Old 01 September 2018, 16:13   #1

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SPOOK
Make: Grand
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Hamble to the Airshow

Planning on taking the RIB on it’s 1st longish jaunt to the Bournemouth Airshow tomorrow. Think it’ll be quite a lumpy ride and rolly at anchor which doesn’t worry me too much (within reason) but I’d be interested to hear from anyone who’s been there this weekend. How was it?
Also and this may sound daft but I need someone to reassure me that 120 litres of fuel is enough to get me there and back. I’ve done the maths and on paper, I should use no more than half a tank in a 6 metre rib with a Suzuki 140A at a steady 25-28knts (swell etc permitting).
60nm round trip including Hamble river runs.
What do you reckon? Anyone done it?
Thanks
Lisa
Old 01 September 2018, 18:07   #2

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
If you go on the rule of a litre a mile you should be fine you must know your boat fuel burn ?!?!
Old 01 September 2018, 18:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Haggis View Post
If you go on the rule of a litre a mile you should be fine you must know your boat fuel burn ?!?!
Had the boat a week so no, not yet but thanks for the reply.
Lisa
Old 01 September 2018, 23:00   #4

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
120l should be plenty for that trip with that boat/engine combo, with reserve. You can always take a 20l can of spare fuel just in case if in doubt. Conditions tomorrow don't look too bad for the journey for a 6m+ RIB, maybe a tiny bit more wind than today, but still fairly light. S/SE winds will be blowing right into the Bournemouth coast, but not very strong, so shouldn't be a big problem at anchor. I tend to find in previous years at the airshow with boats moving around constantly that the wash they create is more of the issue than a light wind!
Old 02 September 2018, 07:30   #5

Been to the show it isnt as good as it used to be, highlights are red arrows and the destroyer/frigate in the bay. If approaching the warship dont approach at high speed and dont get too close ! they do have crew manning guns around it so don't get them nervous, wave and smile and go slow and not too close is best advice.

No vulcan, no tornado or f15/f16, lots of old prop stuff.

Anchoring - I thought the exclusion zone for boats was getting ridiculous last year but this year its even further out to the south and much further east and west. Depth is about 13M to the south between the piers at exclusion zone so you need good anchor 10m chain plus about 20 or 30m of rope to hold well in the swells that can be large as wind and other boaters make it rather uncomfortable at anchor, then you have the pain of pulling all that up from 13M. You also get lots of boaters who think putting down 15m of chain/line in 13m is ok to anchor so you constantly get boaters with slipping anchors so if you are going to anchor try and find a relatively unoccupied space.

The exclusion zone, dont even think about anchoring just inside the zone as you will be told to move. The zone is marked by YELLOW buoys to the east,west and south, amazing how many boaters found it difficult to work out where the zone was, the wardens in boats and jet skis and continously having to chase people crossing the zone or telling people to move from anchor.
Old 02 September 2018, 08:25   #6

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisilou View Post
Planning on taking the RIB on it’s 1st longish jaunt to the Bournemouth Airshow tomorrow. Think it’ll be quite a lumpy ride and rolly at anchor which doesn’t worry me too much (within reason) but I’d be interested to hear from anyone who’s been there this weekend. How was it?

Also and this may sound daft but I need someone to reassure me that 120 litres of fuel is enough to get me there and back. I’ve done the maths and on paper, I should use no more than half a tank in a 6 metre rib with a Suzuki 140A at a steady 25-28knts (swell etc permitting).

60nm round trip including Hamble river runs.

What do you reckon? Anyone done it?

Thanks

Lisa

Bit of a late reply, but our RC545 with a DF140a does a minimum of 1nm/l at cruise (25-28 kn) I can get 1.3nm/l if I'm gentle. It drops to 0.7nm/l at displacement speeds.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2018, 08:29   #7

Thanks Paul. Just needed that reassurance from someone experienced with RIBs.
Lisa

(Sorry, should’ve quoted)
Old 02 September 2018, 08:43   #8

Town: Poole
Boat name: Triple O
Make: R70
Engine: Suzuki 200hp
You can refuel in Yarmouth on the way there or back to sooth fuel anxiety. It’s fairly recently priced too.
Old 02 September 2018, 08:52   #9

Thanks for the replies...really helpful.

Boris...I think you’ve helped make the decision of the day. We have 6m chain & 18 of rode so I think it may be more hassle than it’s worth tbh. We’ve done it a few times in sports cruisers but never in a 6m RIB which is a different ball game so thanks so much for that info.

Dave...That’s dead handy info, thanks & just what I needed to know.

Lisa
Old 02 September 2018, 08:55   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf10 View Post
You can refuel in Yarmouth on the way there or back to sooth fuel anxiety. It’s fairly recently priced too.
Thanks CG. Good call.
Lisa
Old 02 September 2018, 09:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisilou View Post
Thanks for the replies...really helpful.

Boris...I think you’ve helped make the decision of the day. We have 6m chain & 18 of rode so I think it may be more hassle than it’s worth tbh. We’ve done it a few times in sports cruisers but never in a 6m RIB which is a different ball game so thanks so much for that info.

Dave...That’s dead handy info, thanks & just what I needed to know.

Lisa
you could always anchor to the west of bournemouth pier but you wont get the full experience as the planes wont be flying overhead so much you will just see them to the east and south east plus lots and lots of boats, depth about 5m
Old 02 September 2018, 09:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
you could always anchor to the west of bournemouth pier but you wont get the full experience as the planes wont be flying overhead so much you will just see them to the east and south east plus lots and lots of boats, depth about 5m
Yeh. Exec decision made to give it a miss this year, at least til we add a few extra metres of chain I think.
Thanks Boris
Lisa