on our way into the Kiel Canal tomorrow, Tuesday 4 June. Fingers crossed!
Old 03 June 2013, 21:00   #18

Hi Mike

Thanks for your update. I am sure you have got a plan but no harm in my adding to it. Approx 30 km before the exit of the canal there is a marina called Yachtservice Schreiber , Borgstedt, tel. +49433136313 N 54 19.7'. E 009 42.9'
The marina will be to port side

There is fuel in the marina and a guesthouse

Watch your speed in the canal and pull up if it gets foggy.

Are you coming back by rib?
Have a look at my thread
http://www.rib.net/forum/f18/rib-cru...a-40308-2.html

The V1 & V2 factory are a worthwhile visit and you are going to be very close
Old 08 June 2013, 14:24   #19

Interesting thread that,Andre. A good trip indeed. As for Diana and me, we broke out of Norderney, transitted the Kiel Canal, bombed up the right of Denmark - 220 miles that day - and then crossed the Skaggerack to Skien in Norway yesterday. Arrived here totally knackered but today much recovered. Tomorrow we head for Vermork to salute the Heroes of Telemark. That will be a day return trip by car after which on Tuesday we high-tail it southward for home. Weather will dictate the exact route and timings but we hope to make it back to St Mawes by the 22nd. Fingers crossed!
Old 09 June 2013, 12:17   #20

Quote:
Interesting thread that,Andre. A good trip indeed. As for Diana and me, we broke out of Norderney, transitted the Kiel Canal, bombed up the right of Denmark - 220 miles that day - and then crossed the Skaggerack to Skien in Norway yesterday. Arrived here totally knackered but today much recovered. Tomorrow we head for Vermork to salute the Heroes of Telemark. That will be a day return trip by car after which on Tuesday we high-tail it southward for home. Weather will dictate the exact route and timings but we hope to make it back to St Mawes by the 22nd. Fingers crossed!
Well done Mike and Diana and have a safe return home.