Old 21 May 2004, 14:16   #1

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Hatches.

Having spoken in depth with the guys at Osprey today i am going to cut a hole in my deck to access the void for storage. I must confess i'm stealing this idea from Richard B's scorpion, although i beleive it is quite common.

What i am now after is a hatch which is 100% waterproof and stand-on proof. Approximate dimensions 300mm x 500mm. The hatches in Richard B's scorpion are 'Lewmar' and look very watertight but can i stand on them? In a big sea?

I must confess i have not enlisted google into my quest, but RIBnet is more resourcefull anyway...

Oh, and i'm on a budget!

edit- i've attached a picy of where it's going.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3398.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	5804  
Old 21 May 2004, 14:18   #2

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Well, I've stood on them a few times accidentally (Richard cornering too fast or zooming off while I'm still sorting out ropes & fenders ) and they haven't broken yet (but don't sue me if they break when you do!!). We do get some water in the locker but not sure where from yet! Richard doesn't think it's through the hatch though. HTH.

Having said that, there is a certain person I know (not me or Richard B) who managed to break the hatch on said person's instructor's boat!! Not sure what make of hatch it was, though.

P.S. I PMed you a week ago and apparently you haven't read it!!!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2004, 14:42   #3

Town: Worcestershire
Make: Various
Engine: O/B + Sterndrives Di
Deck Hatches

Hi Daniel,

Know the problem you are having, the strongest "plastic" hatches we have come across are from Viking through Aquamarine Dealers and we frequently fit these to RIBs from 7 - 12 mtrs and have as yet not had any problems with them - try looking at http://www.aqua-marine.co.uk/acatalog/index.html also at the bottom of the page of plastic hatches you will see some aluminium hatches would the black one be of any use to you?
If you see anything there that may be of interest and you are having trouble sourcing it come back to me as we can get any of these items (if Aquamarine have them in stock!).

All the best,

Steve

Never take the advice of someone who has not had your kind of trouble
Sidney J
Harris
Old 21 May 2004, 14:44   #4

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
'atches

Daniel,

Lewmar are pretty strong but not cheap. I think Andy Clark at Bosuns mate also sells some superduper hatches: http://www.bosunsmate.co.uk . Making use of the underdeck void is good idea but be careful where you cut!

Louise, the water in the front stowage in Blue Ice I think either gets in through the rubber seal of the hatch which may need replacing or more likely IMHO through the fitting for the (removed) ballast tank at the bow end. One of the jobs I had planned to do was to glass this over to seal it for definate! (Mentioned this to Richard last time we spoke.)
Old 21 May 2004, 14:45   #5

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Daniel
The lewmar ones are good and you can get different heights of pertution from the deck for trip hazzards and sizes. There are other maufacturers, but you can still get the spares for older hatches with lewmar. They are comonly found on yacht foredecks and can take some abuse.

I have a similar problem on my redbay in that the original hatches catches have failed so if I can't find out who made them I will have to go down this route.

Rgds
James
Old 21 May 2004, 14:51   #6

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
My son(5 stone) managed to break my unbreakable hatch (500mm sq. white, 2 hinges 2 catches jobby). So I replaced it with a Vetus hatch. We tested it with a 25 stone test rig ( me and a mate jumped on it) and it was OK.

Des

PS go direct to Vetus and you can get good deal if you try.
Old 21 May 2004, 15:30   #7
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
Oh, and i'm on a budget!
I would be very surprised if you are able to find a cheap hatch that is up to the job. Lewmar make a range of low profile hatches which would be a good choice, but they are a lot of money, and even then they aren't indestructable!

If you do get one of these types of hatched I recommend getting out the hacksaw and cutting of the interior handles on the catches. They have a habit of getting jammed on whatever you put in the locker (because let's face it, you're going to stuff it full!) and then you can't open it.

John
Old 21 May 2004, 16:23   #8

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
I recommend getting out the hacksaw and cutting of the interior handles on the catches. They have a habit of getting jammed on whatever you put in the locker (because let's face it, you're going to stuff it full!) and then you can't open it.
Agreed!

I have suffered from this on onother boat before we bought Blue Ice, and it's really, really annoying! Alan or John had already done this on one hatch so I did it to the other.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2004, 16:29   #9

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Tell you what Daniel... your RIB looks the business in that photo!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2004, 17:54   #10

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Daniel just before you go cutting you might want to measure exactly how much room you have there because the hull is quiet shallow at that point. In addition the under deck trunking is also runs there.

Instead why not cut a hole infront of the console which will provide a suprising amount of room probably 50 litres. Where does that fuel tank start and finish, seem to remember you have a very large one.

Rene might be able to do you a pic if he still has the viper.

Pete
Old 21 May 2004, 17:56   #11

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: DIZZY
Make: Aphrodite 101
Engine: Nanni
Daniel
Lewmar or equivalent hatches on foredeck of yachts take quite a hammering when racing, crew leaping about setting spinnakers, anchors etc.
I've never known one to give way when i'm on the foredeck sorting out a mess usually in a hurry.
Most foredeck hatches are 500x500mm (sized for escape and stowing sails),
even at this size they stand up to quite a pounding.
You can get them in tinted shades.

John
Old 21 May 2004, 18:03   #12

OKay some great advice for me to review over the weekend...

When i said budget, i meant i'm not going to spend £500 on a hatch - anyone any idea how much these 'lewmars' are?

Pete, the fuel tank is 8', yes 8' long and runs from right where i would want to put a front hatch to a few inches infront of where i am going to have to put it. It's 220li, how large was yours?

It's not such a bad thing because the boat tends to be bow heavy anyway so weight aft is a good thing.
Old 21 May 2004, 19:56   #13

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Daniel, it was a standard 130 L tank and fitted under the console and down through the deck. You could make Iceland with that thing!

Pete
Old 21 May 2004, 21:37   #14

Plymouth > Scillies > Plymouth without refueling as it happens (well we did stick £50 worth in to be safe, but could have made it)
Old 21 May 2004, 21:43   #15

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Sorry to interrupt...

Daniel, do you read your PMs? Cos you've had one from me since 10th May and apparenty you haven't read it! Now I know you've been busy but...
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2004, 09:34   #16

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Hi Daniel what a fine looking boat!
Well I would like to do the same to my Osprey but I would agree with Pete that the hull is very shallow at that point & going for-woulds of the console would give you allot more room!
I liked the look of this hatch & a cracking price (I would hope that is the only cracking!)

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4811
"The hatch came from International Marine Supplies http://www.internationalmarinesupplies.co.uk .

It was the "IMS 861 - Twin handled hatch. 37cm x 37.5cm Overall 28.9cm x 28.3cm Hole cut out." It cost £26.02 Reatail inc.

Its shock and pressure resistant too which is good as no doubt a dive cylinder will be bounced off it at some point. I did jump up and down on it to test it and it didn't break "
Regards
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BOA.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	5812