Town: Gothenburg
Boat name: Diventure X
Make: Ribcraft 850 SC
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DF300
Send a message via Skype™ to mattiasb
Guernsey to Sweden, trip advise!?

Hi,
I've just bought a new (2008) Rib on Guernsey, this is my 8th Rib and 4 th Rib that I've bought from the UK, two of them I've collected on trailer and ferried to Gothenburg, Sweden and one I've driven the long way... Now this time I'm thinking (and being more or less forced to by my friends) to take her on the water via the UK (tax reasons), Kiel canal, Denmark and then Sweden. This is to be done end March or beginning April. This of course takes some 6P's and I'm hoping to use the forum to get some tips and ideas of anything from routes, equipment, special safety and clearance material for, especially the English channel. And if not, only cheering on and maybe post some nice pics from trips done to cheer us on! We'll be 3-6 pax and if you're a serious Ribster I'm sure I can find a seat for the whole or part of the trip!

Thanx
Matt

Braćhaprylar.com
mattiasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2012, 17:45   #2

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Good luck.

Many people regularly cross from Guernsey to England, normally aiming for Dartmouth, Weymouth or Poole as the closest main harbours/ports. The English Channel is easy in a fast boat. Just watch out for the shipping lanes and avoid any foggy days if you can. Choose some reasonable weather as the Little Russel in Guernsey can get interesting with wind over tide. Remember that fuel in Guernsey will be duty free and tainted green. This may cause you a problem if you get stopped by customs outside of Guernsey and still have some in your tank. Remember also that Guernsey is not part of the EU so VAT might be an issue.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2012, 17:59   #3

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Can be a pretty cold ride that time of the Year? Would it be any point in considering the "inland" route from Ijmuiden to Cuxhaven, gues less exposed if any issues with the boat or bad weather. Good luck anyway!
Old 24 February 2012, 18:13   #4

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-NUMB View Post
Can be a pretty cold ride that time of the Year? Would it be any point in considering the "inland" route from Ijmuiden to Cuxhaven, gues less exposed if any issues with the boat or bad weather. Good luck anyway!
Not a good idea cos you will have a speed restriction all the way.
In 2008 in April four of us travelled by rib from Gdynia Poland to Southampton. The weather was superb. We had a diesel powered rib so we did not experience any problems with fuelling up which maybe the case with petrol. We took the route via the Kiel canal and had a stopover on the Isle of Helgoland.

In 2004 with two other guys we took a Parker 9 mtr cabin from the UK to Gdynia Poland again a diesel powered rib and we took the route round Denmark. This was in August so no weather issues.

In one leg you should make it from the English Channel to Ijmuiden where in the marina there is a Holiday Inn. The next leg should take you all the way to Helgoland via Del Helden for re fuelling. On Helgoland the fuel is duty free so worth stopping and staying there overnight. The next leg should take you through the Kiel and beyond.
This is a fantastic trip and worth doing.
All the best and keep us posted and take loads of photos.