Old 15 October 2009, 10:48   #11
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
It seems from reading here that this is not the case...
Nope, it's not.

I blew out a baffle on one side (4-chamber tubes), and opened a seam on the tube itself (probably in quick succession.) The seam was repaired; didn't feel like tackling the baffle. Might have it repaired when I have OP valves installed (whenever that may be.)

A buddy of mine has blown *all* the baffles on his Zodiac 16.

As an FYI, these both occured during not-so-hot weather here, with night temps in the low 50's or so and daytime temps in the 80's (degrees F). Both boats were situated on trailers in direct sunlight though, so the daytime temps may be a bit misleading.

To the OP: As far as I know, the failure point will probably be a seam (the fabric itself is much stronger than the seams are), so the soapy water thing should help you find it, unless it's buried alongside the hull or something like that.

jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2009, 12:54   #12
Town: Hamble
Make: Novamarine
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60
I've found the leak with the hot soapy water trick.
One of the reinforcing tapes that forms the edge of the blunt end of the tube at the back of the boat underneath has lifted in the middle and pulled the outer surface of the tube material with it leaving the porous scrim material beneath. The reinforcing tape is starting to lift on the other side too but not leaking yet.

Nothing to do with overinflation. More to do with 40 mph of water jetting up under the tape and lifting it. More to do with running the boat flat out with limp tubes before I pumped them up. It was an irritating flapping noise of the tubes which alerted me to it needing more air. That noise could well have been the tapes flapping in the water flow.

I have washed the area with fresh water and folded and clipped the offending tape back on itself so it is no longer tight against the tube and will dry out where I will have to glue it.

It's not going to need a patch I'm hoping as the extent of the leak is all underneath the reinforcing tape which simply needs gluing back down.

What glue do I use and where do I get it? Do I need to treat the bare area with something before I glue the tape back down or will the glue I use to stick the tape down also fix the porous tube undeneath?

I don't know if the boat is Hypalon or the other material. It's a Novamarine RH450. Anyone know what its made of? I'm assuming the glue relates to the boat material.

The glue that it was made with to hold the reinforcing tape down was black if thats any help. It's a white boat.

Jacob555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2009, 13:17   #13
RIBnet supporter
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
You need this glue from Kieron in eastlands yard, get him to quote you for a reapir first, you may be suprised.
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2009, 13:29   #14
Town: Hamble
Make: Novamarine
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60
Thanks, I'll tow it up there in the morning, that way I can maybe get some advice and they can tell me for sure if its hypalon or PVC...
Jacob555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2009, 01:52   #15
Trade member
Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
if you reglue it the repair will not last it needs a wedge shaped over patch after repairing the leak .i would take it to kieron for a quote .pay a bit more than it would cost if you do it yourself but only pay once as it will be done properly
paul tilley is offline   Reply With Quote