Click Here to Login

Old 24 January 2013, 03:48   #1

Town: Vancouver
Boat name: Jericho Rescue
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard 150hp
Have a need, have a budget, now I need a boat

Hello everyone, this is my first post here, hope it works out.

I have been thrown rather head-first into a position at a non-profit organization where I am now responsible for selecting a new vessel for our ocean rescue program. We currently have a Zodiac Hurricane 590 with 150hp outboard, but it's reached the end of its life and now that we're replacing it we're looking to go a little bigger. Two options that we've looked at and priced out are:

- Zodiac Hurricane 630 OB with dual 115hp
- Ribcraft USA 6.8 with single 225hp

We have a bit of a bias towards Zodiac because a) our current boat is great, and b) they're based in our city (Vancouver) for easy warranty and such. However, their price for the 630 is substantially higher than Ribcraft's 6.8, even before engines. I've never used a Ribcraft, and have no idea what to expect from them.

Any comments as to the quality of each, which one may be a better selection, things I need to consider in making the choice, and any other suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 24 January 2013, 09:10   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
In the UK I think you'd find people would generally regard the Ribcraft higher than the Zodiac. Ribcraft are fantastic boats - very solid and well built. There are lots of UK lifeboat organisations using Ribcrafts. I'm not aware of any using Zodiacs!

PS. Twin engines for a rescue set-up is pretty much standard. Ribcraft will be able to offer you this if you go down that road.