RIBnet supporter

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Opti
RIBase
Halloween Ribraid

Had a great day out yesterday on the Lower and Upper Lough Erne system.

We started off from home at 7am and drove to the Lough Erne Yacht Club on the Lower Lough where we launched at 9am - (Yep early start!!)

After the safety brief we headed off to Enniskillen. There were 17 ribs in all. A mighty gathering after the week of high winds an rain over here.

We progressed through the centre of Enniskillen and then on to Carysford Bridge for a comfort stop and to replenish suppies!

Then we were off again down the Upper Lough until the thunder and lightening passed over us!!! Torrential rain forced our very slow speed. However as it passed away to the east we sped up again and soon dried off.

Belturbet was our place of choice for our lunch, during which we were entertained in music and dance in the local hostelry.

Back on the boats again we made our fast (regs permitting) return trip north towards Enniskillen again. It was a great run with plenty of wake jumping and wake avoidance as the light began to fade.

Once at Enniskillen we rafted up mid-river, helped by the RNLI and local police launches (on Redbays!). We got plenty of admiring glances as we had the best seats for the ensuing fireworks display over the river!

When the festivities had ended and the area declared clear, we slowly headed north again following each other's lights up to the Lower Lough and then a fast run in darkness back to the club house.

Most participants tied up and headed indoors for the music and craic while myself and crew were faced with recovery in the pitch dark!

If anyone has attempted recovery in the dark you will know how difficult it can be. However the gods were smiling on us and I drove on to the trailer first time and we were away.

We arrived back in Belfast at 11.30pm. tired but really feeling good after the last major run of the season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31102009039.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	47305   Click image for larger version

Name:	31102009042.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	47306   Click image for larger version

Name:	31102009043.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	47307   Click image for larger version

Name:	31102009044.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	47308  
Old 01 November 2009, 20:42   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Looks like a great day out & with that many boats a great sight to see. Out of selfish personal interest it seems that you have my boat following you! Having never seen another Shearwater owner to speak to in any sensible way do you have any info on this boat ( Engine, length etc ) or any other pics - they seem to be few & far between.

Thanks

Pete
Old 01 November 2009, 20:43   #3

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Tony sounds like a great day out!! I am only jealous as my boat is now up for the winter. I am surprised at your weather as we on the ayrshire coast had a great day. I agree with the hazzards of recovering in the dark not to be reccommended.
Cheers for now
J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 November 2009, 10:30   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Engine: 90hp Opti
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
Looks like a great day out & with that many boats a great sight to see. Out of selfish personal interest it seems that you have my boat following you! Having never seen another Shearwater owner to speak to in any sensible way do you have any info on this boat ( Engine, length etc ) or any other pics - they seem to be few & far between.

Thanks

Pete
I'll see what I can find out Pete. The crew did have us jealous when they ducked into the cabin during the thunderstorm! I don't think the skipper was too pleased with them though as he was left in the elements!
Old 02 November 2009, 15:37   #5

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Sounds[and looks like] a good time! A part of the UK Im not familiar with but I hear is lovely.
Nice drop of Autumn sun too!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote