Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
Isn't that the point of internet fora? To air one's views and share gossip?
Start your post with either IMHO or IMO, thens its a view, otherwise could be a statement of fact and thats is in my humble opinion.

Old 23 October 2008, 08:44   #22

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Heard a nasty little rumour today - don't know how true it is but...
But that wasn't opinion, it was sharing information. In a proper context and clearly labeled as requiring a pinch of salt.

I can only wish the Daily Mail was so open about it's rumour mongering and speculative "journalism"!

Old 23 October 2008, 08:57   #23

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker View Post
Start your post with either IMHO or IMO, thens its a view, otherwise could be a statement of fact and thats is in my humble opinion.
I was using the internet before all this silly jargon started - I am not going to change just to fit in.

I entered the word rumour in bold text - thought that would be clear enough for most people!!!
Old 23 October 2008, 09:17   #24

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Isn't that the point of internet fora?..
So you think it’s OK to spread rumours that cast aspersions on a businesses ethics do you? Would you be happy if I started spreading “nasty” rumours that your business has a habit of sharp practices?
I don’t think so and as for Codders..for someone who decries the poor standard of tabloid journalism to use the defence of “they do it too” is unbelievable…
Old 23 October 2008, 09:30   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
So you think it’s OK to spread rumours that cast aspersions on a businesses ethics do you? Would you be happy if I started spreading “nasty” rumours that your business has a habit of sharp practices?
I don’t think so and as for Codders..for someone who decries the poor standard of tabloid journalism to use the defence of “they do it too” is unbelievable…
Ahh but I have never seen you attack the tabloids..............
Old 23 October 2008, 09:31   #26

Quote:
We are talking about a business that has gone bust!!!
Old 23 October 2008, 09:42   #27

Quote:
If you read past the first seven words of that post I think I make my views clear and answer your question in advance:

"Isn't that the point of internet fora? To air one's views and share gossip?

So long as no one gets called names or damaging statement are spread with malice, Codders made it pretty clear that it was hear say he was passing on."

One of the reasons I make the nature of my business known on this forum is that I am happy for people to comment on the level of service they get, I would like to think that people would contact me in private before making any accusations and I also trust John's judgement when it comes to people ranting and raving with ill intent.

Obviously no, I would not be happy if you started spreading wild rumours about my business. But then if I had just declared myself bankrupt I would expect there to be a few frenzied opinions thrown around the place, especially if I employed people.

You may also like to note that my post was a question: "Isn't that the point of internet fora....?" I take it that your think not, in which case a no followed by your reasons would be the polite thing to do.

The state of the economy and the marine industry in particular has everyone on edge at the moment, so why don't we all try to take things at face value. If someone has heard a bit of news/rumour/gossip that might help us prepare for what is to come then great, so long as no one gets abused or insulted in the process it would be good to get the heads up and share some of the theories.
Old 23 October 2008, 09:48   #28

Quote:
Ahh but I have never seen you attack the tabloids..............
..WTF has that got to do with it?

I deplore the gutter press as it happens... but I was pointing out your hypocrisy in criticising their poor standards and then offering them as defence?

Quote:
We are talking about a business that has gone bust!!!
…but you indicated that they (albeit under a different identity, we must assume) are going to continue trading. Make your mind up.

Quote:
….. and will be buying the moulds back - a cheap way to relocate perhaps? Bridgend too far away from the South Coast?….
Old 23 October 2008, 09:52   #29

Quote:
.... If someone has heard a bit of news/rumour/gossip that might help us prepare for what is to come then great, so long as no one gets abused or insulted in the process it would be good to get the heads up and share some of the theories.
Go on..explain how Codders's little gem will prepare you for "what's to come".. I'm all ears.

So you think accusing someone of deliberately going bust to avoid paying redundancy etc is not either defamatory or insulting?
Old 23 October 2008, 10:14   #30

Quote:
Go on..explain how Codders's little gem will prepare you for "what's to come".. I'm all ears.

So you think accusing someone of deliberately going bust to avoid paying redundancy etc is not either defamatory or insulting?
The thought that a company may have considered going bust rather than facing the prospect of relocating is very telling, or am I reading too much into it? If true then it means they think there is still a market for new builds out there and that by reinventing themselves they might be able to meet a demand, a demand that I have to say most people seem to think is shrinking fast.

IMHO The suggestion is probably groundless, just the inevitable sour grapes that get burst when a manufacturer goes bust leaving customers and staff in the lurch. To say more would be to enter into potentially damaging and insulting speculation, so I shall delete what I just typed.

The whole point of Codders post was that he was not accusing anyone of anything, he was passing on some possible insight based on what he felt was a useful bit of info. The suggestion was well framed, in my view.

Where is the marine industry going and does sharing information help us to answer the question?

Raymarine issued a profit warning and their shares are now worth less than a tea bag, this is very useful info; discuss.