Old 11 May 2014, 07:20   #1

Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Guernsey trip

Can you guys give me any tips on the channel isles. We are getting the ferry over on Thursday and will be mooring in St. Peter port on guernsey . Have done a few launches now with help from some of you but still relatively inexperienced . If weather and conditions are good would like to do some pottering around from guernsey . Not tried a beech land yet is there somewhere easy to practice and suitable to have a beer and BBQ on !!
Old 11 May 2014, 08:08   #2

Town: Exeter
Make: Highfield
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF90
Hi Stevedonna
You have chosen a good time to go - high pressure will be moving in from Tuesday. What time are you arriving? I am working in the CI's later this week, and will be in St Peter Port until 3pm Thursday.
Lots of great places to visit around Guernsey and the Harbour/Marina is really well sheltered. I am no expert, but please read up a bit, as there a lots of underwater rocks etc - I suggest you buy and study a chart before heading out. I am sure somebody will be able to offer better advice than that though.

Try this link as a start for boating in Guernsey; it includes a downloadable map of the harbour etc.

http://www.guernseyharbours.gov.gg/a...inas--Moorings
Old 11 May 2014, 08:19   #3

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Fermain Bay just south of St. Peter Port is a very pleasant spot; you can anchor and swim/paddle ashore where there's a nice cafe. You could always go to Herm as well.
Fermain Beach Cafe Restaurant Reviews, St Peter Port, United Kingdom - TripAdvisor
Old 11 May 2014, 08:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exe treme View Post
Hi Stevedonna
You have chosen a good time to go - high pressure will be moving in from Tuesday. What time are you arriving? I am working in the CI's later this week, and will be in St Peter Port until 3pm Thursday.
Lots of great places to visit around Guernsey and the Harbour/Marina is really well sheltered. I am no expert, but please read up a bit, as there a lots of underwater rocks etc - I suggest you buy and study a chart before heading out. I am sure somebody will be able to offer better advice than that though.

Try this link as a start for boating in Guernsey; it includes a downloadable map of the harbour etc.

http://www.guernseyharbours.gov.gg/a...inas--Moorings

I work outside and never hold my breath on forecasts more than 48 hours but I had noticed that it looks promising . Guess what we arrive at 3.00pm on Thursday !
Old 11 May 2014, 08:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
Fermain Bay just south of St. Peter Port is a very pleasant spot; you can anchor and swim/paddle ashore where there's a nice cafe. You could always go to Herm as well.
Fermain Beach Cafe Restaurant Reviews, St Peter Port, United Kingdom - TripAdvisor

I will make a note and try fermain bay . That sounds great . I did think of heading over to herm . Is Jersey a bit ambitious ?
Old 11 May 2014, 08:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedonna View Post

I work outside and never hold my breath on forecasts more than 48 hours but I had noticed that it looks promising . Guess what we arrive at 3.00pm on Thursday !
Hi again.
Thats a shame - I would have willingly helped with launches otherwise. Let me know if you are ever on the Dorset/Devon coast...?
Quite confident that the weather will hold until the weekend though. Are you on the Vomit Comet or standard ferry?
Old 11 May 2014, 08:37   #7

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Edit: wtf? Dont know where this came from but cant delete it!
Old 11 May 2014, 08:41   #8

Standard ferry . If I remember right from Weymouth but back to Poole .
Old 11 May 2014, 08:50   #9

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Quote:
I will make a note and try fermain bay . That sounds great . I did think of heading over to herm . Is Jersey a bit ambitious ?
Not in a Ribcraft! I've done the trip on a jet ski there and back so it's routine as long as the weather is good.
Old 11 May 2014, 09:12   #10

Just watched your video . Gives us an insight . It's a question of how much we can fit in in a week . It's going to be a stressful balance between dining, having a beer and where to go on the boat !!
Old 11 May 2014, 09:16   #11

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
I've done it plenty of times in yachts, haven't yet taken the RIB over though - is on my "to do" list.

Herm (Shell Bay or beside the half tide harbour are my favourites) will be an easy and short trip in a RIB from Guernsey, and makes a lovely day out. Not that much ashore, but a great, tranquil island to walk around, or enjoy the many beaches.

Sark is probably my favourite Channel Island, always something going on ashore, and you can have a wonderful cycle round the island in a day, stopping for lunch somewhere en-route at one of the many local cafes/restaurants. We normally anchor in Dixcart Bay or La Grande Greve, or pick up a mooring in Le Havre Gosselin. I know some RIB's get permission to stay/dry out in Creux Harbour.

Alderney is only ~20NM away, so not far on a RIB on a good day - plenty of videos on here of people visiting Alderney by RIB.

Definitely make sure you have tide tables and suitable charts for where you're going - plenty of things to look out for around there and large tidal ranges, but the main routes between the island are pretty well marked.

Quite a good guide to the closest anchorages here: Anchorages - Guernsey Harbours .

Regards,

Paul
Old 11 May 2014, 09:23   #12

Great bit of info . Quiet and not a lot about us sounds pretty good to me . I will put a few passages in before we go and then add to this with some local knowledge when we get there . I am never to proud to ask .
Thanks again
Steve
Old 11 May 2014, 09:59   #13

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Great bit of info . Quiet and not a lot about us sounds pretty good to me . I will put a few passages in before we go and then add to this with some local knowledge when we get there . I am never to proud to ask .
Thanks again
Steve
You could always bob over to France for the day. Hit the tide right at MSM & you don't need to do a beach landing, the beach comes to you
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2014, 10:05   #14

Qu'est ce que MSN ?
Old 11 May 2014, 10:24   #15

Je suppose que ca signifique Mont St Michel. Mais si vous allez sud a Brittany, Ile De Brehat est aussi magnifique.
Old 11 May 2014, 10:59   #16

Je suis desole Je va costco . That's about as far as I go but understood you !! I will have a look at distances and weather and see . What are the regs on going to france ?
Old 11 May 2014, 11:35   #17

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
What are the regs on going to france ?
Pikey's probably best placed to answer your question but I seem to recall that an original bill of sale showing the VAT's paid is a good idea...
Old 11 May 2014, 11:45   #18

Bill of sale for what ?
Old 11 May 2014, 11:56   #19

The RYA guidance is here: Paperwork | Boating Abroad | Information & Advice | RYA .

They can ask for documents like proof of VAT paid, ships registration papers, ship's VHF licence, etc. And things like having expired flares onboard (even if there's in date flares also) is illegal.

In practice, I've sailed to France on yachts many times, and never been asked for a single bit of paperwork. We spent 3 weeks cruising in Brittany last year, and they didn't even want to see passports or log us in properly, they were only interesting in ensuring we paid any berthing fees! Possibly they might be more interested in checking RIB's, which are maybe more likely to be used for dubious activities?

If you have someone who speaks French onboard, get them to deal with any questions - they always seem far less worried if you can speak to them in their own language!
Old 11 May 2014, 12:08   #20

Thanks for that . Unfortunately my o level french is marginally the best out of me and ma femme . Although I have been trying to learn a bit more recently . The app I am using is great but it's only as good as the thick head it's trying to penetrate .