Old 06 November 2002, 09:54   #1

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Have You Got An Opinion??

Attached is a photo of the APACHE range boats that are made in Greece by Bell Marine.
These boats are of a complete fibre glass shell and inside the fibre galss pontoons they are fitted with small inflatable sections.
These boats take also part in RIB races in Greece (Greece is an amazing country - also in the EU you know - and ONLY good for holidays).
What is your opinion.
Since they do not actually have proper inflatable pontoons can these boats be consider as RIBs or as something else?
YOUR VIEWS WILL BE VERY WELCOME AND USED TO SEE WHETHER OFSE (the Greek RIB equivalent to BIBOA) WILL TAKE ANY NOTICE.
Photo from a race lat July Kalamaki-Paros witn NNE wind force 8
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the apache.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	1324  
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2002, 10:41   #2

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Rib or Not

Hi Manos

I suppose they are technically a Rib as they are Rigid they have an inflatable collar inside the fibre glass and they are a boat. They just dont look like the Ribs we all see every day.

Julian
Old 06 November 2002, 11:17   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I'm not sure what the BIBOA definition is for racing purposes, but I know it is quite specific about what is acceptable and what isn't.

To my mind these are certainly RIBs. We have RIBs with very thin tapered tubes, we even have RIBs with hard noses -- they're all still RIBs though.

However the boat in the picture below has inflatable fenders, but I certainly wouldn't call it a RIB. Where do we draw the line?

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ribex2001landau.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	1325  
Old 06 November 2002, 11:22   #4

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Ribs

I agree with John. There is no way in the world that the boat in that photo is a Rib. What where they thinking of. Looks crap and is a pointless design. Burn it.

Julian
Old 06 November 2002, 11:31   #5

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
I agree, the Landau pictured is not a rib. I have had the pleasure of actually going in one, sans inflatable fenders mind you, and the hull/ride is quite superb. Rib or no rib, this is a great boat if you don't mind the aesthetics. Surprisingly she has almost no wake to speak of.
Old 06 November 2002, 11:52   #6

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Well wherever you draw the line, of one thing there can be no doubt. My boat is a SIB. My boat is an inflatable boat. My boat qualifies for the BIBOA.

keith (I'll huff and I'll puff) Hart
Old 06 November 2002, 13:17   #7

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
In my view

NEITHER the Landau or the Apache are RIBS (although rules make them both RIBS).
The Landau is COMPLETELY OUT BY MILES. Is an augly looking thing for heaven sake.
The Apache is a cheet!!!! A LOOK ALIKE CHEET (have to admit clever idea of the builders though and the racing version has a top speed 70 knots with a 200 bhp Mariner ).
What ever rules say I believe that a RIB should look and BE like a RIB. If rules don't cange we may see a SCARAB or a COUGAR or a Sunseeker or a Fairline or a Mariah or a Baja or.... where do I stop?? with a floating titbit on the side posing as a RIB.
Old 06 November 2002, 13:58   #8

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Last time I read the BIBOA racing rules I seem to recall some rule along the lines of a certain % of hull had to be tube. So whilst you can have tapered tubes you can't get away with none or a fender as per the Landau. Not sure whether the tubes actually have to be inflatable fabric as opposed to solid.

Not a racing RIB but there is a well known Aluminium RIB called Awesome, self built by Andy Micklewright. Absolutely fantastic boat, goes through anything - makes lots of spray - but goes through anything!

alan
Old 06 November 2002, 16:04   #9

Hi Alan

Aluminium RIB will go through anything.
Just wait and I have some photos of 4 smagling boats that were confiscated by the Greek Coast Guard. Owners arrested.
Boats are about 50ft long, with 4 2000bhp engines with racing pearcing 5 bladed prps on.
The Coast Guard said they can do 80 knots tops and cruise @ 60 knots.
The bow is covered with steel 1" thick.
Old 06 November 2002, 19:26   #10
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Re: In my view

Quote:
Originally posted by Manos

What ever rules say I believe that a RIB should look and BE like a RIB.
The first rib I ever owned was an orange Avon, then an orange Osprey, then a few more orange Avons. My hands have a permanent orange tint from working gelcoat. My workshop is covered in orange dust. My blockpaving has an orange hue to it. In fact, everything I own has a dollop of orange on it so I have to say "a rib ain't a rib unless its orange"! Having said that I'm now retiring to my bunker with my orange hard hat on. Ni Ni.

David(life's a bowl of fruit)Manning.
Old 07 November 2002, 17:38   #11

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
First I have to...

agree with Manos and JK. A line must be drawn somewhere, BUT... on the other hand we must be open minded.
Some 30 years ago if we had the chance (and the hitec features), of having this discussion, NONE of us could believe that there are other than traditional boats. Wood and steel were the most common materials for boat builders.

Then Zodiac made the first sib writing the first page of this kind of boats. We all remember that we didn't consider them as the most aesthetic thing ! Did we ? They had that peculiar scheme.
I remember an uncle of mine saying the first time he saw my sib : "And what are these rockets looking backwards for ?"

When the first rib showed up (I remember well), none could imagine how these boats would push aside the sibs.

I 'm sure that nowadays boat builders sell more ribs than sibs. MUCH MUCH MORE. For two reasons only. First it's fashion. Second they serve better the cause they are made for.

To come to this "Bell Marine" manufacturer. Is there a point to draw a line between which is and which isn't a rib ?

I am sure that IF you remove (cause they can be removed) these pontoons and fill the boat with water, she will go down till you count to 3.
This is what the people has to be informed with

Then let the people (market) deside.

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2002, 20:38   #12
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Re: First I have to...

Quote:
Originally posted by batfalcon
A line must be drawn somewhere, BUT... on the other hand we must be open minded.
The distinction only has to be made for racing -- in the real world, who cares?

John