Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbypower View Post
Letter O and MoB
Hmmm......I'd be more concerned with actually dealing with the MOB than rifling through the bunting I don't carry and running it up the yard arm I also don't have. I'm sure WAFI's have crew drills to do this though..

Wouldn't the boat be some way from the MOB by the time the flag was run up....so what's the point? Different with "A" as the boat is static and it's warning to keep clear.

For a full synopsis of signal flags and their meaning I refer all to Thelwells "3 sheets in the wind"
Old 22 August 2014, 21:45   #23

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Your thinking of small vessels, however take for example a super tanker !! It'll take forever to heave to and come about, and also take some time to launch the FRT..
Old 22 August 2014, 22:14   #24

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbypower View Post
Your thinking of small vessels, however take for example a super tanker !! It'll take forever to heave to and come about, and also take some time to launch the FRT..
By which time the ship would be a long way from the MOB, so what value does this type of flag actually add in this day & age of radio comms? And who really uses them - who actually runs a flag up when they are turning to port or starboard or have engaged astern etc....?

X "stop carrying out your intentions and watch for my signals" - what does that really mean. L, - "you should stop your vessel instantly" - by the time you'd pulled out your crib card you'd have missed the opportunity to sto!. K -" I wish to comunicate with you"...use the radio!
Old 22 August 2014, 22:17   #25

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
The Red & yellow beach lifeguard flag was devised or based on the man overboard flag .
Old 22 August 2014, 22:23   #26

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
I do not intend to feed your trolling I merely answered a question !! If you can think of arguments agaist uing them then I am sure your capable of reasoning as to when they might be used...
Old 22 August 2014, 22:32   #27

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
It's also on top of a Dan buoy.

Wavelength,

I "instruct" to a degree new boat handlers in my club, some do external courses, I'm amazed at how poorly the basics are covered on these courses that take people's money.

My favourite question is "so what did they tell you about trim" normal answer "is it important?"

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2014, 07:38   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
By which time the ship would be a long way from the MOB, so what value does this type of flag actually add in this day & age of radio comms? And who really uses them - who actually runs a flag up when they are turning to port or starboard or have engaged astern etc....?

X "stop carrying out your intentions and watch for my signals" - what does that really mean. L, - "you should stop your vessel instantly" - by the time you'd pulled out your crib card you'd have missed the opportunity to sto!. K -" I wish to comunicate with you"...use the radio!
Bring a couple of tons of cocaine in on ur rib, ignore a VHF call from HM Protector and you might find out who uses XL K flags. There is no requirement to carry VHF. I suspect they are required to instruct you to stop before they board you. They will know the average drug runner doesn't know the flags. But you wouldn't expect a police car to stop you by holding up a sign that says call my mobile... They have a protocol to follow so that when u don't comply they can wheel u off to a judge. If you ignore their flags even if you had no drugs they can wheel u off to the judge or at least of they damage your boat boarding you they can say 'not ma fault your onour he didnae stop when a told im tae...'
Old 23 August 2014, 07:39   #29

You could argue flag A is out dated on the same basis. Surely a 10 minutely low power 'Securite' message would achieve the same thing...?
Old 23 August 2014, 12:51   #30

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Engine: evinrude 135hp
Man overboard flag, although not that useful, could well be used by a vessel searching for a man overboard, who is lost, or engaged in the recovery of one.
A vessel any bigger than a small yacht would take time to recover a person in the water.
Yes VHF and radios, satchel, etc etc could be used, but what about the people who do not carry a VHF, they might know what the flag means, but probably not.

It is the same as sound signals when turning to port or starboard, I bet nobody does that often, but in Japan in the inland sea, Tokyo, and Osaka bay's, the pilots insist on it.

Semaphore is still in the international code of signals, but no one uses it.

On a similar subject who can name all 15 distress signal listed in the colleges? ( plus 2 additional )
Old 23 August 2014, 12:54   #31

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Engine: evinrude 135hp
Damn predictive text, I mean collision regs