Old 19 July 2007, 13:37   #1

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Harwich to Oostende

This is not strictly a "upcoming RIB cruise" since i've done it < Edit: That's why I moved it! JK > but i did say i would pop a brief review of the trip for those that are interested and for future reference when RIBneters search the forums.

The trip
The RIB was secondary really to the sailing boats we wanted to take across the channel. Having successfully sailed across last summer to Calais we wanted something more challenging, so an 80nm mile crossing to Oostende was in order. For those interested the sailing cats are Tornado's, which is the Olympic class of Cat, makes about 25knts, twin trapeze and designed really for racing not crossing the channel. See pictures.

The crossing is straight forward, nothing in the way, but two sets of busy shipping lanes to cross.

The crossing took us 6hrs 30mins, but remember we were sailing! This should be achievable in less than 3 hrs in most 6m+ RIBS. I would not recommend this long crossing for the smaller boats. Remember you are out of VHF range for a good part of the trip.

Oostende
Oostende, despite being a fairly busy commercial port is straightforward to enter and the marina is easy to find on the right, nicely positioned for the town centre and everyone is very welcoming. I called them up on Ch09 and had to wait for the ferry (which runs to Ramsgate) but only a few minutes. Facilities are OK (Showers and toilets). Plenty of B & B's within a few minutes walk. Nightlife and restaurants were excellent. Chandlery is limited and hard to find. No fuel quayside. No petrol stations seen nearby.

Blankenberge
The 2nd day saw a short 10nm trip up the coast to Blankenberge. A delightful place, with even more nightlife than Oostende (we retired at 3am and they were still partying) and even better restaurants. Possibly the best breakfast of my life (seriously). Limited B & B’s. We slept on the boats. Petrol quayside. Well equipped chandlery (where you pay for the fuel). Easy entrance, no real need to use the VHF since hardly any commercial shipping.

The Boat
I borrowed a Ribtec 655 for the trip. It was fairly basic spec, two 2 man jockeys and a lowrance GPS / Depth and that’s about all. I was very impressed with the boat, excellent dry ride and good handling. We were making 25+ knts in a 2 – 3 m sea at times. Good amount of storage. We were carrying a good 150 – 200 Kg of luggage and 100Kg of extra fuel on the deck. With the 140 Suzuki 4 stroke we got 1 – 1.1 li per mile which is about what I expected. Top speed (loaded as indicated) 35knts, which I would have expected to be better but it was always quite choppy. The 110li fuel tank is a little small for my liking. We carried spare fuel in jerry cans and had to refuel before the return trip. My old Osprey had a 220li tank which is far more like it!!

The Engine
I am a self confessed follower of the Optimax, and in a close 2nd place a Yamaha. But the Suzuki impressed, never put a beat wrong, pulled well and returned some economy. Fuel consumption no better than an Opti though. Quieter, much quieter which for long distance cruising is important, particularly when supporting sailing boats as we were. We did have a problem mid-channel in that we lost reverse. A real pain, and a little worrying because I thought it might be the gearbox. I needed to fix this in Oostende, having decided it was a matter of adjustment I was horrified to discover that to adjust the gear cable end you need to remove the whole side of the engine! That’s 8 10mm bolts and a large plastic moulding. A real pain in the marina. But, eventually, a successful repair. I was pleased (and surprised) to find Suzuki supply a 10mm socket tool especially for this job in their tool kit.
Old 19 July 2007, 13:44   #2

Pictures

(1) The RIB
(2) Engine repairs
(3) Blankenberge (note... camping facilities!)
(4) Oostende, thunder and lightening before heading off
(5) Lets go home!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7163.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	28610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7174.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	28611   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7178.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	28612   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7187.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	28613   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7188.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	28614  

Old 19 July 2007, 15:47   #3

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
there is apparently no petrol in Oostende itself

last time there we went South bto Nieweport

about 3 hours is right
Old 19 July 2007, 20:20   #4

Town: Andover
Boat name: Vampire
Make: RIBCRAFT
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300
oostende

Great Info Daniel, we are off to Ost / Blank / Stellendam / Rot and Amster next week. Did you have any issues on the numerous banks outside Oostende?

Cheers

Greg
Old 20 July 2007, 11:06   #5

For us there were no drying banks within a good mile either side of the route. It would be different in a Yottie Boat.

I beleive there is one or two to worry about in a RIB if you are coming up from Dunkirk along the coast more.

I can confirm there is no petrol in Oostende, and that i have bought petrol quayside in Nieweport (Summer 2005)
Old 20 July 2007, 17:27   #6

Town: Breda
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 250 DI
Beware of the numerous banks outside Stellendam.
Stay in between the buoyes.